Red Dirt Film Festival Returns For an Eighth Season!
March 12-14, 2021 marks the eighth annual Red Dirt Film Festival, held in Stillwater, OK, bringing with it a bouquet of cultural flavor in the form of films and live music. Recently named one of FilmFreeway's Top 100 Film Festivals out of the nearly 9,000 worldwide, The Red Dirt International Film Festival is where film goes to have fun. We love movies and a good time. We are pleased to showcase films and screenplays* of many genres. During its 3-day run, we will kick-off our 8th season by featuring a very diverse-selection of films as we equally love a good comedy, horror film, drama, or documentary. We encourage submissions from directors who will be able to attend the entire festival, as we love to meet and network; forming friendships with fellow filmmakers and learning from each other is a key part of our festival!
Red Dirt was formed to bring more inspiration, culture, and entertainment to central Oklahoma, as well as to enliven people of all ages through the united power of the film medium. In addition to films we have parties each evening, workshops, panels, Q&As, live music, networking events and whatever else our creative minds create year-to-year!
Stillwater is the launchpad for a number of other amazing things such as the world-famous Eskimo Joe's restaurant, musicians such as The All-American Rejects, Garth Brooks, Red Dirt Music; Oklahoma State University, and actors such as James Marsden, and Gary Busey.
The daytime film venue is the Best Western Cimarron Plus Hotel and Suites located at 315 N Husband St, Stillwater, OK 74075. Over 50 films will be exhibited, from short films to features, ranging across many different genres. Screenplays will be workshopped with actors and given critiques by industry professionals. In addition there will be several guests on-hand to demonstrate during topical panels, and many filmmakers responsible for the works will be on-hand to provide lively discussion through Q&As, as-well as to network with local audiences, film buffs, and industry professionals alike.
Just as importantly, the live music portion will commence at Eskimo Joe's, 501 W. Elm, Stillwater, OK 74074, on Friday and Saturday nights, featuring a collage of up-and-coming live acts from many varying bands in the region, all under the curation of local music staple, Joe Mack. Featuring roughly four bands each night, the musical fun at Joe's provides fest fans the chance to unwind in a more relaxed atmosphere, within the confines of the legendary food and music joint.
Screenplay award recipients will be rewarded with a free professional listing of their project with InkTip, which facilitates the sale of scripts to more than 4,000 industry professionals, and which has sold scripts for 393 films!
Students with a valid student ID get into the film screenings and music portions for free. Passes for the general public will be available for purchase here as-well as on the festival's website, www.reddirtfilm.com. T-Shirts for this year's event will also be available there. Tickets for individual screening blocks are $5 at the door.
Those wishing to purchase passes for the entire festival weekend can save money and also have access to the VIP Kickoff Party hosted by Backstage Stillwater, 110 E. 7th, Stillwater, OK 74074, Friday evening.
We're also excited to be the one of the first American film festivals to feature the 'F-Rating', a designation to set-apart films written, produced, directed, or starring women filmmakers. This is a cause we champion.
We hope to see you at Red Dirt Film Festival this upcoming year and thank YOU for your submissions; we look forward to having you as part of our festival to celebrate great film and have a lot of fun!
In-person attendees at the awards ceremony will receive The Hardy award (a gorgeous Red Dirt tree statuette), and digital Laurels. Certificates and laurels alike will be mailed out to winners unable to attend.
Films represented at the fest will receive 2 VIP passes.
- We take all genres (excluding adult films).
- Domestic and International feature films, documentaries, shorts, VR, and student films are welcome.
- We reserve the right to determine the eligibility of all projects submitted.
- Projects must have been completed within 12 months of the event date to be eligible.
- All accepted films will be considered for competition unless otherwise noted. Projects may be accepted and presented "out of competition" if they fail to meet certain criteria.
- We reserve the right to play selected films of our choice at the actual festival based on filmmaker attendance, among other factors.
- Once you've been accepted to Red Dirt International Film, you become part of our family, which is why we offer a future alumni discount. So if your film gets selected be sure to submit next year with a discount!
- Students must provide proof of student status at the time of production. Details are provided in the student categories.
- All foreign language films must be submitted with English subtitles. Unfortunately any films that are submitted without working English subtitles will be disqualified without a refund of submission fees.
- It is the filmmakers' responsibility to check the quality of the final file before submitting. Though we check and will notify you if we find any errors, sometimes things can be overlooked. It is up to you to deliver a file you are pleased to exhibit.
- Exhibition films should be download-enabled on Vimeo (preferred) or you may send us
a standalone .MP4 or .MOV file via DropBox. In the instance of a Feature Film Premiere, we will also accept a DCP on a standard external plug and play USB hard drive.
(If your film is selected to screen at the festival you will be given more information at a later date.)
- Submission to the festival grants Red Dirt Film permission to use excerpts of accepted work and promotional materials (i.e. posters, photos, film trailers, etc.) in all promotional activities related to the festival.
THE FINE PRINT
By submitting to Red Dirt International Film Festival, I understand and agree to the following:
1. I have carefully read and understood and will comply with all rules, regulations and eligibility requirements of the Red Dirt Film.
2. I represent and warrant that: (a) I have the full right and power to make and perform this Agreement without the consent of any third party (or, if the consent of other parties is required, all of them are also signing this Agreement); (b) the film does not violate any copyright, trademark or other intellectual property right of any person or entity, and will not constitute a libel or slander of any person or entity or defame or disparage any person or entity or infringe upon or violate the rights of privacy, reputation, publicity, intellectual property and/or any other rights of any kind or nature of any person or entity; and (c) the film is not the subject of litigation or any claim that might give rise to litigation.
3. I agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Red Dirt Film and its affiliates from and against any liability, claim, cost, damage, or expense arising out of or in connection with any breach by me of this Submission Agreement.
4. I understand Red Dirt Film will not pay any shipping fees for promotional materials or awards. Materials sent will not be returned.
5. I understand and agree that if my film is selected, the number of screenings, days and venue is at the sole discretion of Red Dirt Film.
Response from festival:
Thank You Maryam for such a thoughtful review! I’m so glad to know that You enjoyed the Native culture and cowboy history Oklahoma has to offer, and thank You ever so much for the very kind compliments! I cannot wait to hopefully host You and your new project(s) here again (we now also have a screenplay competition since You were last here)! All the Best, - Damon
Response from festival:
I cannot express what a joy it was to have hosted Yourself and your whole team for Red Dirt Film 2020, and I cannot wait to cross paths again in the future! Thanks ever so much for the wonderful review! Hearing of these kinds of experiences is what makes this labour of Love all so worth it to me :)