"The only true realist is the visionary." (Federico Fellini)
FLIGHT - Mostra del Cinema di Genova is an event created by Cesare Bedogné and Sasha Balagura devoted to cinema as an art form.
In October 2020 the first edition of FLIGHT took place in Genova amid fears of incoming Covid-second wave, theaters on the verge of closing, guests stranded in airports due to cancelled flights. But it was a success.
Encouraged by the success of the first edition, we took off for a second FLIGHT in September 2021. The main venue for the event was the Auditorium of San Salvatore a fascinating XVII Century baroque church now used by the University of Genova, but we had screenings also in theters around the city, in art galleries and in culural institutions. More than 80 works from 27 countries were screened in the 6-days event and we had over 25 directors and filmmakers who came to present their work from all over Europe to a passionate audience
This year we are off to a third (and hopefully less bumpy) flight . As usual, we will privilege, in our selection, films with a poetic or visionary value, experimental and thought provoking films, avant-garde works and innovative languages. Equal importance will be given to fiction and non-fiction works, to features and shorts, and the festival’s Grand Prix, dedicated to Eadweard Muybridge (Grand Prix Pigeon Flying, 2500 € cash prize) will be assigned to the Best Film, regardless of genre, duration and theme.
A one-of-a-kind work of art, created by an outstanding Italian artist and inspired by Muybridge’s Pigeon Flying, will also be given to the Grand Prix winner.
Ample attention will be devoted also to films out of competition, which will be hosted in the new Visioni Flight section.
No other place appears to us more suitable for our Festival than the city of Genoa, with its port and its contrasts, with its dazzling lights and the darkness of the old town, with a thousand languages and its dialect, its innumerable departures and returns.
The Festival is organized by the non profit cultural association, Associazione Culturale 28 Dicembre, in partnership with many local entities and organizations, like ACEC (the Association of Catholic Cinemas), the University of Genova, the Chamber of Commerce, etc. Our screenings will take place in many different cinemas, film-clubs, art galleries, both in the heart of old Genoa and in other interesting and multicultural neighborhoods, in the aim of involving in the Festival the whole town. We will also try to find unexpected locations for special screenings. We are also planning to have screening in some of the beautiful small cities and villages of the Ligurian Riviera
For further information, please visit our website and our Facebook page, which will be kept constantly updated. Before submitting, please read our artistic and curatorial Manifesto on the Website:
In this page: Leonardo Da Vinci, "Codex on the Flight of Birds"
Aleksandr Balagura, still from "Life Span of the Object in Frame"
The Festival Logo, inspired by "Pigeon Flying, Plate 755" by Eadweard
Muybridge, was designed by Thomas Gori
The Eadweard Muybridge Grand Prix (2500€), will be awarded to the Best Film regardless of genre, theme and duration.
The Jury can award an additional Special Jury Award.
Other FLIGHT Awards:
Best Short Film
Best Feature Film
Best Video Art Work
Best Animation Film
All the Jury’s Awards and Special Mentions will be motivated.
A new non-competitive official section called Visioni Flight has been created this year. The Selection Commitee will decide which works will be part of the competitive sections and which will be part of Visioni Flight. All the selected works will be able to use the title of "FLIGHT - Ufficial Selection".
- A Students' Jury will select one film for the Students' Award
- The Genova Film Critics Association will select one of the Feature Films as the winner of their award
- ACEC will select one or more works for their awards
1. Deadline June 17th, 2022.
2. Early-bird deadline March, 7th to April 15th, 2022: 12 Euros/film.
3. Regular deadline April 16th to June 17th , 2022 : 15 Euros/film.
4. Late deadline June 18th to July 8th , 2022: 25 Euros/film.
5. No refunds.
1. All genres accepted.
2. Short Films under 60 minutes, Feature Films above 60 minutes.
3. Films in competition may have been produced in any year, but we give preferred consideration to films produced after January 2019. Films out of competition may have been produced after December 28th, 1895.
4. Multiple submissions allowed.
5. As a rule, a high quality DCP or mp4 file should be provided.
7. Premiere status is welcomed but not explicitly required. Please let us know if your film has already been screened in Italy (and where)
8. All films with dialogue must have English subtitles. Dialog list in English and SRT file should be provided for Italian subtitling. If an Italian version of the film or a dialog list in Italian exist, that would help us a lot.
9. Please ensure you have all the third-party rights needed to take part in the festival.
The artistic director will appoint a selection committee that will be in charge of the selection of films for the competition.
A prestigious international Jury will be appointed to award category prizes and the Grand Prix.
Entrants will be notified of the selection results no later than July 11th, 2022.
Please be sure your selected film has obtained all film and music rights clearances, in accordance to copyright laws.
The Mostra del Cinema di Genova is authorised to use your trailer, or a short film excerpt (max. 5 minutes) for promotion of the Festival on TV, radio or on the Internet.
Selected films cannot be withdrawn from the Festival under any circumstances.