The Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival celebrates the achievements of Asian Pacific cinematic artists and communities.
Established in 1983 by VISUAL COMMUNICATIONS, the Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival is the largest film festival in Southern California dedicated to showcasing films by and about Asians & Pacific Islanders around the world. We were recently named one of "The 25 Coolest Film Festivals in the World, 2017" by MovieMaker Magazine!
The Film Festival's GOLDEN REEL AWARD for Narrative Live Action / Animated Short Film is eligible for consideration in the Animated Short Film / Live Action Short Film category of the ACADEMY AWARDS®. This Festival is the only one of its kind in the world to have earned this qualification.
The Festival presents approximately 150 films and mediaworks that celebrates Asian Pacific filmmakers and stories. The Festival's highlights include an Opening and Closing Night Celebration, a Festival Centerpiece presentation, a full complement of industry panels and workshops, and a variety of special events. Positioned to lead-off annual activities in support of Asian Pacific American Heritage Month, the Festival attracts entertainment celebrities, civic and community leaders, industry professionals, and film enthusiasts in a week-long celebration of the ongoing accomplishments by Asian Pacific cinematic artists.
The Festival has brought established, emerging, and award-winning filmmakers to the public's attention, including Andrew Ahn, Gregg Araki, Shonali Bose, Lino Brocka, Aneesh Chaganty, Tanuj Chopra, Davy Chou, Chen Kaige, Christine Choy, Curtis Choy, Michael Kang, Lena Khan, Stanley Kwan, Ang Lee, Chris Chan Lee, Justin Lin, Raymond Red, Miike Takashi, Renee Tajima-Peña, Justin Tipping, Ham Tran, Wayne Wang, Wong Kar-wai, WongFu Productions, John Woo, Ruby Yang, Jessica Yu, and many others.
The Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival recognizes filmmaking achievement through presentation of juried and balloted awards.
AWARDS FOR FEATURE FILMS may include:
• GRAND JURY AWARD – NORTH AMERICAN FEATURE FILM (Narrative and Documentary Feature)
• GRAND JURY AWARD – INTERNATIONAL FEATURE FILM (Narrative and Documentary Feature)
• FESTIVAL AUDIENCE AWARD (Narrative and Documentary Feature)
AWARDS FOR SHORT FILMS include:
• GOLDEN REEL AWARD* (Narrative/Animation Short and Documentary Short)
• LINDA MABALOT NEW DIRECTORS/NEW VISIONS AWARD
*Recipients of the GOLDEN REEL AWARD for Narrative/Animation Short Film will be eligible for consideration in the Animated Short Film/Live Action Short Film category of the ACADEMY AWARDS® without the standard theatrical run, provided the film otherwise complies with the Academy® rules.
The Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival accepts films and mediaworks that are principally made by and/or about Asian Pacific Islander individuals and communities around the world. All lengths and genres will be considered.
FILM COMPLETION DATE
All submitted works should have been completed on or after January 1, 2018.
• FEATURE LENGTH - Digital; D-Cinema (DCP) with required Blu-Ray disc (NTSC)
• SHORTS - Digital; D-Cinema (DCP) with required .MOV file conforming to Apple ProRes 422 HQ (1920 x 1080 24p 48kHz)
• EPISODICS - Digital; D-Cinema (DCP) with required .MOV file conforming to Apple ProRes 422 HQ (1920 x 1080 24p 48kHz)
• TRANSMEDIA - ALL submissions for site-specific, virtual reality, and transmedia productions (including, but not limited to: multi-channel digital, video, and installation productions, cross-platform productions, image-mapping projections, and augmented-reality experiences) MUST BE accompanied by a detailed proposal for how the work should be exhibited.
Password-protected Vimeo (720p optimal) preferred, or secured online screener.
Please include a press kit with your entry, including (electronic version ONLY):
• Still images (300 dpi). Please provide captions and photo credits for all images.
• Director’s biography
• Director’s filmography
• Director’s statement
• Cast and crew listing
If your film is selected for exhibition, the Festival will use your materials for print and online promotion. We may also request various other items (posters, etc.) to maximize exposure for your film.
ENTRY DEADLINE & FEES
Signed entry form, screener, press kit and entry fee must be filed via FilmFreeway.com; to be RECEIVED by one of these dates:
• EARLY DEADLINE - Monday, October 1, 2018 at 5 pm PST | $35 USD entry fee
• 2ND DEADLINE - Thursday, November 1, 2018 at 5pm PST | $45 USD entry fee
• FINAL DEADLINE - Saturday, December 1, 2018 at 5pm PST | $65 USD entry fee
**Visual Communications Members at the Filmmaker level submit for FREE! Limit one waived submission per member. Find out more about Visual Communications Membership at vconline.org/membership**
The Festival does not provide waivers other than for current Visual Communications Members at the Filmmaker level. We understand the severe financial restrictions among many of our artists. As a non-profit organization, we also operate under limitations on resources, and the entry fees sustains us to produce the best possible space to showcase your works. We encourage all artists to submit by the early deadline.
Digital media of invited entries must be sent to the Festival pre-paid at a date to be determined prior to the Festival. Return or forward shipping will be covered by the Festival.
Invited entries in language(s) other than English must be subtitled in English.
The Festival does not pay rental fees. Instead, we choose to invest our resources in producing the best possible showcase for your work, and promoting your work as widely as possible.
GRANT OF PERMISSION
Signatory of submission grants Visual Communications permission to screen the aforementioned work at the 2019 Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival if accepted, and warrants that all necessary steps have been taken to obtain the rights to use, exhibit and display the work. Signatory also gives Visual Communications permission to solicit and use stills, excerpts and other materials from such accepted work for promotional purposes.