...**WE ONLY ACCEPT AFRICAN FILMS**
Kukastream Online African Film Festival (KOAFF) is an online film festival, designed for African Filmmakers located all over the world to promote their work through our online platform. For its first edition, it runs for one (15) days on the website www.koaff.kukastream.com , www.africasted.com/koaff and app - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kukastream.kukastream
Founded in 2020, the festival features short movies (under 30mn) in all genres – drama, comedy, thriller, inspirational, documentary, animation, family, and web series… All movies, from all African filmmakers, whether from the motherland or the diaspora, are welcome!
This festival gives yet another opportunity for African Filmmakers to get their films seen, and this year, it’s completely free!
Submissions must be African, which means that the writer, director or producer must be African.
Do you want to get a chance to gain exposure and reach a potential audience of thousands of African film lovers, as well as industry insiders, producers, and investors? Kukastream Online African Film Festival (KOAFF) is an opportunity you cannot afford to miss!!
We promote each movie selection on our website, e-newsletter, and on our social media handles: Facebook, Instagram, and twitter. Your trailers also get to be posted on our Youtube channel.
All finalists are showcased in the SPOTLIGHT on our homepage.
Because Kukastream is a partner to Africasted online Filmmakers Hub, your movie gets to be showcased on two major platforms.
2020 FESTIVAL NOTES
**The highlight this year will be the COVID-19 Film entries, in all genres, and all formats.
-Submission this year is completely free.
During the period of the festival:
- All prize/award winners will be privy to a zoom conference with successful/award-winner industry filmmakers.
- We will also host a private invite-only networking webinar for all participants with potential film investors and TV networks to find out what kind of content they are looking for..
Selected Judges, and festival staff, choose the award prizes.
Audience awards are determined by number of views in categories such as animation, documentary, etc.
*Best Filmmaker Award
*Best Narrative Short
*Best Narrative Feature
*Best Documentary Short
*Best Documentary Feature
*Most Streamed Film
– Be made by an African citizen or permanent resident. This means the writer, director or producer must be African or of African descent.
- Be between 1-30 minutes,
- Be in English or subtitled in English if your film's dialogue is in a language other than English.
– Have been released after January 1, 2010
– Fit one of the following genres: drama, comedy, experimental, animation, sci-fi, horror, music video, documentary or COVID-19 related storyline.
– Be created by filmmakers aged 16 years and above.
Finalists must be ready to be made public/viewable online (please do not submit if you are submitting to any real-world festivals with a "no online presence" clause).
If your film is selected, we require your film to play in our festival for one month starting from the day it first plays in our festival.
Film format must be:
AAC or mp3 audio
Filmmakers must submit:
Synopsis of movie
Movie posters, banners, etc
Selected filmmakers must promote the KOAFF and their films and streaming schedule on their social media account.
Submissions are only through filmfreeway.com (link here)
NOTIFICATIONS OF SELECTED FILMS
All selected films get the notification through email only to all filmmakers.
The selected films will be published on the festival website. All films which are selected/nominated for the KOAFF will be informed only by emails & listed on the festival website. No inquiries or arguments will be entertained regarding non-selected films. The decision of the selection committee will be final.The Festival will not publish any film without the filmmaker’s permission.
By submitting your film to our festival you agree that your work (full film, trailer) can be uploaded/embedded on our website. The filmmaker must own the rights to do so and is responsible for the content he/she is providing. The filmmaker must think very carefully about all the possible rights involved in his/her film: music, title, story, copyright, life rights, trademarks, logos, etc.
By submitting, the filmmaker is indicating that he/she has cleared copyright, trademarks and logos of other parties and obtained their authorization.
KOAFF exercising its rights to stream your film by creating a page for your film shall not violate or infringe the copyright or any other rights, including, without limitation, the right of privacy and/or publicity of any person or entity.
Filmmakers can request to remove the film link at any time.
It further indicates that you accept full responsibility for any legal outcomes that may arise from the exhibition of your film on the KOAFF website and that you waive any moral rights you have in and to the film, as such rights now or hereafter exist, by legislative enactment, or otherwise.
Under the Copyright Act, you have (i) the right to have your name associated with your film (the “authorship right”), (ii) the right to restrain any modification of your film (the “integrity right”), and (iii) the right to restrain any use of your film in association with a particular product, service, cause or institution (the “right of association”), all of which together are known as “moral rights.”
With regard to KOAFF's online film festival this may pertain, for example, to such things as KOAFF's methods of promoting your film or its placement on the festival website.
SELECTION & REJECTION/DISQUALIFICATION
A jury will review all film submissions and contact you should your Film be selected. The Film submitted pursuant to these Submission Terms must be submitted in accordance with the procedures outlined herein. KOAFF may disqualify or reject any film that is not submitted in accordance with such procedures. KOAFF is not required to select any of the films submitted through these Submission Terms for the Festival. THE SELECTION OF ANY FILM IS SUBJECT TO KOAFF's SOLE AND ABSOLUTE DISCRETION AND KOAFF RESERVES THE RIGHT, FOR ANY OR NO REASON AT ANY TIME, TO REJECT ANY SUBMITTED FILM.
KOAFF is not required to provide feedback, reasons or any other information regarding selection or non-selection of any films, including the Film.
After a film has been selected for an award, the filmmaker is notified via email only.
The applicant agrees to have read and accepted the rules & regulations for participation in the Kukastream Online Film Festival (KOAFF) The applicant confirms that he/she has the requisite authority or has obtained the requisite authority from the producer/right holder to enter this film in the KOAFF and make available the film for screening. Under NO circumstance, the authorities of KOAFF will not entertain or be answerable to anyone else apart from the applicant.
You can submit your film to other festivals at the same time as ours but remember your film will be shown online if we accept it. You may submit more than one film but you must complete a separate application for each film.
You hereby grant KOAFF a non-exclusive, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, assignable, transferable right to display, exhibit, use, transmit, copy and exploit, all or any portion of the Film, as well as the names and personal and biographical materials of you and each person referenced in or in connection with the Film, in any and all media for the purposes of the KOAFF Online Film Festival.
You also irrevocably waive any and all “moral rights” (including any and all rights of a similar nature or purpose, however and wherever arising) in and to the Film.
Representations, Warranties and Covenants; Indemnification
You hereby represent and warrant that:
(1) You are at least 18 years of age;
(2) You have the right to enter the Film to the KOAFF Online Film Festival;
(3) You have the right to grant the rights granted therein and you own or control, or have secured and cleared all of the rights, title and interest in and to your Film and all content contained therein and with respect thereto (e.g. music, story, title, etc. from all their owners, creators, writers, producers, etc.) including, without limitation, all copyright, trademarks, logos and other intellectual property and proprietary rights. The Film and all content contained therein and with respect thereto will not: a) infringe, violate or misappropriate any third party right, including copyright trademark, patent, trade secret, moral rights, privacy rights, rights of publicity, or any other intellectual property or proprietary right; or b) slander, defame, libel, or invade the right of privacy, publicity or other property rights in any person;
(4) KOAFF's use of the film will not constitute a breach of any broadcaster, distributor or other agreement(s) applicable to this Film;
(5) You will comply with these Submission Terms as well as the laws of the Republic of South Africa applicable therein;
(6) You are solely liable for any damages and other liabilities resulting from infringement of copyrights, proprietary rights or any other intellectual property rights, including, without limitation, rights or privacy and publicity, or any other harm or damage arising from KOAFF's programming of your Film in the KOAFF Online Film Festival; and
(7) The Film will not contain or transmit, and you will not introduce, any viruses or other computer programming that may potentially damage or interfere with, or intercept or expropriate any system data or personal information from, the Sites, the KOAFF Online Film Festival, or KOAFF's systems.
You hereby agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless KOAFF for any claims, demands, proceedings, suits, actions, liabilities, losses, damages and expenses (including legal fees) resulting from, in connection with, or arising out of, any claim that may arise from KOAFF's use of your Film(s) or by reason of a breach of your representations, warranties and covenants.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO NEGLIGENCE, WILL KOAFF BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES THAT RESULT FROM THE FOLLOWING, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES:
(I) THE USE OF, OR THE INABILITY TO USE OUR WEBSITE, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE SUBMISSION METHODS PROVIDED PURSUANT TO THESE SUBMISSION TERMS; OR
(II) ANY OF ITS SELECTION OR NON-SELECTION DECISIONS, OR FOR ANY INTERNAL OR EXTERNAL COMMENTS OR COMMUNICATIONS REGARDING ANY FILM.
Privacy Information - collection, use and disclosure of personal information
KOAFF is an online streaming platform owned by Africasted Holdings Pty Ltd with offices in Cape Town, Accra and Abidjan and at present, has undertaken an event to program films for the KOAFF Online Film Festival, to assist African filmmakers in exhibiting their projects.
In order to carry out this project, KOAFF requires the information provided by you pursuant to these Submission Terms to appropriately select films for the KOAFF Online Film Festival.
(i) the selection, and selection procedure, of films and participants for the KOAFF Online Film Festival; and
(ii) the promotion of the KOAFF Online Film Festival, the promotion of KOAFF, and the promotion of the KOAFF Online Film Festival participants and their projects, to the public and funders of KOAFF, including through the Internet and through other media sources (e.g. by exhibition, broadcast, print materials, etc.).
KOAFF may use the personal information provided for the purpose of gathering statistics and reporting its activities to the public, its funders, government agencies and its Board of Directors.