Great stories shape who we are, introduce us to people we’ve never met and take us places we never knew existed. From animation to documentary, the world of short film invites you to live multiple lives and celebrate variety. Discover storytelling at its finest.
The 17th Annual Two Short Nights celebrates and promotes short films and the people who make them. The festival is proud to nurture new and emerging talent through selected screenings, workshops and our famous 48 Hour Film Challenge.
Audience Choice Award
Best Short Film Award
Best 48 Hour Film Award
TWO SHORT NIGHTS 2018
FESTIVAL SUBMISSION - TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. Two Short Nights Film Festival is run and organised by Exeter Phoenix Ltd, a not for profit registered charity. (Registered charity number 1844169).
2. The 2018 festival will take place in Exeter, Devon, UK, between 28 - 30 November.
3. The final selection of all films presented at the festival and their placement in the programme is the responsibility of Exeter Phoenix.
4. The festival is open to short films of all production techniques, including animation, documentary, drama, music videos, experimental or artists' moving image and hybrid work from low to high budgets.
5. The primary contact completing the submission process must be authorised to submit the film for consideration including permission from a distributor or sales agent representing the film and must have obtained necessary permissions for the inclusion of copyrighted music and/or images within the films. With this application, the applicant confirms that he or she possesses all rights necessary for the screening of his or her film at a film festival.
6. Films must have a maximum duration of 20 minutes including credits.
Registration and Data Protection
7. Two Short Nights Film Festival and Exeter Phoenix ensures this information will never be used for anything other than direct contact from the festival or Exeter Phoenix and will not be shared with any other organisation or festival. Your registration will enable you to submit your films to the 2018 festival edition.
Two Short Nights is a small charity-led festival, which does not receive any funding. Therefore in order to maintain the level of quality we seek we much charge a small fee per entry. We are aware that some educational institutions, film institutes, distributors and individuals struggle with this payment particularly regarding multiple entries or for low budget local filmmakers. There is a submission fee discount for those submitting multiple entries or for those based in South West, UK. For more information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
9. Discounts and waivers must be sought before the films have been submitted.
10. We are unable to refund submission fees.
11. You may enter as many films as you wish – if multiple entries are required please contact email@example.com before you submit your films for instructions. Multiple discounts cannot be applied after the films have already been submitted.
12. All films submitted should be clearly marked with the film title and the name of the main submitter. Films that are submitted on unreadable or damaged formats or format not specified may not be considered for selection, it is up to the applicant to ensure that the preview is in full working order.
14. All films must have been completed during or after January 2017 to be eligible for the 2018 festival.
15. All films submitted are automatically eligible to win Two Short Nights 2018 Audience Choice Award and Best Short Film Award. Winners will be announced on the closing ceremony of the festival.
16. Applicants may enter as many films as they wish. Please note each entry requires a separate application form and viewable link.
Foreign Language Films
17. If the original language of any dialogue or text featured in the film is not English, the preview and screening copy must be subtitled in English.
18. A film will be judged by a panel shortly after the closing date. Final decisions are made by the Digital & Film Department of Exeter Phoenix and their decision is FINAL.
19. Successful entrants will be notified of their inclusion in the festival by the end of October 2018. Those entrants who have not been successful will also receive email notification at this time.
20. Due to the large amounts of submissions that the festival receives we are unable to give comments on individual films prior to submission or offer feedback for unsuccessful entries.
21. There are no fees for participating in the festival. Participants are not entitled to claim rental or other fees for the screenings of their films at the festival.
22. At the point of submission you will be asked if you have read and agreed with the Terms and Conditions laid out in this document. By agreeing to proceed with your application can then be processed. Entry of a film is binding and implies acceptance of these regulations.
23. Failure to comply with these Terms and Conditions may result in the submission being disqualified.
24. These regulations are subject to change without prior notice.
25. Two Short Nights does not accept postal submissions, all submission must be made via provided online platforms and viewable links.
26. It is the responsibility of the owner of the screening copy to ensure adequate insurance coverage for both inward and outward shipment.
Visiting The Festival
27. Successful applicants will be offered two free tickets to the screening of the festival. The tickets will be valid for the screening that includes your selected film only and cannot be exchanged for any other screenings.
28. The festival would like to arrange for as many filmmakers in competition as possible to visit the festival. Regrettably, no matter how much we would like to cover the hotel and transport costs, the festival is restricted by budget constraints and we are unable to contribute to costs of travel. We may be able to arrange discounts at local hotels.