The transition international queer & minorities film festival showcases the diversity of minorities within the LGBTIQA+ (LESBIAN GAY BISEXUAL TRANSGENDER INTERSEX QUEER ASEXUAL) spectrum. Every June and November in Vienna, Austria, we use film as a way to confront, break stereotypes and engage our audience using discussions, workshops and lectures. We aim to increase visibility and initiate dialogue on migration, women*, people of color, refugees, dis/ability, trans*, religion and more. Being minorities within a minority – our struggles, stories and histories are often erased or are portrayed simplistically in one-dimensional narratives laden with stereotypes.
Unable to find ourselves in mainstream queer cinema, transition was born in 2012 to provide a positive space for storytelling and use film as a tool to inform, educate and entertain. Previously known as the “Internationale Queere Migrantische Filmtage” (International Queer Migrant Film Days), what began as a three-day event has evolved into a nine-days festival with industry guests, filmmakers and critics, making it an integral part of the Austrian film scene. With a program consisting of classic and contemporary films including shorts, documentaries and feature-length films; old faces and industry newcomers; local and international guests come together to celebrate the diverse nature of being Queer.
2022 sees the festival return at two different dates: the 10th edition will take place June 09 - 11, 2022 (festival #1) & November 16 - 22, 2022 (festival #2) in various venues in Vienna still with the challenging objective to showcase and celebrate the colourful diversity of queerness, and stimulate an open, societal debate. In JUNE 2022 the festival program focuses on making queerness visible in film – and connecting the queer community. NOVEMBER 2022 will sharpen our view on queer minorities.
The festival offers a film, art and theory program that breaks stereotypes, redefines and challenges - to proudly present feminist, lgbtiqa+ & queer-minorities positions. The transition international queer & minorities film festival wants to create an open and welcoming space for reception, discussion, and reflection and to challenge and broaden horizons. #claimyourspace
Our submissions are open until end of April 2022, but the submissions will be divided according to the different parts of the festival.
SHORTS: Short films will, if selected, only be shown in festival #2 (November 2022).
FEATURE FILMS: Features will, if selected, either be shown in festival #1 in June or festival #2 in November. If your feature film is selected for June, you will receive an extra email long before the official notification date email.
This selection process will be determined purely by the programming team. Submission constitutes acceptance of these conditions.
We would love to receive films on topics that give us insight on sex and gender, queerness, lgbtiqa+ activism, body/gender/ethnic/religious diversity, feminist queers, queer minorities, queer refugees, impact of heteronormativity on our society and of course, lots and lots of glamourous fun!
But we also want to start a new sub-category of “Austrian Queer Shorts” in our diverse program: shorts that focus on the situation in Austria, and thereby promote young
queer filmmakers from Austria.
We are very excited about your submissions!
Films who are part of the competition will be able to win awards in the following categories: International Short Film, Austrian Short Film, Feature Film and Documentary.
Important: Please send us ONLY films related to the topic of our festival, e.g. films about sex and gender, queer sexuality, lgbtiqa+ topics, lgbtiqa+ activism, queer minorities topics, queer refugees and queer dis/ability. The selection-committee is looking forward to all kinds of films about all kinds and types of sexuality and diversity. Films not hitting these topics cannot be included within the program.
Please note that short films cannot be longer than 24 minutes and in case your short film is longer we are open to receiving a re-edited version that meets the timeframe restrictions.
There are no fees to be paid for doing a submission.
In case there are any distribution costs to be covered, please do not submit via FilmFreeway but contact us directly: firstname.lastname@example.org
The transition international queer & minorities film festival may freely use press and PR material to promote the festival and also adapt this material to the style of the promotional activities.
The transition international queer & minorities film festival reserves the right to postpone and/or cancel the festival under compelling circumstances. It also reserves the right that locations may change in the course of planning the festival.
The transition international queer & minorities film festival also reserves the right that due to the given circumstances of the time (Covid-19 pandemic) the festival may change into a pure online screening or the festival may build up an online version in addition to an offline version - the filmmakers hereby agree to these variants of the festival.
1. You guarantee that you own or otherwise control all of the rights to the film you submit to us and that you are entitled to transfer the rights to us as specified in this agreement.
2. By submitting the film, you guarantee that all (intellectual property) rights needed for screening during transition international queer & minorities film festival and other uses described in this agreement have been cleared.
3. By submitting the film you guarantee that the screening or other use of the film by transition international queer & minorities film festival does not infringe rights held by third parties.
4. By submitting the film you agree to indemnify the festival against all third-party claims in connection with screening the film during transition international queer & minorities film festival and other uses described in the terms. This includes covering any legal costs that might be incurred.
5. Screenings & Transport: The festival is entitled to show the selected films during the duration of the festival any number of times. Selected short films will be shown in curated short film programs or as supporting films to feature-length films. The festival cannot accept nor assume responsibility for damage or loss of materials while in transit.
6. Best-of programs: If the film receives an award at transition international queer & minorities film festival the festival reserves the right to show the film free of charge as part of a best-of program to promote the winning films/filmmakers as well as the festival. If the film is to be shown the submitter will be informed ahead of time.
7. Press screeners: You grant transition international queer & minorities film festival the nonexclusive, royalty-free, worldwide, perpetual and unlimited right to make copies of the film in order to make these copies available to the press only. The festival guarantees to exercise this right within reason and always with the benefit of the filmmaker in mind. These copies will not be used for commercial screening purposes by any means.
8. Educational use: You grant transition international queer & minorities film festival the nonexclusive, royalty-free, perpetual and unlimited right to use the archived copies for noncommercial educational purposes (workshops, lectures).
9. Promotion: If your film is selected to be included in the program you grant transition international queer & minorities film festival the nonexclusive, royalty-free right to show – online, via television or in cinemas, in single form or as part of a showreel – a trailer or excerpts of up to 1 minute of the film for advertising and promotion purposes. If the film is to be shown the submitter will be informed ahead of time.
10. The festival does not cover travel and accommodation expenses.