The unDependence Film Festival is an independent festival based in Edinburgh, Scotland that celebrates, promotes and keeps alive the un-dependent spirit in art and filmmaking. We are bringing Scottish and international short and feature films to the screen in "unusual" cinemas.
In 2019 we are proudly celebrating our 5th anniversary and once more invite filmmakers to share their work with the Scottish audience.
**** We are looking for films dealing with the question of dependencies on all levels in our lives and present moving images that will cause (e)motions in the audience. *****
unDependence /ʌn’ dɪˈpɛnd(ə)ns/
1. a state of realization that things can be different; realization that change can, and does happen. Paying special regard to change that occurs within oneself and the constant fluctuations within modern society.
2. is being (pro)active and thinking for yourself.
3. asking “What does it mean to be an individual in a dynamic society?”
The unDependence Film Festival is an art festival as well as a social project. We invite local artists and organisations to collaborate in a versatile program of screenings and film-related workshops for everyone to celebrate and express freedom, choice and identity. Our "cinemas" are public spaces that are not traditional cultural institutions. We want to bring film to "everyone" and therefore use community spaces as our theatres. We believe in the power of the "small cinema"that attracts and is open for especially those who would usually shy away from cultural events.
As in previous years, we are accepting entries from all genre, and lengths; mini (under 10 mins), shorts, as well as feature length. Drama, documentary, comedy, animation, experimental are all accepted.
NEW: for the 2019 seasons we offer the possibility to have your film reviewed by us and sent to you independently for an extra charge of 10$ only. You will receive the review whether or not your film is selected.
The unDependence Film Festival will open in Edinburgh in April 2019, after which the programme will travel across to Stirling, expanding the reach of the festival and your film.
We want to contribute to the increase of female filmmakers in the business and have therefore 2 awards
** Rising Star Award
** Female Filmmaker of Excellence Award
Both awards will be rewarded with prize money.
The films selected are mainly productions by up and coming filmmakers from Scotland AND all over the world. A small group of curators creates the program, and a jury of curators and guest jurors from the film industry will nominate the winner of the Rising Star Award and the Female Filmmaker of Excellence Award.
We encourage critical thought.
1. We accept feature films and short films.
2. films can be submitted under the categories “feature”, “short” ( under 20 min) and “mini” (under 10 min)
3. ALL films MUST be submitted with a clear statement WHY they fit the festival's theme. Films submitted with an incomplete description/form will be disqualified.
4. Films should be either in English language or MUST have English subtitles.
5. Filmmakers that have been selected will be notified in mid-January 2017 and may be asked to provide a short text about themselves and their film.
6. Filmmakers are invited to attend the festival and will be asked to be available for a Q&A. DEPENDING on the budget and funding, the festival might be able to help with travelling and/or accommodation costs.
7. The festival team will reject films that violate the dignity of humans and/or are not in accordance with the festival's values.
We will NOT accept films that violate a person's dignity or are promoting hatred, violence and/or are disrespectful towards religious, ethnic or political groups.