ABOUT FILM FESTIVAL:
An annual event to celebrate diverse cultures through cinema
Nepal-America Film Society (NAFS), a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization based in Maryland, proudly announces the 5th Nepal-America International Film Festival (NAIFF). The film festival will take place from 23-26 June 2022 in Maryland. We are now accepting submissions of all genres; feature films, documentaries, animations, experimental and short films from across the globe.
The festival showcases all genres of films including feature lengths, documentaries, animations, experimental, and shorts from Nepal, America, and South and Southeast Asian countries. Films from the Global Peace Film Festival Florida are also screened in the Special Sidebar Section. Additionally, films from Washington DC, Maryland, and Virginia are screened as DMV Close-up Section.
NAIFF aims to bring together people from diverse cultures through the art of cinema. Since 2017 the Film Festival has built a unique reputation as an emerging platform for filmmakers with Nepali backgrounds along with American filmmakers and filmmakers from the international diaspora.
NAIFF invites filmmakers around the globe to submit their films.
A jury committee of national and international film experts will be formed. The jury committee will select the films for a selection of awards. All the participated films will be recognized by the film festival.
Rules and regulations:
- Submitted films should be made after January 2020.
- Films in languages other than English must have subtitles in the English language. Closed captions are encouraged for the virtual screenings.
- Films formally screened previously in Washington DC Metro area theater and digital platforms will not be considered.
- Films should be submitted along with a short introduction and a cover letter that includes attaching posters, synopsis, bios, film stills, and more.
- All submitted films must be free from any legal disputes and the filmmakers must have cleared all rights for theatrical and virtual exhibitions.
- If selected, NAIFF may ask either DCP (A Digital Cinema Package), 35mm, HD, or other theater formats for screening based on the film festival venues. DCP is the most preferred.
- NAIFF asks all filmmakers to commit to both live/ in-person and digital/ online screening of all films accepted into the Festival.
- The NAIFF will not cover expenses to and from the festival for the DCP or DVDs as well any other expenses incurred. Submissions are accepted via FilmFreeway only.
- The Film Festival will not return entries or refund entry fees.
- The fees are waived for submissions from Nepal and DMV Close UP section.
- NAIFF reserves the right to change any information contained in this document including festival dates, programs, events, and venues without further notice.
- Selected films may be asked for publicity material for the festival. NAIFF reserves the right to copy and use any publicity materials (photographs, film stills, trailers) for non-commercial promotional purposes and for archival material.
- Films submitted after the deadline will not be accepted. Any submissions received after the submission deadline will not be reviewed for 2022 but may be forwarded to the selection pool for 2023.
Selection of Film
- The selection committee formed by NAIFF will select the films.
- Film selection decisions made by the selection committee will be final.
- Cinematic value and creativity will be given high consideration.
- The NAIFF will not disclose the reason for the film not being selected.
EARLY BIRD– January 31, 2022
REGULAR DEADLINE – March 31, 2022
LATE DEADLINE – April 15, 2022
EXTENDED DEADLINE – April 30, 2022
Narrative/ Documentary feature: (over 40 min.)
EARLY BIRD: $15.00
REGULAR DEADLINE: $25.00,
Shorts: (under 40 min.)
EARLY BIRD: $9.00,
REGULAR DEADLINE: $15.00,
LATE DEADLINE: $25.00
EXTENDED DEADLINE: $35.00