After a hugely successful inaugural festival in 2019, Sydney Web Fest is back for more in 2020!
Sydney Web Fest is an international web series festival, and is making waves in the Australian web series scene. Sydney Web Fest is dedicated to the celebration of online content, and the talents of those who make it happen.
We're excited to showcase hardworking creatives, and their web series work. SWF is committed to celebrating the creators of web series', and in particular, the creative accomplishments of womxn - along with honouring diversity across all spectrums. No matter how you identify, we look forward to your submission.
2020 marks SWF's second year, with the valued support from LA Web Fest, the eternally brilliant Michael Ajakwe, our partners Melbourne Web Fest, NZ Web Fest, and other industry heavyweights. SWF will be packed with screenings, panels, networking opportunities, and our awards ceremony.
At this stage, due to the uncertainty of live events, the festival will be held online this year! However, if it becomes possible to hold a live event by the end of 2020, we're going to reconsider - any excuse for a celebration!
The Sydney Web Fest team are excited to welcome you to the second Sydney Web Fest!
Best Comedy (International and Australian)
Best Student Series
Best Kids Series
Best Animated Series
SWF Award for Best Series*
SWF Award for Diversity**
SWF Michael Ajakwe Award for Innovation***
Best Screenplay - Comedy
Best Screenplay - Drama
Best Actor - Female
Best Actor - Male
Best Supporting Actor - Female
Best Supporting Actor - Male
Best Original Score
Best Sound Design
Best Visual/Special Effects
* Qualifying series must have womxn in at least three key creative roles (Lead Female Actor,Director, Producer, Writer, Cinematographer, Composer, Editor)
** Qualifying series must have an LGBTQIA+ focus and/or pass the Vito Russo test.
*** This award is in honour of the creator of web series festivals as we know them. As the founder of LA Web Fest, Michael paved the way for festivals like ours, and this award celebrates innovation and courage in filmmaking.
Please read the following terms carefully. Sydney Web Fest reserves the right to deem any series that fails to meet the criteria outlined ineligible.
1. Upon submitting to Sydney Web Fest, you and/or your team fully accept the terms and conditions outlined by Sydney Web Fest.
2. Upon submission, you grant Sydney Web Fest rights to use works submitted, and excerpts from works submitted, for promotional purposes (presentations, highlight reels, advertising material).
2. Upon submitting your work to Sydney Web Fest, you and/or your team must have expressed authority, own all rights, and the associated intellectual property permissions, to submit works.
2. You may submit more than one series to the festival, to one or more categories, but each submission in each category must be completed separately, each with their own submission fee. If you aren't sure which category your series falls under, select which one is closest.
3. Entry fees are non-refundable.
4. With the exception of the Student Series category (which must be clearly marked on the entry's application), all content submitters must be 18 years or over.
5. At this time, all series produced after December 2015 are eligible for consideration, regardless of previous screenings, award wins, or premiere status.
6. Each submission must have a minimum of two (2) completed episodes, upon submission.
7. Individual episodes must not exceed fifteen (15) minutes in length. Sydney Web Fest welcomes a reduced/edited version of an episode, in order to meet the time criteria.
8. Entries that are in a language other than English, must include English subtitles for all episodes submitted.
9. Series must be viewable globally, and not password protected by region. Series may be submitted via platforms such as YouTube and Vimeo, and via Google Drive (no Dropbox links, please!). Series must be able to be downloaded, for the festival's promotional content.
10. Episode assets will be retained on the Sydney Web Fest Website for the duration of the festival, and will be taken down no later than seven (7) days after the festival's conclusion.
11. Sydney Web Fest will not be held responsible for any series that has not received the proper authority/permission to obtain rights to material submitted to, or screened at. SWF. This includes claims involving copyright, trademarks, screenings, or any other liability. Sydney Web Fest will also not be held financially responsible, for any of the listed violations.
12. All decisions made by Sydney Web Fest are final.
13. Sydney Web Fest reserves the right to amend or change festival criteria.
14. Sydney Web fest reserves the right to screen or not screen programmed works, or works announced in the Official Selection section of the festival.
15. Any material sent to Sydney Web Fest will not be returned, unless a postpaid, self-addressed, return envelope is enclosed in the package.
16. New South Wales and Australian state and federal laws apply.
Discounts: we do not offer entry fee waivers. For all SWF alumni, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for a special discount code!
Response from festival:
Martijn, thank you so much for your kind review! It was a tough year to get anything creative off the ground, but we're so glad we did - especially since we got to feature fantastic series like yours. We definitely missed the networking side of things, and we're looking forward to getting networking back on the menu next year (and hopefully including our international friends in that!). We can't wait for 2021's festival, and we can promise it will be the pinkest yet! Thank you so much, and congrats again!