"The only true realist is the visionary." (Federico Fellini)
FLIGHT - Mostra del Cinema di Genova is an event created by Cesare Bedogné and Sasha Balagura devoted to cinema as an art form.
In October 2020 the first edition of FLIGHT took sucessfully place in Genova (amid fears of incoming Covid-second wave) . The second FLIGHT was in September 2021: the main venue for the event was the Auditorium of San Salvatore a fascinating XVII Century baroque church now used by the University of Genova. Last year we took off for our 3rd FLIGHT, finally Covid-free, well attended and with more than 80 works from 27 countries screened in the -days event. More than 25 directors and filmmakers from all over Europe, Canada and the US were in Genova to present their works to a passionate audience
This year we are off to our 4th edition . As usual, we will privilege, in our selection, films with a poetic or visionary value, experimental and thought-provoking films, avant-garde works and innovative languages. Equal importance will be given to fiction and non-fiction works, to features and shorts, and the festival’s Grand Prix, dedicated to Eadweard Muybridge (Grand Prix Pigeon Flying, 2500 € cash prize) will be assigned to the Best Film, regardless of genre, duration and theme.
A one-of-a-kind work of art, created by an outstanding artist and inspired by Muybridge’s Pigeon Flying, will also be given to the Grand Prix winner.
Ample attention will be devoted also to films out of competition, which will be hosted in the "Visioni Flight" section. A non-competitive section called "Volo in Liguria", will feature authors and films who have a special relationship with Genova and the Liguria region.
No other place appears to us more suitable for our Festival than the city of Genova, with its port and its contrasts, with its dazzling lights and the darkness of the old town, with a thousand languages and its dialect, its innumerable departures and returns.
The Festival is organized by the non-profit cultural association, Associazione 28 Dicembre, in partnership with many local entities and organizations, like ACEC (the Catholic Association of Cinemas), the University of Genova, the Chamber of Commerce, the Convention Bureau, etc. Our screenings will take place in many different cinemas, film clubs, art galleries, both in the heart of old Genoa and in other interesting and multicultural neighborhoods, with the goal of making the Festival for the whole town. We will also try to find unexpected locations for special screenings.
For further information, please visit our website and our Facebook and Instagram pages, which will be constantly updated. Before submitting, please read our artistic and curatorial Manifesto on the Website:
In this page: Leonardo Da Vinci, "Codex on the Flight of Birds"
Aleksandr Balagura, still from "Life Span of the Object in Frame"
The Festival Logo, inspired by "Pigeon Flying, Plate 755" by Eadweard
Muybridge, was designed by Thomas Gori
The Eadweard Muybridge Grand Prix (2500€), will be awarded to the Best Film regardless of genre, theme and duration.
The Jury can award an additional Special Jury Award.
Other FLIGHT Awards:
Best Short Film
Best Feature Film
Best Video Art Work
Best Animation Film
All the Jury’s Awards and Special Mentions will be motivated.
A non-competitive official section called Visioni Flight has been created last year. The Selection Commitee will decide which works will be part of the competitive sections and which will be part of Visioni Flight. All selected works will be able to use the title of "FLIGHT - Official Selection" and the related laurel.
- A Students' Jury will select one film for the Students' Award
- The Ligurian Film Critics Association will select one of the Feature Films in competition as the winner of their award
1. Deadline June 16th, 2023.
2. Early-bird deadline January 20th to February 28th, 2023: 14 US$/film.
3. Regular deadline March 1st to May 30th , 2023 : 18 US$/film.
4. Late deadline June 1st to June 30th , 2023: 30 US$/film.
5. No refunds.
1. All genres accepted.
2. Short Films under 50 minutes, Feature Films above 50 minutes.
3. Films in competition must have been produced after January 2019. Films out of competition may have been produced after December 28th, 1895.
4. Multiple submissions allowed.
5. As a rule, a high quality DCP or mp4 file should be provided.
7. Premiere status is welcomed but not required. Please let us know if your film has already been screened in Italy (and where) .
8. All films with dialogue must have English subtitles. Dialog list in English and SRT file should be provided for Italian subtitling. If an Italian version of the film or a dialog list in Italian exist, that would help us a lot.
9. Please ensure you have all the third-party rights needed to take part in the festival.
The artistic director will appoint a selection committee that will be in charge of the selection of films for the competition.
A prestigious international Jury will be appointed to award category prizes and the Grand Prix.
Entrants will be notified of the selection results no later than July 8th, 2023.
Please be sure your selected film has obtained all film and music rights clearances, in accordance to copyright laws.
The Mostra del Cinema di Genova is authorised to use your trailer, or a short film excerpt (max. 5 minutes) for promotion of the Festival on TV, radio or on the Internet.
Selected films cannot be withdrawn from the Festival under any circumstances.