CALLING ALL CREEPS!
You are cordially invited to take part in The Thing In The Basement Horror Fest! The aim is to celebrate independent artists within the horror community, whether they be filmmakers, photographers, screenwriters, animators, painters, or musicians, you have found a home with us!
Although live events are up in the air due to Covid-19, awards and seasons will go on as planned. News and updates on live screenings will come as we move toward phase 4. This entire lock-down thing has been just insane! In light of this, there’s now a Quarantine Category. Let’s see all those lock-down videos.
Aside from live screenings (when it's safe due to Covid-19) of fantastic indie genre films, there will be multiple raffles throughout the event, merch booths, filmmaker and artist meet and greets, and an award ceremony to conclude each event!
Accepting films of any length that fall anywhere within the realm of Horror, Science Fiction, Thriller, Drama, Mystery, Comedy, and anything in between. Don't be afraid to expand the spectrum of any of these genres! Scary, bloody, crude, animated, experimental, arthouse, or straight up bizarre; whatever you feel like sharing, We want to see it! We don't care about budget, We care about passion, so don't hold anything back!
Winning photography and art submissions may be printed and displayed at the venue, where guests may admire your work at the beginning and end of the event, as well as during any intermissions!
COVER YOUR EYES!
Any film that receives an official selection will remain in consideration for future live screenings, so even if your film isn’t screened for the event that you submitted to due to time constraints, we will keep them on standby so that we may work them into future screening slots at no extra cost, as well as promote them across our social media!
-All Official Selections will receive a custom digital laurel created by the amazing Dave Dick, for promotional use on your social media, film posters, photography, or anything else you can think of!
-All Award Winners will be presented a personalized horror-themed certificate at the award ceremony, or it will be shipped directly to their house if they are not able to attend!
***OVERALL CATEGORIES ELIGIBLE FOR AWARDS***
Best Micro Short
Best Extended Short
Best Score/Sound Design
Best Digital Art
Best Quarantine Film
Best Film Trailer
Best Music Video
***SUB-CATEGORIES ELIGIBLE FOR PERSONALIZED CERTIFICATE OF ACHIEVEMENT***
Best Science Fiction
***ODDITIES AND CURIOSITIES***
Multiple raffles will be held throughout each event, giving everyone a chance to walk away with strange and unique prizes!
THE THING IN THE BASEMENT HORROR FEST SUBMISSION RULES & TERMS
1. Submission categories are open to the United States as well as international entries. Everyone is welcome!
2. We are currently only accepting submissions through FilmFreeway. All entries must have an online screener. We are not currently accepting DVD's or Blu-Ray screeners.
3. Foreign language entries must have English subtitles, but are more than welcome!
4. Applicants may submit as many entries as they wish, as long as each submission has a separate entry form and fee.
5. Entries must include contact information, with both an email address and phone number if possible.
6. Please make sure each project has the complete cast and crew listing (in case your project wins a certificate in specialized categories.)
7. You agree that you own the necessary rights to any and all materials featured within your project.
8. Your consent to print and display your photography or artwork in the theater lobby so the guests may admire your work at the beginning and end of the event, as well as during any intermissions.
9. You do not hold The Thing In The Basement Horror Fest, the owners of the theater, or any other staff, judges or personnel associated with the festival, responsible for any claims of liability, losses, copyright infringement, trademarks, or credits resulting from your entry.
10. You give full permission to the festival to use still, titles, and/or other information from your film for promotional purposes online via social media.
11. There are no restrictions on when or where your film was produced, send us whatever you would like to share!
12. All films will be considered regardless of budget. Judging is based on creativity, writing, directing, cinematography, and acting performances, as well as passion for the craft of filmmaking, and art as a whole. We will never dismiss a project based on budget or production value.
13. Submission fees are not refundable.