Bangkok Underground Film Festival serves as a diverse platform for filmmakers from all walks of life & from all parts of the world who are serving to tell the stories which may have had limited exposure to wider culture. We celebrate emerging and unconventional cinema that may have been overlooked in the hustle of mainstream media. Invitations are open to the bizarre, the specific, the confronting and the abstract with the goal of enriching culture and broadening the boundaries of cinema.
This festival is part of the 2018 Bangkok Biennial.
• 18-19 Nov 2017: Bangkok Underground Cinema Shorts at Noise Market 7, Museum Siam, Bangkok
• 2-3 Jun 2017: Bangkok Underground Film Festival at Noise Market 6, Museum Siam, Bangkok
• 25 Feb-5 Mar 2017: Bangkok Underground Film Festival 2017 at Arunkarn, Bridge Art Space & Gallery VER carpark, Bangkok
• 21-22 Nov 2015: Bangkok Underground Cinema at Noise Market 5, Museum Siam, Bangkok
Cash prize for the category of 'Best Film' - ฿20,000thb
To be awarded by the festival organisers at Gallery VER on the 30th of September 2018 and collected in person at the festival.
- Submissions from anywhere in the world are welcome from any genre within the specified categories.
- All entries must be by digital file submission. H.264 is preferred. We do not have facilities to screen DCP’s, blu-ray, DVD or other formats.
- All submissions should conform to PAL standard.
- All films to be either in English or Thai language with English subtitles, and non-English language films must have English subtitles. Thai language subtitles are strongly preferred for all films not in Thai language. It’s possible that some dialogue intensive films which are not in Thai language and submitted without Thai subtitles may require Thai language captioning in order to be included in the programme which could incur an additional cost, which will be communicated accordingly. If you have questions about this prior to submitting please contact us.
- Cash prize to be awarded at the festival on the 30th of September at Gallery VER in Bangkok, Thailand. Failure to collect the cash prize in person on that date will result in the prize being forfeited.
- Hardcoded subtitles are preferred. Yellow subtitles are preferred for visibility.
- All submissions will be considered for any of our 3 screenings in 2018:
• 30 June - 1 July 2018: Bangkok Underground Cinema Screening at Norm Market by Noise Market at Dadfa, Bangkok
• 29-30 September 2018: Bangkok Underground Film Festival 2018 at Gallery VER, Bangkok
• 17-18 November 2018: Bangkok Underground Cinema Screening at Noise Market 8 at Museum Siam, Bangkok
- By submitting you are declaring that you are the legal and rightful owner of the work being submitted and you are granting us permission to screen your work at Bangkok Underground Film Festival 2018 and Bangkok Underground Cinema events including our collaborative events with ‘Noise Market’ scheduled for 2018 in Bangkok, Thailand.
- All fee-paying entries will be considered for the monetary prize by the organisers and prize will be awarded on the basis merit at the full discretion of the organisers. Cash prize will only be awarded to filmmakers who are present for the event and cannot be transferred overseas.
- The filmmaker holds Bangkok Underground Film Festival, its management, juries, subsidiaries, agents, sponsors, affiliates, and etc. harmless from any and all claims of liability resulting from entry. The filmmaker certifies to have full rights. Submitters will indemnify the organizers of the Festival against all claims, demands, costs, damages, expenses (including legal fees), proceedings and losses resulting from the screening of the film at the Festival or from claims by any third parties.
- We reserve the right to update our terms and conditions, prizes, schedule and and programme at any time without notice.
- Although we do our best communicating with filmmakers, Submitters should understand that it may not be possible to convey all details to all submitters at all times. Submitters are therefore encouraged to follow our website and facebook page as the primary way to stay updated about our programme, schedule and further developments.
Our website can be found at:
Facebook page can be found at: https://www.facebook.com/BangkokUndergroundFilmFestival/