Washington Film Awards is a unique seasonal virtual film competition. Attracting both powerhouse companies as well as talented new filmmakers, it is an unparalleled, truly international awards competition, not a traditional film festival – which allows filmmakers from around the world to enter their films in this prestigious competition.
The festival gives talented directors, producers, actors, creative teams the positive exposure they deserve. It discovers and honors the achievements of filmmakers who produce high quality projects. The festival promotes award winners through press releases to filmmakers and industry contacts. Above all, we truly value and honor our filmmaking family.
The festival accepts screenplays (up to 40 pages) and short films (up to 40 minutes long). It offers a seasonal competition. Each season, our jury selects the winners through private screenings. The seasonal winners will qualify for the online screening. Furthermore, all seasonal winners receive a free digital certificate (in JPG), ready for print.
* We don't showcase the full films online.
--- CATEGORY AWARDS
Best Short Film
Best Student Film
Best Crime Film
Best Romantic Comedy
Best Dark Comedy
Best Mystery Film
Best Fantasy Film
Best Film Noir
Best Musical/Dance Film
Best Micro Film
Best Inspirational Film
Best Women Emancipation Film
Best Lgbtq Film
Best Indie Film (budget up to $5000)
Best Web Series
Best Music Video
Best Experimental Film
Best Commercial/Promotional Video
Best Original Story
--- CAST & CREW AWARDS
Best Indie Filmmaker (film's budget up to $5000)
Best First Time Director
Best Actor in an Indie Film (budget up to $5000)
Best Actress in an Indie Film (budget up to $5000)
Best Supporting Actor
Best Supporting Actress
Best Young Actor (13-18)
Best Young Actress (13-18)
Best Child Actor (5-12)
Best Child Actress (5-12)
Best Original Score
Best Sound Design
Best Visual Effects
Young Filmmaker Award (18 and under)
Rules & Terms
1. Submissions in other than English must be subtitled.
2. Multiple entries are allowed from a filmmaker and each entry may be entered in multiple categories.
3. Online screeners preferred. If you choose not to upload your project to FilmFreeway’s site, please provide an online link to your submission and be sure to include the password in an email correspondence sent directly to the festival.
4. The festvial does not download data or accept Dropbox submissions. Please only send links to your media hosted on 3rd party servers such as Vimeo or YouTube.
5. Written comments describing entries are beneficial.
6. All films submitted under a “Student Fee” category will be listed as a (Student) on all materials including social media and press releases. Student I.D. required.
7. By submitting your film, take note that:
- You agree to use parts of your film (including trailer/teaser/film poster/screenshots) for promotional purpose.
- You must own all the rights to the video.
- Fees are not refundable.
- We will review up to 40 minutes/pages, even if your film/screenplay is longer (excluding the Television Script category - up to 50 pages).
The festival does not accept the following:
1. Extremist or propaganda
2. Films which were made before 2010