Tokyo Film Awards (東京映画賞) is a unique film competition organised by working professionals from film and tv industry. Our programming team is mainly focused on short films as our main mission is to promote young talent and their vision.
UPDATE : Due to government restrictions and rising number of cases in JAPAN there is a chance we will be forced to cancel the event or do it only for domestic audience. Therefore, we created screenings on our website as substitution where all the winning films will be seen. Please follow our website for latest updates about the event...
The cinema of Japan (日本映画, Nihon eiga, also known domestically as 邦画 hōga, "domestic cinema") has a history that spans more than 100 years. Japan has one of the oldest and largest film industries in the world; as of 2021, it was the fourth largest by number of feature films produced. In 2011 Japan produced 411 feature films that earned 54.9% of a box office total of US$2.338 billion.Films have been produced in Japan since 1897, when the first foreign cameramen arrived.
The kinetoscope, first shown commercially by Thomas Edison in the United States in 1894, was first shown in Japan in November 1896. The Vitascope and the Lumière Brothers' Cinematograph were first presented in Japan in early 1897, by businessmen such as Inabata Katsutaro. Lumière cameramen were the first to shoot films in Japan. Moving pictures, however, were not an entirely new experience for the Japanese because of their rich tradition of pre-cinematic devices such as gentō (utsushi-e) or the magic lantern. The first successful Japanese film in late 1897 showed sights in Tokyo.
We are accepting films in following categories :
• Best Asian Film (最高のアジア映画カテゴリー)
• Best Short Film (最優秀短編映画部門 )
• Best Feature Film (Animation or Live Action) ( 最優秀長編映画部門)
• Best Short Documentary ( 最優秀短編ドキュメンタリー部門 )
• Best Feature Documentary ( 最高の機能のドキュメンタリー)
• Best Animation ( 最高のアニメーションカテゴリ )
• Best Drama ( 最高のドラマカテゴリー)
• Best Action ( ベストアクションカテゴリ)
• Best Thriller ( 最高のスリラーカテゴリー)
• Best Comedy ( 最高のコメディカテゴリ)
• Best Horror ( ベストホラーカテゴリー)
• Best Cinematography ( 最優秀撮影賞)
• Best VFX ( 最優秀VFXカテゴリー)
• Best Actor ( 最優秀男優賞 )
• Best Actress ( 最優秀女優賞 )
• Best Student Film ( 最優秀学生映画カテゴリ )
• Best Director ( 最優秀監督賞 )
• Best Production Design ( 最優秀美術賞部門 )
• Best Music Video ( 最優秀ミュージックビデオ部門 )
• Best Music Composer ( 最高の作曲家カテゴリー )
• Best First Time Filmmaker ( 初めての映画製作者部門 )
• Best Inspirational Film ( 最高のインスピレーションを与える映画のカテゴリ)
Before submitting your film please read following rules carefully. If you have any further questions please contact our team at info@TokyoShortAwards.com
• All films must be submitted in English or with English subtitles (if in a different language).
• Short films must not exceed 30 minutes.
• By submitting to us, you give us the right to screen your film in front of a live audience, and, under special circumstances, online screening.
• Any technical issues with the submitted films are 100% the responsibility of the filmmakers. If, at the time of judging, your video file doesn’t work or doesn’t have English subtitles (if in a language other than English), it will be automatically rejected, without a refund. Please contact the festival team ASAP if there are any issues with the submission process, and a solution will be found.
• We reserve the right to change the date of the event.
• We accepting films only via electronic submission (FilmFreeway). No postal submissions will be accepted.
• We place no restrictions on your work in terms of premiere status or whether your work has been made available online. You can submit multiple projects.
• We reserve the right to update our terms and conditions.