The Square Lake Film & Music Festival connects music with film, providing opportunities for public exposure, collaboration, and recognition on a local and international level.
By combining music and film into one arts event, the Square Lake Festival utilizes the already thriving Minnesota music scene to draw in and create new audiences for the lesser known but equally exciting short film and animation projects of this region.

$500 first place
$250 second place
$100 third place
$250 International

The Square Lake Film & Music Festival focuses short films, particularly in the genres of animation, experimental, short narrative, and short documentary. 80% of our film program consists of Minnesota-made or regional work. The remaining 20% comes from National & International artists. We typically screen films under 15 minutes in length, and films are screened during 30 minute segments between musical acts. We occasionally screen a longer short (longer than 15 minutes yet under 30 minutes) that would fill an entire 30-minute film segment. We choose the films we will show approximately 30 days after the late submission deadline, and announce the prize winners at the festival. All submitting filmmakers receive one free admission regardless whether film is selected.

Overall Rating
  • kaveh jahed

    Square Lake Festival is a perfect festival. It is one of those festivals that we will hear more and more about its successes in the future. I really suggest the film makers in all over the world, specially in IRAN, to submit your films in this festival.

    August 2017
  • Waabooz Film

    The essence of Square Lake Film Festival, is just that, it's a festival proper, in all of the ways. The absolute perfect summer setting. It's a place you'll want to return to. The music and movies are always very well curated and the outdoor atmosphere is almost immediately intimate. If you can't camp, spend the whole day, and definitely come again and again.

    August 2017
  • Peter Nelson

    This is a great festival in a beautiful setting. I love the variety of musical acts and films — it's such a refreshing combination. Paul Creager does a great job organizing and sent some really valuable feedback to me ahead of the screening. Communication and file transfers went smoothly. Glad to be a part of this festival and hope to participate many more times in the future!

    August 2017
  • John Akre

    The festival is in a beautiful setting with such a great vibe. The music acts bring an audience to see the films that might never go to a films-only event.

    August 2016
  • Tom Schroeder

    I've had films in the festival multiple times over the years and Paul Creager always organizes a good event. He's created a venue for Minnesota filmmakers to share their films with a relaxed and curious audience. There aren't too many opportunities like this in the Twin Cities area.

    August 2016