Starting 2017, Corto Creativo Internacional Short Film Showcase UDCI will open doors in its 14th edition for the reception of national audiovisual projects at a professional level as well as for film students, national and international, allowing for expansion in its content in addition to the quality level of the selected pieces.
The Festival and Showcase, Corto Creativo, is still the only Festival in Baja California dedicated exclusively to Short Films and remains the oldest one in the region.
An International Jury conformed of renowned realizateurs will grant an honorary medal recognizing the filmmaker’s talent, professional or emerging.
Awards & Prizes
As one of the changes presented this year in the Festival and Showcase is the expansion of its categories and international competitions which will be divided in the following manner:
» Lumen Award for Best Fiction Short Film
» Lumen Award for Best Documentary Short Film
» Lumen Award for Best Mexican Fiction Short Film
» Lumen Award for Best Student Short Film
» Lumen Award for Best Animation Short Film
Rules & Terms
14TH CORTO CREATIVO UDCI SHORT FILM FESTIVAL AND SHOWCASE.
Call and rules for participants.
All high school and university students, or their equivalent in any area of knowledge, are invited to participate in the 14th Corto Creativo 2017 Short Film Festival and Showcase, which will take place in the city of Tijuana, México.
For this year’s edition, only fiction short films and documentaries produced in the year 2016 will be considered for the pre-selection of the material for the contest. Filmmakers not elected for the contest will still be eligible for the national and international showcases (this will be decided by the pre-selection committee).
The LUMEN award will be awarded in the following categories:
• Best International Short Film.
• Best National Short Film.
• Best Experimental Local Short Film (This last one will be awarded by the public, who will vote for their favorite a week before the main event, during an exhibition at UDCI campus).
For each category, the JURY will evaluate and award:
• Sound editing and mixing.
• Production design.
• Acting performance.
The terms for the contest and awards are the following:
1. Fiction short films will be accepted in any of its genres (drama, horror, comedy, etc.).
2. Experimental short films will automatically be part of the Festival’s internal exhibition, in case they are selected by the jury.
3. Films of the following categories will be considered for the Showcase area: Documentary, music video, reportage, experimental clip and video installation.
4. Submitted material must not have been filmed before January 1st of 2016, in order to considered for the Festival’s Awards. Films made prior to that date, will automatically only be part of the Showcase (in case they are selected).
5. Registry for participant short films will only be available through the online platform: www.filmfreeway.com, and it’s completely free. No short film will be received by any other means.
6. The following is necessary for participant’s registry:
• Name of all the team’s participants.
• Valid student credential from each member of the team.
• Director’s biography.
• Director’s picture (headshot).
• 5 Frames from the registered film.
• Signed authorization release for projection during the Festival.
7. There is no limit for registered films per participant (as long as they all comply with the terms).
8. Each film’s duration must be between 5 and 20 minutes; no less and no more. Films that are over that extension will have their inclusion depend on the available time in the Festival’s Showcase (in case the participant only wishes to participate in the showcase, he or she must select that option in the registry page).
9. Registry must be made before august 15 of 2017, without exception.
10. The Festival dates are September 21, 22 and 23, of 2017.
11. All films registered that are produced in a language other than Spanish, must include subtitle in English and/or Spanish.
12. Films selected by the jury, will be notified as Official Selection and must be sent via Dropbox, or a Vimeo account with its password and available download. Te required format will be h264 1084p.
13. Films that become Official Selection, but fail be sent before the requested dated, will be disqualified.
14. Short and feature films that have participated in any other international festival, will be accepted.
15. Any short or feature film that appears on any web site or social media without restriction or password during the pre-selection and the celebration of the Festival, will be disqualified.
16. The decision of the jury is final and not subject to appeal. A category may be considered deserted, in case none of its participating films meet the minimum desired aspects and qualifications.
17. It is absolutely necessary that the filmmakers own all the rights to the image, sound, music and story presented in their projects.
**Corto Creativo Film Festival will not be responsible for any non-authorized playback shown.