MONTREAL FESTIVAL DU NOUVEAU CINÉMA (FNC)
A lively, bold, popular, innovative event! For 50 years, the FNC has been showcasing national and international auteur cinema, treating audiences to works of diversity and originality by emerging and major filmmakers. Our focus on the NEW is threefold: new creators, new approaches and new technologies. Dean of Canadian film festivals and a major Quebec event, the FNC presents every year over 200 works from 60 different countries to celebrate the best of today’s cinema!
50th anniversary from October 6 to 17, 2021
Hybrid edition: in-theatre and online
FESTIVAL DU NOUVEAU CINÉMA DE MONTRÉAL (FNC)
Fougueux, rassembleur, audacieux, innovant, événementiel… Depuis 50 ans, le FNC rend accessible le cinéma d’auteur national et international, tant par ses voix émergentes que ses oeuvres majeures, afin d’en faire découvrir toute l’originalité et la diversité. Le NOUVEAU s’incarne en trois temps: nouveaux créateurs, nouvelles approches et nouvelles technologies. Doyen des festivals de cinéma au Canada et événement québécois d’envergure, le FNC présente chaque année plus de 200 œuvres de 60 pays différents pour célébrer le meilleur du cinéma actuel!
50e anniversaire du 6 au 17 octobre 2021
Édition hybride: en salle et en ligne
• Eurimages' Audentia Award 2021 for a woman filmmaker
• International Film Critics Awards (FIPRESCI Prize)
> INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION:
Today’s most relevant, bold, thrilling cinema
• Louve d'or - best international feature film
• Loup argenté - best international short film
+ Academy Award® Qualifying
• Daniel Langlois innovation award
- most innovative international feature film
• Best performance award
- best performance in an international feature film
> NATIONAL COMPETITION: Spotlight on Canadian cinema
• National Grand Prize - best Canadian feature and short films
• Prix de la diffusion Québecor - Canadian feature film
• Audience award - Canadian short film
> TEMPS Ø: The wild bunch, bold cinematic rebels and adventurous films
• Audience Award - Temps 0 feature film
> NOUVEAUX ALCHIMISTES (NA): Experimentation, poetry, transcendence
• Nouveaux alchimistes prize - best NA feature film
• Dada international prize - best international NA short film
• Dada national prize - best national NA short film
• Best animation prize - best animated NA short film
> P’TITS LOUPS: New cinema for children, young and old
• P’tits loups prize - best P'tits loups short film
given by a jury of young moviegoers (aged 8-12)
> RENCONTRES PANCANADIENNES DU CINÉMA ÉTUDIANT (RPCÉ):
National competition of student short films
• RPCE award - best student short film
> THE ESSENTIALS (LES INCONTOURNABLES): The greatest names in cinema
> HISTORY OF CINEMA: Tributes, retrospectives, films about cinema
> SPECIAL PRESENTATION: Premiers, events, happenings
> FNC EXPLORE : Exploring new technology trends (XR projects)
• Horizon Award - most innovative 6DoF Animation
• Panorama VR Award - best 360 virtual reality artwork
> FNC FORUM: Four days of professional gatherings
• Pitch Premières oeuvres award - best film pitch
(first feature and medium length fiction projects in development)
The Festival is looking for films as well as virtual reality, interactive and performances works for its 50th edition which will run from October 6 to 17, 2021 in Montréal!
Submit your works before June 1st to be considered for the Festival this year!
The followings should be provided with each submission:
• Duly filled submission form
• A secured online screener valid until the end of the festival on October 17, 2021
• Full payment of the submission fees
The festival accepts submissions of:
• Short film: Films under 59 minutes
• Feature film: Films of 59 minutes and over
• New media art work (virtual or augmented reality, installation, immersive work): no length limit
All works selected by FNC must comply with the following premiere status requirements:
• feature films: Quebec premiere
• short films: Quebec premiere for the Canadian shorts; Canadian premiere for the international shorts
• new media works: Canadian premiere (exceptions can nonetheless apply on a case by case basis upon discussions with the programming team)
***** IMPORTANT NOTICE: Films and artworks that have been presented prior to our dates, via an online platform accessible in all over Canada (Canada-wide geoblocked) DO NOT qualify for submission. Your work CAN still be eligible, if it is to be presented at TIFF2021 or VIFF2021.
All works which do not comply with these premiere status requirements (meaning works that have been broadcast on television or screened publicly in theaters prior to the festival dates) are not eligible for consideration.
Works must be subtitled in either French or English if the original language is neither French nor English.
• Only works completed after January 1, 2020 will be considered.
• Works previously submitted and rejected by the festival are not eligible for consideration.
Submission Fees :
- Early Bird : from March 1 to April 15: 40 USD
- Regular : from April 16 to May 15: 45 USD
- Last Minute : from May 16 to June 1: 55 USD
SHORT FILMS AND NEW MEDIA ART WORKS:
- Early Bird : from March 1 to April 15: 35 USD
- Regular : from April 16 to May 15: 40 USD
- Last Minute : from May 16 to June 1: 50 USD
Please note that submission fees will not be refunded if an applicant decides to withdraw a submission.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: June 1, 2021 at 11:59pm (UTC-5)
SELECTION: applicants will be notified of the selection or rejection of their submitted work by email around early September 2021.
N.B. The FNC organizers have final authority on all matters not specifically covered by these regulations.