The TRT World Citizen Humanitarian Film Festival provides a platform for filmmakers to explore global humanitarian issues from a unique and creative perspective.
The many crises that affect our world, including war and violent conflict, the Coronavirus pandemic, the refugee and migration crisis, climate change and pollution, hunger and food scarcity, homelessness, and poverty, have drastic impacts on the lives of billions around the world, most of whom remain unseen and unheard. The aim of our festival is to share the stories of these individuals, and provide a platform to elevate their voices and narratives.
We are currently accepting only short film submissions. Documentaries are not eligible. Your submission should be a fictional narrative that highlights the human impacts of one of the many humanitarian crises around the world.
First Place: $5000 USD Cash Prize, and an all-inclusive trip to Istanbul to attend the 2021 TRT World Citizen Awards, where your short film will be featured.
Second Place: $3000 USD Cash Prize.
Third Place: $2000 USD Cash Prize.
1. Films must be short narratives of 5 - 12 minutes. Any film outside these parameters will be immediately disqualified without exception.
2. All films must be in English or have English subtitles at the time submitted.
3. Films must be submitted online via the FilmFreeway platform.
4. The authors, directors, producers and distributors give the right to free use of the work for dissemination by TRT, including, but not limited to, the purposes of advertising and promotion, whether via Internet, TV, or other media platforms.
5. Films must have been completed after January 1, 2019.
6. Films with public distribution (obtained prior to being selected for screening) or films produced, financed or initiated by a major film studio or television network are ineligible for the competition.
7. Short Films that are publicly available online are not eligible for the competition.
8. TRT World reserves the right in its sole discretion to reject or disqualify any entries.
Originality and Permissions; Indemnity
1. Films must be the original work of the applicants. If a film is based upon another person’s life or upon a book or other underlying work, applicant(s) must secure any necessary rights to make such adaptations. However, it is not necessary to submit the adaptation rights agreements to TRT. Neither TRT nor its jurists investigates or attests to the authenticity of an applicant’s statement of authorship or rights secured. By entering the competition, you are acknowledging that you have secured all necessary rights.
2. Applicants are solely responsible for obtaining all necessary rights and permissions for third-party materials included in the film, including but not limited to music, trademarks, logos, copyrights, and other intellectual property rights. TRT expressly disclaims all liability or responsibility for any violations of the foregoing.
3. By submitting the material, the applicant hereby agrees to indemnify, hold harmless, and defend TRT, it’s employees, directors, representatives, and affiliates from any liability, claims, and damages in connection with the submission and from any fees and expenses, including but not limited to reasonable attorney’s fees, that any of them may incur in connection therewith.
Selected Films and Winner
1. TRT has no obligation (other than as stated in these rules or on our website) to disclose any of the following information: i) identities of screeners or judges; ii) notes, feedback, or information relating to the submitted project; and/or iii) details regarding the submission review or selection process.
2. TRT explicitly disclaims any liability or responsibility for any comments, notes, or opinions expressed about a submission, whether by TRT or by its volunteers.
3. Winners will be announced at the Annual TRT World Citizen Awards. The judges’ decision is final.
4. Winners receiving cash prizes are solely responsible for payment of all applicable local, state, and federal taxes.
5. Any individual selected to travel to Istanbul must be 18+ years of age. Must be available on the necessary dates. Contingent upon the prizewinner’s ability to obtain a Visa to visit Turkey.