The initiative piloted by NYFEST in collaboration with the New York City Department of Youth and Community Development in the 2016-2017 academic year, is returning for its second season in the 2017-2018 academic year.
Preproduction begins this fall, with shooting to commence at the top of 2018, all culminating with a final showcase--attended by the student filmmakers, program mentors, citi officials and YFI stakeholders--during the 2018 Tribeca Film Festival stretch (April 18-29).
A testament to a highly successful Year One, 2017-18 Young Filmmakers Initiative promises an even greater array of original storytelling, across media, about New York City's rich and vibrant soccer tapestry.
• All films must be created by participants, active in a SONYC/Beacon program
• Films must be no more than two minutes in length
• No film may use copyrighted material, including music, TV shows, or movies
• All films must be submitted via
• All rough edits and final film submissions must be received by 11:59 p.m. EST on
February 9, 2018, and March 16, 2018, respectively
• Footage should not contain explicit language or lewd behavior
• Youth filmmakers must play the major creative and editorial role of the submitted works – as actors, directors, writers, and/or editors
• Any films where more than 15 percent of the creative control is by someone other than the
SONYC/Beacon participant will be disqualified
Student Group entries are open to selected SONYC/Beacon programs. No student group may exceed ten (10) key participants, and no participating SONYC/Beacon program may have more than four (4) student groups.