December 5 – 9, 2019
Moviemento, Berlin, Germany
The Festival of Romani Film AKE DIKHEA?, in Romani language for YOU SEE?, is an international festival of films by and with Romani people / Gypsies which takes place for the third time between 5 and 9 December 2019 in Berlin. It presents the whole world from the perspective of Romani people: Which topics are important, how do we see ourselves, how do we want to be seen? It’s time to stop waiting for getting a voice. We create our own space and decide by ourselves about the content and forms of the events.
In five festival days, we present:
- the best films by and about Romani people /Gypsies with live talks with the filmmakers and protagonist from whole world,
- opening evening with VIP guests and closing award ceremony
- special workshops explaining Antigypsyism in film, designed for filmmakers as well as for wide public,
- panel discussions about the (re)presentation of Romani people in film and media,
- parties and concerts with Romani bands and DJs,
- screenings for schools.
AKE DIKHEA? means self-determination, open-minded creativity and respect for everyone. From this reason, Romani film professionals are crucial for the selecting process as well as for the festival event itself - we gather and make the work of Romani filmmakers, producers and other professionals visible!
All films selected by the jury to be screened at AKE DIKHEA? will recieve the designation "Official Selection". The jury also grants the Best Film Award and the audience chooses the Audience Award.
- Only individuals or organisations defining themselves as Romani/Gypsy individual or Romani/Gypsy organisations can propose films.
- Only film by Romani and non-Romani filmmakers with the highest level of critical reflection on prejudices towards Romani people can be accepted.
- AKE DIKHEA? accepts all forms and genres. Films must be submitted via online screener (Vimeo, YouTube, or FilmFreeway Screener).
- There is no entry fee.
- Both short film and feature films can be submitted.
- No submissions of videos available freely online for streaming or download.
- There are no restrictions regarding the year of production.
- If the spoken language in the video is not English, the video must have subtitles in English. We offer support with the translation into English language, if needed.
- We do not accept preview versions – only finished videos ready for presentation at the Festival may be submitted. It is not possible to submit new versions of a video after the deadline.
The filmmaker holds AKE DIKHEA?, its management, juries, subsidiaries, agents, sponsors, affiliates, and etc. harmless from any and all claims of liability resulting from entry. The filmmaker certifies to have full rights. Producer will indemnify the organisers of the Festival against all claims, demands, costs, damages, expenses (including legal fees), proceedings and losses resulting from the screening of the film at the Festival or from claims by any third parties.