Artemis Motion Pictures brings you the first film festival dedicated to honoring female action and empowerment heroes. Our sixth edition marks a continued celebration of powerful women taking action onscreen. From female action heroes to female activists, we shine a spotlight on women in narrative, documentary and animated films who are fearless, fierce, and revolutionary.
AWIAFF extols the women who kick ass and change culture! Film has both the power to entertain and to awaken - to awaken awareness of the dynamic and powerful roles of women in our society and throughout the world. Our festival mission is to both kick ass and open minds.
Submit all narrative, animated, and documentary FILMS and SCRIPTS in any genre featuring women starring or co-starring as a physical action and/or empowerment characters.
Submit all MUSIC in any genre that is a film score, composition, song, or theme song created by female composers, female led bands, and female solo artists.
All categories are competition categories with awards in each category.
IF YOU SUBMIT PLEASE WHITELIST: @ArtemisFilmFestival.com & @ArtemisMotionPictures.com to ensure that you receive our email communication. Every submitter is sent email confirmation of submission as well as follow up communication.
PLEASE NOTE: In October 2019, the 6th edition dates were adjusted to April 22-25, 2021 due to a venue loss. Notification of official selection was also adjusted to approx. Jan. 15, 2021.
Once AGAIN! So many thanks to Paul Feig for presenting our 2019 edition. He was joined by sponsors Agenda Magazine, Bella Composers, Action Factory, Santa Monica Daily Press, The Argonaut, Final Draft, ActorsGuru, New York Film Academy, Entertainment Partners, Complete Production Group Hollywood, Habibi Bath & Body, and others.
From stunt panels to screening marathons, the Artemis Women In Action Film Festival Fifth Edition was an incredible experience lasting four days. On April 25, 2019, actress Chase Masterson hosted the Artemis Awards Gala, in recognition of industry pros that represent female action and empowerment heroes at their best. 2019 Honorees were director Kimberly Peirce, actresses Daniela Ruah, Dot-Marie Jones, Levy Tran; stunt performers/coordinators/action designers Jeannie Epper, Melissa R. Stubbs, Shauna Duggins, Lisa Hoyle, Mahsa Ahmadi, Crystal Michelle, and Dejay Roestenberg.
The festival expanded to include music competitions for female solo artists, bands and composers. The music competition was sponsored by Bella Composers.
Saturday and Sunday, April 25th-26th, were filled with panel discussions centering on topics of women in the film business, women in music, the business of female driven content, stuntwomen, writing, creating action, anti-bullying , etc. Festival attendees and filmmakers were served an incredible lineup of screenings, industry networking, and social interactions. Festival participants enjoyed panel discussions featuring Teresa Huang, Chase Masterson, Cady McClain, Kiki Ebsen, Debbie Evans, and many other respected industry professionals.
Opening films for the 5th edition were: THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING, STUNTWOMEN: THE UNTOLD HOLLYWOOD STORY, SEEING IS BELIEVING: WOMEN DIRECT, REEL WOMEN SEEN and RANGE RUNNERS. The atmosphere was electric as Artemis moviegoers lined up for the opening night attractions.
And for the very first time, Agenda Magazine commemorated AWAIFF in a special collectors edition.
80 films were screened at our 2019 edition, submissions came in from approximately 35 countries, approximately 50% of filmmakers in official selections were in attendance and 100% percent of the screened content prominently featured women (as ALWAYS!).
Artemis Awards are presented for Best Film, Best Director, Best Documentary, Best Actress, Best Actor, Best Fight Scene, Best Action Sequence, Best Screenplay, Best Film Score, Best Song, etc.
Filmmakers and Screenwriters will receive:
• Marketing prize packagers
• Final Draft script writing software. Final Draft is the industry standard in screenwriting software allowing writers to focus on what they do best – writing scripts. Value: 249.00
• InkTip Script Listing: A listing of your script on InkTip so that producers and reps can find you. Producers have made more than 200 films from scripts and writers they found through InkTip. Value: 100.00
Prizes will be updated throughout the year
• FILM - Gender of writers, directors, producers, etc is immaterial for qualification.
• MUSIC - Gender of creators must be female or female led.
COMPETITION RULES AND REGULATIONS:
Films must be submitted on Region 1 DVD, media on flash or data DVD, Region 1 Blu-Ray or via online screener for preselection. Screenplays can be submitted digitally or by regular mail. Music can be provided email, in .mp3, .aac, .aif, and .wav formats. Selected films MUST provide Region 1 BluRay and/or 1920x1080 ProRes Quicktime for screening at the festival (see notes below). Features longer than 75 minutes can elect to screen via DCP. If you are unable or unwilling to provide your film or screenplay in the outlined formats, please do not submit.
All film submissions should have a production date no earlier than January 2016 for the 2020 edition. Music does not have a production date restriction.
All foreign language films must be subtitled in English for pre-selection and screening.
Narrative and Documentary films with U.S. distribution (obtained prior to being selected for AWAIFF screening) or films produced, financed or initiated by a major film studio or television network are ineligible for competition, but may be considered for a special screening. Films that have screened on US network or cable television or distributed to theaters prior to the festival dates are also ineligible for competition. Selection for screening will be determined no later than six weeks prior to the festival.
Refunds are not available.
SCREENING FORMAT DELIVERABLES:
• Features over 75 minutes: Region 1 Blu-Ray disc OR DCP only.
• Features under 75 minutes: digital 1920x1080 Pro Res Quicktime AND Region 1 Blu-Ray disc.
• Shorts: digital 1920x1080 Pro Res Quicktime AND Region 1 BluRay.
• Narrative films under 75 minutes and all short films selected for screening will require digital file delivery of 1920x1080 Pro Res Quicktime AND Region 1 BluRay disc. Be prepared to supply BOTH deliverables. ••••• Why we ask for ProRes files: We program many shorts ‘blocks’ featuring between 3 and 9 shorts. Our theater REQUIRES a single BluRay be created for that screening. This practice also affords giving audiences the best viewing experience possible and provides amazing latitude to create the best BluRay possible for all the films in the block.
• Determination of screening format cannot be ascertained until festival programming is done.
• If you cannot provide the above, do not submit your film.
• Blu-Ray screeners and flash drives are not returned.
• Should filmmakers require AWIAFF to author a Region 1 Blu-Ray screener, the filmmaker will reimburse AWIAFF for authoring and media costs.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
You, the entrant, acknowledge and agree as follows:
• You certify, by completion of any AWAIFF online submission form, that you have the legal right and authority to enter the film, screenplay or music (property) into The Artemis Women in Action Film Festival.
• By submitting your property to Artemis Women in Action Film Festival, you acknowledge that you have read, understand and agree to, and will abide by all the terms and conditions of submission of materials to this festival competition, which are listed in this release and on this webpage.
• You certify you have read, understood, and complied with all eligibility requirements.
• If the property is selected, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless AWIAFF from any claims that arise as a result of this submission or screening of your property as well as from damage to or loss of any submitted materials en route to the festival.
• Your submitted property is not subject to any claims or litigation and is not threatened by any claims or litigation.
• By submitting your property, you agree the festival may use your poster art, screengrabs, trailers/trailer links, etc. for social media and marketing purposes of the festival.
• By utilizing any of the submission options/platforms available herein, you hereby declare that all the above statements are true to the best of your knowledge and belief.