OREGON INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL© is the fastest growing cinema convention in the Pacific Northwest. Fans of true independent film-making are discovering this not-to-be-missed event as a home to the best new film discoveries from all over the world.
The Oregon Independent Film Festival hosts hundreds of screenings that recognize the best new and independent cinema. Showcasing films from legendary directors, newly-discovered filmmakers, while hosting major studio premiere film events each fall.
Screenings are presented in a variety of Oregon's historic cinemas, located across our majestic state, and concluding with weeks of film premieres, award ceremonies, and special events held in Portland, Oregon.
Oregon Film Festival premieres have featured stars including: Nicole Kidman, Laura Linney, Keanu Reeves, Jude Law, Tilda Swinton, Cheech Marin, Ashley Judd, Ethan Hawke, Colin Firth, Benedict Cumberbatch, and so many more...
Past Oregon Independent Film Fest screening premieres include:
- 'The Sparks Brothers' (Dir. Edgar Wright)
- 'Booksmart' (Dir. Olivia Wilde)
- 'The Last Blockbuster' (Dir. Taylor Morden)
- 'A Quiet Place' (Emily Blunt & John Krasinski)
- 'Together Together' (Dir. Nikole Beckwith)
- 'First Reformed' w/Ethan Hawke & Amanda Seyfried (Dir. Paul Schrader)
- 'The Big Sick' (Dir. Michael Showalter, starring Kumail Nanjiani)
- 'It Comes At Night' (Dir. Trey Edward Shults, feat. Joel Edgerton)
- 'Death of Stalin' (featuring Steve Buscemi & Michael Palin)
- 'Dean' (Dir. Demetri Martin, starring Gillian Jacobs, Kevin Kline)
- 'The Neon Demon' (Dir. Nicolas Winding Refn. feat. Elle Fanning)
- 'DePalma' (Dir. Noah Baumbach & Jake Paltrow)
- 'The One I Love' (Mark Duplass & Elisabeth Moss)
- 'Love & Mercy' (John Cusack, Elizabeth Banks, Paul Dano)
- 'Mad Max: Fury Road: Chrome Edition' w/ Charlize Theron & Tom Hardy
Oregon Independent Film Festival is proud to have debuted Philip Seymour Hoffman's directorial effort 'One-Armed Man', as well as unveiling 'Myst' & 'Riven' video game creator Robyn Miller's first film: 'The Immortal Augustus Gladstone'.
Oregon Independent Film Festival's world-renowned Festival Documentary Program has premiered many documentary films that have gone on to achieve widespread acclaim.
'Won't You Be My Neighbor?' (the documentary on Mr. Rogers), 'The Resurrection of Jake The Snake' and the Sean Penn produced 'Human Experiment' (all currently screening on Netflix), activist feature 'As Goes Janesville' (picked up by PBS), the Aretha Franklin concert film 'Amazing Grace' (playing in theaters worldwide) are only a small sample of our festival documentary success stories.
The festival has also been a premiere home to groundbreaking and popular musical documentaries on Quiet Riot, NOFX, Twisted Sister, The Flaming Lips, and Bob Marley.
The festival curates cinema from dozens of countries across the globe each season, helping to create a truly universal event. The annual slate of international feature film premieres have recently included 'The Commune' from director Thomas Vinterberg (Denmark), and 'Shinjuku Swan 2' from director Sion Sono (Japan), as well as our current and multi-year retrospective on the experimental films of Jordan Baseman (U.K.), all such premiere events held alongside our festival's annual showcase of the best new short films from all over the world.
Oregon Independent Film Festival award-winning film 'Neil Stryker and the Tyrant of Time' was picked up for distribution by Freestyle Releasing (and signed at their OIFF screening), and Oregon Independent Film Festival Award Winner 'Zilla & Zoe" was a quarter-finalist in Francis Ford Coppola’s Zoetrope Screenwriting Contest.
Underground horror sensation 'Toad Road' was acquired by Elijah Wood's SpectreVision after winning Best Picture in 2012 at the Oregon Independent Film Festival! Recently, the Australian horror hit 'The Dead Room' also premiered at the Oregon Independent Film Festival before being screened across the USA.
OREGON FILM FESTIVAL SOCIETY
The Oregon Independent Film Festival, as curated and staffed by the volunteers of the Oregon Film Society, is an event that spans across several Oregon cities, and culminates with weeks of film screenings, celebrations, events, parties in Portland, Oregon. Our festivities include our annual Award Ceremony to honor the best independent filmmakers and screenwriters of the past film season.
Thank you for considering the Oregon Independent Film Festival.
The Oregon Independent Film Festival humbly invites you to join our growing film community, by submitting your project today via FilmFreeway!
Oregon Independent Film Festival's Cinema Honors spotlight the best in independent filmmaking across the globe.
Discovering and nurturing filmmaking is at the core of the festival mission, and the Oregon Independent Film Festival celebrates the best cinema work of the year with multiple categories of CINEMA HONORS for Feature Length Narrative Films and Short Films and winners are celebrated at the conclusion of the festival, at an award ceremony held in Portland, Oregon each fall.
Home to a globally-known Documentary Program, the Oregon Independent Film Festival hosts a wide selection of documentary films, and offers multiple categories of awards to promote them.
OIFF also has award categories for screenwriters in both filmed and unpublished screenplays and teleplays, as well as now also offering recognition to Web Content and Web Series film-making.
OIFF Screenplay 1st Place Winner Receives $3,000.00
- All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply.
- Failure to comply with guidelines, rules, & regulations is cause for disqualification.
- By entering this competition: all entrants release any hold the Oregon Independent Film Festival (and it’s Board of Directors, Officers, Staff and Volunteers) have from all losses, damages, rights, claims, and actions of any kind, arising in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from participation with the competition, or in any competition-related film screening (or any other) festival event.
- Applicants must be 18 years of age or older (or have a parent or guardian submit on minors behalf) to enter the competition.
- All entered submissions must be the original work of the author or authors.
- Multiple authorship allowed.
- The Oregon Independent Film Festival reserves the right to determine the eligibility of any project or film submitted.
- Submissions are NOT guaranteed to be promoted, honored, or screened at any event. - - Submission, Entry, and Any Fees are for an inclusion in the Judging Process (from which SOME applicants are then chosen to be honored and/or screened at OIFF events).
- Submissions & Press Materials are not returned.
- DO NOT SEND Original Copies.
- DVD's, BluRay's, and Promotional Materials will not be returned.
- Oregon Independent Film Festival cannot accept or assume responsibility in the event of loss or damage to submission or exhibition or press materials.
- Please respect all Deadlines and Fees.
- Deadlines are postmark deadlines, please have your film in the mail and fees paid within one week of submitting to be considered for submission.
- Filmmakers who postmark submissions after the deadline that they submitted under may be subject to additional fees in order for their film to be considered, with any original fees being considered non-refundable.
- For any revised versions of films or screenplays previously submitted - a new submission fee must be paid, and new tracking number generated.
SCREENING / JUDGING PROCESS
- All films are viewed in their entirety by multiple screeners. Submissions with top pre-screening scores are next sent to Oregon Film Society Programming Judges for additional screenings and further judging reviews. Films with highest reviews and grades are next given to Board Of Directors & Festival Program Directors for final program selection process.
- Festival Program and final festival submission determinations are decided by August.
- Festival Winners will be contacted by email or phone 1-3 months before the festival.
- Please include current Contact Information and be able to be reached prior to event.
- Submissions selected for presentation must send an Exhibition Print for screening.
- Screening times, venues, and cities may be subject to change (or postponement).
- Festival dates are subject to change prior to start of the festival.
- Judging decisions are FINAL.
- If accepted, submitter has two weeks to notify the festival if you do not prefer a screening of your accepted film. By entering festival, you give the festival the right to publicly screen your film one time at our festival.
- By entering you are acknowledging that if festival is not notified within the specified period from notification of acceptance: that film may be screened at the festival.
-By submitting to Oregon Independent Film Festival you are acknowledging that you have ownership and rights to screen the film you have submitted, and you grant the festival these rights to screen your film.
- By entering you agree to all of the Festival Rules and Terms & Conditions below:
TERMS & CONDITIONS
Failure to comply with the guidelines, rules, regulations, terms & conditions and/or eligibility may be cause for disqualification and having your film pulled from screening or competition:
By entering you are admitting to reading and agreeing to follow the General Festival Rules and the Oregon Independent Film Festival Terms and Conditions.
By entering or submitting to any competition you are admitting that you are 18 years of age or older and that you are granting the right to screen your film publicly at least one time in the next year at the Oregon Independent Film Festival.
By entering or submitting to any Oregon Independent Film Festival competition you acknowledge that you are not entitled to any refund or damage claims of any kind if your film is unable to screen due to technical or operational difficulties or if your film needs to be rescheduled or delayed for any reason.
By entering or submitting to any Oregon Independent Film Festival competition you acknowledge that you are not entitled to any refund or damage claims of any kind in regard to the promotion or advertising of your film. By entering or submitting you are agreeing that the Oregon Independent Film Festival is not responsible for films that are missing, damaged, unreadable, lost in transit, or stolen not is the Oregon Independent Film Festival responsible for broken or non-functioning films.
By entering or submitting you are agreeing to reading and understanding the following: Oregon Independent Film Festival reserves the right to refuse service to anyone. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. All fees are non-refundable. All submitted materials become the property of the Oregon Independent Film Festival and will not be returned. By sending your materials to the Oregon Independent Film Festival, you are acknowledge the Oregon Independent Film Festivals right to copy any submitted material, and screen your film or project at least one time in the next 18 months at our Film Festival.
By submitting you are also acknowledging the right to allow Oregon Independent Film Festival use of images and clips from your film or project for the next 48 months on any OIFF website and in any OIFF press materials used to promote the OIFF festival and events, but NOT for any additional commercial use reproductions of your film images and clips. By entering this competition, entrants release and hold the Oregon Independent Film Festival, it’s Members, Board of Directors, Officers, Staff and Volunteers harmless from and against all losses, damages, rights, claims and actions of any kind arising in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from participation with the competition or participation in any competition related activity.
By entering this competition, entrants agree to acknowledge the following: SUBMITTER ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES THAT THEIR USE OF THE WEBSITE, ATTENDANCE AT OREGON INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL EVENTS, OR ENTERING INTO ANY OREGON INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL EVENT, CONTEST, FESTIVAL OR COMPETITION IS AT THEIR SOLE RISK. THE OREGON INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL DOES NOT MAKE ANY REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY AS TO THE ACCURACY, CORRECTNESS, COMPLETENESS OR USEFULNESS OF ANY CONTENT APPEARING ON WEBSITE AND IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN ANY CONTENT APPEARING ON THE WEBSITE, OR GENERALLY FOR THE ACCURACY, RELIABILITY, OR QUALITY OF ANY CONTENT APPEARING ON THE WEBSITE OR ANY OTHER MATERIALS PUBLISHED, UNPUBLISHED OR DISTRIBUTED BY THE OREGON INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL, OR ITS AFFILIATES. THE OREGON INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY FAILURES, DELAYS OR INTERRUPTIONS OF THE WEBSITE. THE WEBSITE IS PROVIDED TO YOU “AS IS” AND THE OREGON INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL MAKES NO REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY OF ANY KIND TO YOU, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. SPECIFICALLY, THE OREGON INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL DISCLAIMS ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY, AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL THE OREGON INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE CAUSED BY YOUR RELIANCE ON CONTENT OBTAINED THROUGH THE WEBSITE OR CAUSED BY YOUR CONDUCT. THE OREGON INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL DOES NOT GUARANTEE CONTINUOUS, UNINTERRUPTED OR SECURE ACCESS TO THE WEBSITE, AND THE OPERATION OF THE WEBSITE MAY BE INTERFERED WITH BY NUMEROUS FACTORS OUTSIDE OF OUR CONTROL. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE OREGON INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL BE LIABLE FOR INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH USE OF THE WEBSITE / ATTENDANCE AT ANY EVENT / ENTERING ANY COMPETITION / SUBMITTING ANY WORK FOR IFS REVIEW OR SCREENING, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION FOR LOST PROFITS OR BUSINESS, OR ANTICIPATED LOST PROFITS OR BUSINESS, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. OREGON INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL AND ITS AFFILIATES AGGREGATE LIABILITY TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCE ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THE WEBSITE OR THIS AGREEMENT IS LIMITED TO $500. Submitter (You) agree to indemnify, defend and hold The OREGON INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL harmless from any claim, expense or demand, including without limitation reasonable attorneys fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of your breach of this Agreement, or your violation of any law or the rights of a third party.
You agree to receive service of process through certified mail or by other means sanctioned by law, and you expressly waive any claim of improper venue and any claim that such courts are an inconvenient forum. If any provision of this Agreement is held to be invalid or unenforceable, such provision shall be struck and the remaining provisions shall be enforced.
You agree that this Agreement may be automatically assigned by The OREGON INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL, in its sole discretion, to a third party. Section headings are for reference purposes only and in no way define, limit, construe or describe the scope or extent of such section. Our failure to act with respect to a breach by you or others does not waive our right to act with respect to subsequent or similar breaches. This Agreement, along with any other terms and conditions regulating use of the Website, sets forth the entire understanding and agreement between us with respect to the subject matter hereof. The provisions of this Agreement and any ancillary terms and conditions will survive termination or expiration to the extent necessary to carry out the intentions of the parties.
All content contained on OREGON INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL (OIFF) Website, including but not limited to video, clips, photographs, text, graphics, logos, icons, images and software (collectively, “Content”), is the property of OREGON INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL and is protected by U.S. and/or international copyright laws. Any reproduction, modification, distribution, transmission, republication, display or performance of the content contained is strictly prohibited. If you use material appearing on the Website contrary as set forth in the Agreement, you may be liable for infringement, misappropriation or other causes of action to the fullest extent of the law. Unless otherwise indicated, all names, graphics, designs, logos, page headers, button icons, scripts, commercial markings, trade dress, and service names included in the Website are trademarks of the OREGON INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL and are protected by the trademark laws of the United States and other jurisdictions. You may not use, copy, reproduce, republish, distribute, modify or post any Trademarks in any way, including in advertising or publicity pertaining to or distribution of materials on the Website, without our prior written consent. The Trademarks may not be used in any manner that is likely to cause confusion, or in any manner that disparages or discredits us. You acknowledge and agree that your only remedy for failures, delays or interruptions with respect to the ordering of and delivery of passes ordered by you through the Website or submissions sent through the website or any partner or affiliate is limited to a refund for such passes, issued at the discretion of the OREGON INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL.
Entrants warrant that they have the legal right to enter film work to the OREGON INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL. As Director/Producer/Submitter of the OIFF/FilmFreeway SUBMISSION, entrant(s) represent and warrant to OREGON INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL that the Film or Screenplay and all parts thereof are original; that the submission does not contravene the rights of any person or entity and that entrants own or control the Film and all parts thereof and have the sole authority to submit the Film to the OREGON INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL; the Film entrants submitted to the OREGON INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL is not subject to nor threatened by any litigation. Entrants acknowledge that no fiduciary or confidential relationship now exists between the Festival and entrants, and entrants further acknowledge that no such relationship is established by these guidelines, the submission of the Film, or by the OREGON INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL acceptance, review, or retention of any Film, Video, Television, Cinema, Virtual Reality, Teleplay, or Screenplay submission.