The "Fiorenzo Serra" Visual Anthropology Laboratory of the Società Umanitaria-Cineteca Sarda, with the collaboration of the History Department of the University of Sassari, announces the third edition of the FIORENZO SERRA FILM FESTIVAL, for ethnographic productions.
This year's theme is: "material and symbolic aspects of pastoral culture", a subject very dear to Fiorenzo Serra "Sardinian illustrious", undisputed master of reality cinema, pioneer of Visual Anthropology on the Island.
The awards, offered by the Società Umanitaria-Cineteca Sarda, are three for the top three.
There is also a "special Antonio Simon Mossa prize", dedicated to the memory of the famous Sassari filmmaker, a close friend of Fiorenzo Serra, to be assigned to one of the out-of-competition films.
Registration is open, the deadline for participating is the 15 October 2019.
For info and contacts:
First prize 3000 euros
Second prize 2000 euros
Third prize 1000 euros
"FIORENZO SERRA FILM FESTIVAL”
Awards for film productions and ethnographic documentaries
Art. 1 – PURPOSE
The "Fiorenzo Serra" Visual Anthropology Workshop, managed by the Department of History, Human Sciences and Education of the University of Sassari (from now on, called "Department") and the Società Umanitaria - Cineteca Sarda (from now on, called “Film Archive“), as part of a project aimed at enhancing public awareness of the director, filmmaker and ethnologist Fiorenzo Serra, announce for the year 2019 the Competition for ethnographic film productions titled “Fiorenzo Serra Film Festival”. The definition “film production" (from now on, “film”) means any audiovisual product, be it a fiction or a documentary film, produced using analogue or digital technologies.
The competition aims to promote the production of films that can contribute to the awareness of ethnographic cultural realities through the audiovisual medium and pursues the objective of protecting and implementing, in a scientific and systematic manner, national and foreign audiovisual productions concerning the ethnographic, archaeological, historical, cultural-linguistic and environmental heritages. The competition also has the function of better defining, within the framework of the theoretical-methodological debate of the demo-ethno-anthropological disciplines, not only the important role of visual anthropology, but also the objective of supporting the realization of audiovisual documentation concerning the identity and the cultural specificities of Sardinia, as well as the different national and international social realities.
The competition, which until the 2018 edition was named "Competition Fiorenzo Serra for films and ethnographic documentaries" from the 2019 edition onwards will be called "Fiorenzo Serra Film Festival".
Art. 2 - THEME AND DEADLINE
The competition is thematic in nature and, in each edition, will invite to submit films concerning various aspects of Sardinian, national and international ethnographic and historical-cultural realities. The theme of the second edition of the competition is "material and symbolic aspects of pastoral culture".
The deadline for the films’ submission and the required documentation (see Article 5) is the 15th of October 2019, at 11.59pm. The postmark will serve as proof of the date of submission. In this regard, it is advisable to send the required material by a registered parcel with a return ticket. Submissions that although being sent within the established deadline, will not reach the secretariat within seven days after the deadline (ie, October 22, 2019, 12:00), will not be accepted.
Art. 3 – AWARDS
The awards are three (3) and are as follows:
€ 3,000.00 award to the first film;
€ 2,000.00 award to the second film;
€ 1,000.00 award to the third film.
The awards are given to the signer of the registration form.
There will be a special mention called "Antonio Simon Mossa special prize", dedicated to the memory of the famous Sassari filmmaker, a close friend of Fiorenzo Serra, which will be assigned to one of the out-of-competition films (ie films regularly registered concerning aspects not strictly related to the theme of the third edition).
Art. 4 - CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION
1) Participation in the competition is free and open to all, regardless of age or nationality. Each author or group of authors can send more than one film, but only one of them can be awarded.
2) All audiovisual products, professional or non-professional, published or unpublished, filmed in any part of the world, without limits of production year, may participate in the competition, even if they have been submitted to other competitions or festivals, as long as the theme is the one indicated in art. 2.
3) The films may be produced in any format and support, but only those with a resolution equal to or greater than 720p will be taken into consideration. In order to take part in the competition, the film can be sent via the internet; however, it is also possible to send it through ordinary mail (always complying with the minimum resolution standard of 720p). In any case, the two methods of sending must contain all the required documentation.
4) Foreign films will have to be subtitled, preferably in Italian or alternatively in English.
5) Films for which there is no full ownership of the rights to participate in the competition and for public screening are not allowed to participate.
6) Advertising films are not allowed, exclusively musical documentaries and editorial film-videos, of an expressly promotional or commercial type, are not allowed. Films which harm human rights and dignity in any way are not allowed.
7) The signer of registration form for the competition is fully responsible for all the responsibilities deriving from an improper use of the film against the producer and/or any third part that may feel offended due to the contents of the film.
8) The cost of sending the materials is a responsibility of the participant.
9) The organization owes nothing to those who submit a film to the competition, either in a personal capacity or as a rent for the film or to the benefit of the producer or distributor.
10) Participation in the competition automatically implies full acceptance of these rules.
Art. 5 - FORM OF PARTICIPATION
For the purposes of a correct participation, a registration form is available and must be completed by the person presenting the work, in its entirety and original signed.
Registration can be made on the site: www.fiorenzoserrafilmfestival.it.
The registration form and the competition announcement are available on the websites: www.lacinetecasarda.it; the Facebook page Laboratorio di Antropologia Visuale Fiorenzo Serra; www.dissufdidattica.uniss.it; www.uniss.it.
The film and the required documentation, if sent by ordinary mail, must be placed in a closed envelope showing on the outside, on both sides, the heading "FIORENZO SERRA FILM FESTIVAL 2019", and sent by the deadline, to the following address: Laboratorio di Antropologia Visuale Fiorenzo Serra, Dipartimento di Storia, Scienze dell’Uomo e della Formazione V.le Umberto I n°52, 07100 Sassari. The digital copy can be sent through the web to the e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. In both cases, the sending must be complete with all the required materials and the complete documentation.
The documentation must contain:
1. the registration form, originally signed;
2. the film in digital format with a minimum resolution of 720p; alternatively, with regards to the physical transmission, 5 DVD copies, with a minimum resolution of 720p;
3. a trailer or extracts from the film that will be used in the competition’s promotion;
4. the synopsis of the film in Italian and English (max 600 characters) in Word format;
5. biography and filmography of the author or authors in Italian and English (max 1000 characters) in Word or PDF format;
6. technical sheet of the film, with cast & credits, in Italian and English, and the list of the musical tracks (author and title of the track) used in the soundtrack;
7. at least three stage photographs (jpeg format - 300 pixels / inch);
8. one or more photos of the author or authors (jpeg format - 300 pixels / inch).
We also recommend sending informative material about the film and the authors (for example, a pressbook); this information will be used in the communication with the press for the promotion of the competition. International shipments by postal or courier service, coming from non-EU countries, must be accompanied by a proforma invoice "for cultural use only, without commercial value". The organization of the festival will not be charged with customs fees. The sending of the parcel containing the material can be reported to the secretariat of the competition at the following email address: email@example.com.
All the materials sent, both films and documentation, will not be returned and will be kept at the Archives of the Anthropology Workshop "Fiorenzo Serra" and of the Film Archive, for exclusive cultural and educational purposes. For any doubt or request for clarification, contact the secretariat of the Competition at the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Art. 6 – LIABILITIES
By signing the registration form the author declares: a) that the work submitted does not violate any laws and regulations in force or rights of third parties; b) to be the holder of all the rights to use the work and the music (including providing adequate documentation); c) to relieve the organization of all losses, damages, liabilities, costs and charges of any kind that may be incurred due to the content of its work and its public display; d) to irrevocably renounce any claim and any action, request or recourse against the organizers of the Competition (Department of History, Human Sciences of the University of Sassari and Società Umanitaria - Cineteca Sarda), members of the Jury, and of all the people involved in the competition in any way and relieves them from any responsibility in this regard.
Art. 7 - PRESELECTION AND JURY
The competition will be divided into three phases.
1st phase: the films received within the deadline will be pre-selected by a commission composed of the promoters of the competition, the "Fiorenzo Serra" Workshop and the Film Archive. Films received after seven days from the expiry of the competition (see Article 2) and those submitted without the required, complete and correct documentation (see Articles 4 and 5) will be excluded from the pre-selection. The authors of the film will receive communication by mail of their selection to the final competition.
2nd phase: The selected films will be examined by a jury nominated by the promoters of the competition. The awards will take place following the unquestionable judgment of the jury, that will be solely responsible for identifying the winners.
3rd phase: A public event with the screening of the films in competition, or a further selection of the same, which will end with the public award ceremony with the announcement of the winners (see art.8).
The jury will be composed of 5 members, with the following criteria: an expert in ethno-demo-anthropological disciplines; a cinema expert; a personality from the world of culture; a member appointed by the "Fiorenzo Serra" Anthropology Workshop; a member appointed by the Società Umanitaria - Cineteca Sarda. The jury will elect a "jury president" among its members.
The awards will be given to the films that will best address the theme of the competition. Therefore, the jury will be asked to evaluate the thematic relevance, the communicative and directorial effectiveness expressed in the narrative and aesthetic dimension of the film and any other elements that it considers appropriate to consider for the identification of the winners. The jury can decide to assign a maximum of 2 (two) ex-aequo prizes for the 1st and 2nd place and, in that case, the award will be shared equally among the winners. For the 3rd award, the ex-aequo is not allowed.
The winners of the competition will be contacted 15 days before the award ceremony in order to organise and guarantee their presence for the awards ceremony. The winners are bound by secret regarding the award, which must be made public only on the day of the award ceremony. Any advance dissemination of the news by the winner will result in the cancellation and non-recognition of the sum provided for the award.
Art. 8 - PUBLIC MANIFESTATION
The films selected and evaluated by the jury, in the context of the competition, will be screened to the audience in an event that will be held at the end of the competition, by December 31, 2019. The event will end with the awarding of the winners. The promoters hold all organizational choices regarding the event.
Art. 9 - ARBITRATION AND FINAL CLAUSE
Any dispute that may arise in relation to the relationships covered by this regulation shall be referred to the judgment of an arbitration panel, made up of three members, of which: a) one, acting as chairman of the arbitration panel, will be appointed by common agreement of the director of the Società Umanitaria - Cineteca Sarda and the Director of the Department; b) one nominated by the competitor; c) one appointed by common agreement by the persons referred to in the previous two points a) and b) or, in the absence of an agreement, by the President of the Court of Sassari.
For any exception not covered by this regulation, the organization of the competition has the right to take final decisions. This regulation is written in Italian and English. In case of interpretative problems, the Italian version is held valid.
Date: May 21th, 2019