The Greek Film Festival in Berlin is Berlin’s Greek film festival founded as Hellas Filmbox Berlin in 2015. The festival offers German and international audiences a unique chance to watch the best of new Greek cinema (or related to Greece) on the big screen. We show 35 to 40 fiction films, documentaries, and shorts, most of which are German or International premieres.
The five-day event takes place every March-April at the historic Babylon venue in the heart of Berlin. With the attendance of filmmakers, producers, distinguished Jury members, film professionals, artists, and by organizing parallel events, discussions, exhibitions, and networking happenings, the festival has become one of the leading film events in the city and the biggest Greek Film Festival in Germany in terms of guests, present filmmakers and business representatives, Q & A's, parallel events and audience. Special thanks go out to our amazing and growing festival audience. The German-Greek Cultural Association organizes the festival.
The Emerging Greeks Award - 1000 euros sponsored by the Greek Film Centre
The Documentary Award - 500 euros sponsored by MuSou Music Group
Emerging Greeks Competition - EMERGING GREEKS is the main Competition section of THE GREEK FILM FESTIVAL IN BERLIN. First and second fiction feature length films of the current Greek film production will be presented to the German audience. Emphasis is placed on works that introduce interesting aspects concerning contemporary issues and matters of the Greek reality, as well as perspectives and notions of the Greek society, that will provide the audience in Berlin with different views of Greece than those delivered by the German Media. Thus, by passing the word to the filmmakers and giving space to cinematic approaches on the Greek culture, history and last but not least everyday life, EMERGING GREEKS competition wishes to create a communication platform between the two countries in the sense of a non-verbal experience, which will let pictures talk for themselves.
Special Screenings - all feature length fiction Greek films (or co-produced with Greece) are eligible for submission.
Documentary Films - all feature length documentary Greek films (or co-produced with Greece) are eligible for submission.
Short Films - all short length Greek films (or co-produced with Greece) are eligible for submission.
1) Films may participate as long as their production has been completed after January 1st, 2022.
2) Eligible categories are:
Feature length Films of at least 60 minutes running time
Short length Films of less than 60 minutes running time
3) Competition is open to films that are Greek productions and co-productions. International films that deal with a subject, which clearly bears reference to Greece will also be accepted, whereas the filmmaker’s country of origin will not be taken into consideration.
4) Already submitted films for past editions of THE GREEK FILM FESTIVAL IN BERLIN are allowed to be submitted again.
5) Films may participate irrespective of their premiere status. Films not available on websites open to the public, as well as German premieres will be given priority.
6) Eligible are films which can provide the festival with a final print of screening in DCP format.
7) THE GREEK FILM FESTIVAL IN BERLIN does not charge any screening fees.
8) THE GREEK FILM FESTIVAL IN BERLIN does not pay screening fees.
9) THE GREEK FILM FESTIVAL IN BERLIN reserves the right to publish information of the films selected, including film excerpts that might be broadcast on television or the internet, as well as the contact info of the director and the producer.
10) THE GREEK FILM FESTIVAL IN BERLIN will contact you should your film is selected and not otherwise.
11) Directors, producers and any cast and crew of the selected films should strictly not publish on media or social media any information on the program before the press release or the press conference that announces the complete program.
12) THE GREEK FILM FESTIVAL IN BERLIN will take place at Babylon.
13) After a screening at THE GREEK FILM FESTIVAL IN BERLIN, your film might be additionally selected for The Greek Film Festival GOES FRANKFURT & KOLN in September 2024. Should this be the case, the Head of Program will contact you promptly.
Please send your submission for any section of the festival no later than December 18th, 2023. Please send all other requested materials (2 film stills, 1 director’s still, dialogue list) to firstname.lastname@example.org
The final screening copies or links should be provided to the festival no later than March 1st 2024. The screening copies can be downloaded or will be picked up by our traffic representative upon communication with the filmmakers, sales agencies or production companies.
1. A screening copy of the film in DCP format or a link in DCP format. All films will be screened with English subtitles.
2. A backup Blu-Ray of the film.
The Emerging Greeks Competition Award is escorted by an amount of 1000 euros sponsored by the Greek Film Center.
The Documentary Award is escorted by an amount of 500 euros sponsored by the MuSou Music Group.