As seen in Film Daily, IndieWire, MovieMaker, and Lonely Planet!
"...this Wyoming film fest is already giving its competition a run for its money. Presented among the beautiful landscapes of Sheridan right at the foot of the Bighorn Mountains, the festival promises an intimate atmosphere to cultivate its inspiring new artists." - Film Daily
The WYO Film Festival is the premier venue for independent film in the American West. The WYO offers an ideal setting for filmmakers to develop lasting relationships with fellow filmmakers, industry professionals and audience members alike. The festival draws an audience of over 1,000 attendees and film entries from every corner of the planet to a incredibly intimate mountain town with the best of everything Wyoming has to offer.
The WYO Film Festival also hosts a variety of exciting events in connection with the screenings throughout Sheridan, Wyoming and the surrounding area.
We accept Features, Shorts, Documentaries, Music Videos, Animation, Experimental films and short and feature screenplays from emerging artists, students, and established professionals. The WYO Film Festival is committed to the celebration of independent film in all its forms and bringing it to wider audiences.
The 2023 WYO Film Festival will take place September 28-October 1, 2023.
Filmmakers whose films are selected for screening and best scriptwriting finalists will receive an invitation for a trip to Sheridan, Wyoming to participate in the 2023 WYO Film Festival. Filmmakers and writers who are invited will receive additional prizes up to and including: VIP access to the Festival, travel & lodging expenses, access to film screenings at the festival, VIP access to nightly Gala events, and being treated like the filmmaker royalty that you are.
Additional or alternate prizes will be awarded at the sole discretion of the WYO Film Festival.
The WYO Film Festival will take place in Sheridan, WY on September 28-October 1, 2023. Rules are subject to change at any time with or without prior notice.
If accepted for screening, your film will screen in Sheridan, Wyoming in September 28-October 1, 2023 as part of the 6th annual WYO Film Festival.
Film entries accepted for screening that are eligible for juried festival awards will screen before the festival jury prior to the festival. Short and Feature Screenplay award finalists will be informed of their judging status August 9, 2023 with final award winners announced during the 2023 WYO Film Festival weekend event.
ENTRY FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE. Should the 2023 WYO Film Festival be canceled or postponed because a natural disaster, pandemic, or for any other reason beyond our control, submission fees cannot be refunded.
1. Submission Format
Films must be submitted via the FilmFreeway online screener or a link with password (Vimeo or YouTube) only. Submitted copies will not be returned.
Screenplays must be submitted via the FilmFreeway platform.
2. Submission Eligibility
- All submissions must have been completed after January 1, 2022.
- There is no premiere policy for submission.
3. Premiere Status
- There is no premiere policy or requirement.
4. Submission Fee
All submissions for the WYO Film Festival are to be paid via FilmFreeway. The submission fee is non-refundable.
5. Selection of Films
Submissions are reviewed and selected under the following criteria:
Strength of story
Quality of narrative and production values
Independent nature of the production
Accepted filmmakers must have one of the following formats available by August 31, 2023 for screening at the festival: h.264 (.mp4) file or BluRay. All films screening at the festival must include a subtitled version of the film if the primary of the film is other than English. The filmmaker is responsible for all shipping and insurance costs
A selected DVD/BluRay or .mp4 file must be received at WYO Film Festival no later than THIRTY days prior to its scheduled screening date. The WYO Film Festival will take place from October 6th-October 8th, 2023.
The WYO Film Festival will not be responsible for returning any DVD/BluRay copies of films.
6. Festival Screenings and Scheduling
WYO Film Festival has the capability to screen .mov, BluRay, and DVD at this time. Our facilities do NOT support 35mm, Super 16mm, DCP or double-head formats.
WYO Film Festival aspires to provide the best quality projection possible but will not be held liable for any failure in the technical quality of the projection, nor will fees be refunded in any such case.
Screenings are scheduled during the Festival at the discretion of WYO Film Festival. While every effort will be made to adhere to the published schedule, WYO Film Festival reserves the right to make changes at any time for any reason. WYO Film Festival will not be liable for any costs claimed as a result of a change in scheduling.
No film may be withdrawn from the festival program after its selection.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
1. I, the representative of the project being submitted (the "Film"), acknowledge and agree as follows in connection with the Film's submittal to WYO Film Festival (the "WFF") for consideration for the WYO Film Festival (the "Festival"):
2. I hereby represent and warrant to the Festival that (a) I am duly authorized, on my own behalf and on behalf of all other persons or entities who have any ownership rights in the Film, to exhibit this Film at the Festival, (b) this exhibition will not violate any law or any right or consent of any person or entity and (c) the Film is not subject to litigation nor is it threatened by any litigation.
3. I further represent and warrant that, to the best of my knowledge, the exhibition of the Film at the Festival will not violate or infringe any copyright, patent, privacy right, publicity right, trademark, service mark or any other personal or property right of any person or entity and that my Film does not constitute a defamation of any person or entity. I have paid and will pay in full all license fees, clearance fees, and other obligations, of any kind, arising from the exhibition of the Film in connection with the Festival.
4. If accepted, I acknowledge that the Festival's presentation of the Film does not create any confidential or fiduciary relationship between the Festival and I. I understand that I will not receive any compensation for such exploitation, although some prizes at the Festival may include cash awards. I acknowledge that no obligation of any kind is assumed by or may be implied against the Festival or the WFF because of the Festival's selection of the Film. I understand and acknowledge that the selection of my Film by the Festival does not in any way constitute an express or implied endorsement or approval by the Festival or the WFF of the content of the Film or any opinion expressed therein.
5. I agree to indemnify and hold harmless the WFF, the Festival, the affiliate, subsidiary and parent entities of each, and the officers, directors, employees, attorneys, advisors and agents of each of the foregoing from and against any and all claims, losses, or liabilities (including reasonable attorneys' fees) that may be asserted against any of the foregoing or incurred by any of the foregoing at any time in connection with the Film or the Festival's use thereof, and/or arising from any breach or alleged breach of any representation made by me to the Institute or the Festival.
6. If accepted, I hereby grant without reservations, to the Festival, and their related entities (a) the right to use footage, stills and/or titles, and information from the Film for promotional purposes and (b) the right to issue and authorize publicity concerning the filmmakers and the Film and to use all associated names, likenesses and biographical information. I also agree to provide contact information for the director and producer(s) of the Film and grant the Festival the right to provide this information to film industry organizations sponsoring Festival events at its discretion.
7. I represent that I am 18 years of age or older, or that if I am younger than the legal age to enter into contracts in my state, I have provided a written consent from my parent or legal guardian.
8. I acknowledge that I have read and understood the rules and regulations for submitting a film to the Festival.
9. By clicking "I Agree" below, or by submitting a film or screenplay to WFF, I constitute my full and complete acceptance of the terms hereof. I acknowledge that no oral representations of any kind have been made by the WFF or the Festival.