The Windsor International Film Festival (hereafter WIFF) has been named the largest volunteer-run film festival in Canada by TIFF Film Circuit partners, selling over 45,000 tickets in 2023. The upcoming festival is scheduled for 11 days (October 26–November 5, 2023), intends to present more than 300 screenings, and will offer audiences 4 screening venues throughout downtown Windsor.
- WIFF is proud to partner with HotDocs to showcase some of the best documentaries during the festival with the HotDocs Showcase.
- WIFF has the largest slate of Francophone Films screened out of any other film festival in all of Canada, including Quebec.
- WIFF is proud to highlight important films by and about women with their Women of WIFF dedicated programming.
- WIFF highlights an impressive roster of LGBTQ2+ films from a wide range of titles that span the world.
- WIFF dedicates other highlighted programming slates to the Celebration of Music, Spotlight on Architecture, WIFF Local, Midnight Madness, and Special Anniversary Screenings.
To kick-off the festival, WIFF is planning a 4-day (October 26-29, 2022) grand opening weekend comprising an extensive film schedule, a special opening night film, a spectacular opening night reception, celebrity guest appearances, national and international media coverage, and the impressive WIFF Prize in Canadian Film.
LIUNA! PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARD
All films screened during the festival dates are entered to win the festival's most coveted prize, the Liuna! People's Choice Award. This award is chosen by the audiences through a rank and vote system to determine the most loved film at the festival by all audiences.
Festival Dates - OCTOBER 26 - NOVEMBER 5, 2023
WIFF is delighted to support and promote the talents of our local filmmakers.
WIFF is a not-for-profit organization enriching audiences across Windsor-Essex and Greater Detroit by showcasing Canadian, local, and international feature films of artistic and cultural significance. As part of its mandate, WIFF is committed to promoting and fostering local films and filmmakers. The 48-hour FlickFest, for example, was initiated as a vehicle for local emerging film artists to showcase their talents. WIFF also supports Windsor-Essex filmmakers by welcoming short and feature film submissions for programming consideration to the core festival. Films will be selected based on quality and originality and their ability to contribute significantly to the overall success of WIFF 2022.
2. SUBMISSION GUIDELINES:
WIFF will consider fiction and documentary feature films of 50 minutes and over and short films under 20 minutes.
3. ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS:
i) The film must be a premiere screening for Windsor-Essex that has not been:
(a) screened commercially, publicly, or broadcast in greater Windsor/Essex, or
(b) made available to stream publicly anywhere on the internet before November 7, 2022.
ii) At least one of the producers, writers, directors, and/or lead actors must be a current resident of Windsor-Essex,
iii) One film representative must attend the screening and be available for a post-screening Q + A and/or panel discussion.
iv) Entry Format: Films with commentary or dialogue in languages other than English must be subtitled in English for consideration. Preview copies of entries must be submitted on filmfreeway.com with a password protected/or private Vimeo or YouTube link that is available until the notification date of September 30.
v) The film must have a completion date after August 3, 2019.
4. DEADLINE: The submission deadline is Monday, August 11, 2022.
Early submission is recommended. Late entries will not be considered.
(i)An independent jury of film professionals will select all ‘Local’ films presented at the festival.
(ii) The WIFF programming committee schedules films and reserves the right to make changes and/or amendments to the selection process for any unforeseen situation not covered by these guidelines.
(iii) If your film is accepted, you must provide your film to WIFF in a Presentation Format as specified by WIFF upon acceptance by September 6, 2022.
PRESENTATION FORMAT: If selected for official programming.
- While not yet mandatory, the inclusion of Closed Captioning is preferred and will become mandatory in future years.
- Digital submission via dropbox, WeTransfer, Google Drive, Cinesend, etc.
- No physical media will be accepted.
- Professionally authored DCPs are accepted, but digital file submission is preferred
- Resolutions Accepted: 1920x1080; 1998x1080; 2048x858
- Formats Accepted: ProRes; .mov; High-quality H.264 MP4;
- 50 minimum bitrate, 2 Pass if possible
- Stereo audio is perfectly acceptable
- 5.1 splits preferred if available
- 5.1 Audio layout:
- 1 - Left (Front)
- 2 - Right (Front)
- 3 - Centre (Front)
- 4 - LFE
- 5 - Left Surround (Rear)
- 6 - Right Surround (Rear)
Filmmakers selected to participate in WIFF “Local” 2022 will be notified by Monday, September 30, 2022.
7. SUBMISSION MATERIAL AND PROCEDURE:
Please submit your application, application fee, and a private, secure, password-protected link to submission through Film Freeway.