The Universal Film Festival was founded in 2007 in Kansas City, Missouri, USA, and has now evolved into an internationally touring event. Our festival is honored to be one of the top 100 Film Festivals. We are proud to have over 230,000 followers and 5,000 publications distributed globally through social media, print, and more.
Universal Film Festival’s core philosophy is to increase the audience of independent filmmakers and encourage their unique cinematic vision and artistry.
Each year we will be presenting our festival in a different country in partnership with a selected local film festival.
We provide filmmakers and directors in all genres with an excellent career-changing opportunity to network and promote their films during our affiliated events and conference.
Our audience supports and encourages the international, independent, imagination promulgated by our filmmakers. A panel of judges made up of a variety of industry professionals select our winners.
The Universal Film Festival's mission is to provide a credible and accessible venue for these talented filmmakers, both with our international audience of all ages and backgrounds and with our partners within the industry.
Founder & CEO
Award in following categories:
01 - Best Actress
02 - Best Actor
03 - Best Director
04 - Best Producer
05 - Best Film / Picture
06 - Best Drama
07 - Best Documentary
08 - Best Comedy
09 - Best Short Film
10 - Best Animated Feature
11 - Best Cinematographer
12 - Best Action
13 - Best Horror
14 - Best Film of the Host Country (Germany 2021)
Rules and Recommendations:
1) Submissions in languages other than English must have English subtitles.
2) Submissions will only be accepted via FilmFreeway. The submitter must have proper rights to submit the film.
3) Production of the film must be within 5 years of festival date. (2016 or later)
4) Exhibition format must be delivered on DCP. This MUST be by the date stipulated in invitation. NO exceptions.
5) Any promotional materials (i.e. DVD, Posters, Etc.) mailed to Universal Film Festival will remain property of Universal Film Festival
6) Films are allowed to have screened prior to submission to the Universal Film Festival, but must not be under current distribution.
7) Films cannot have been released prior to submission to the Universal Film Festival and/or been broadcast on television.
1) Submit trailer along with virtual presskit via FilmFreeway upon initial submission
2) Student discount waiver offered. Student ID must be presented. (contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information)
Response from festival:
Thank you so much for your kind words! We have provided Q and A for filmmakers in the previous years. Unfortunately we had to waive Q and A for 2019 because we had so many incredible films and wanted to screen as many as we can! For Universal Film Festival 2020 we have under consideration on doing a Q and A for our filmmakers! Thank you so much! Good luck on your next project and we hope to see you again next year at Universal Film Festival.