GRRL HAUS CINEMA is an ongoing program of short films and video art made by women. A mix of local, national, and international artists present work from a variety of disciplines: narrative, documentary, experimental, and conceptual. With an emphasis on low budget and DIY, GRRL HAUS is a space for underrepresented voices in the arts today.
Our main events include bi-monthly screenings at IL KINO in Berlin Germany, as well as events at the historic Brattle Theatre in Cambridge, MA. These events have showcased over 200 filmmakers, including multiple musical performances, video art installations, and local vendors.
In 2018 we had a total of 12 screenings. 2018 venues included : The Institute of Contemporary Art Boston, Alamo Drafthouse Yonkers, WORM Rotterdam, Loophole Berlin, IL KINO, Brattle Theatre and Dorchester Art Project.
We have multiple events scheduled for 2019 and are looking for short films for all the events! Submissions are open until Nov. 1st 2019. And will be accepted on a rolling bases.
2019 future screenings will take place in -
Berlin, Germany - IL KINO
Cambridge, MA, USA - Brattle Theatre
Los Angeles, CA - tba
New York, NY, USA - tba
Berlin, Germany - Loophole Berlin
Rotterdam, Netherlands - tba
Sofia, Bulgaria - in association with WORLD OF CO artist residency
Biarritz, France - in association with Pioche Projects
*for 2018 we had over 300 submissions and selected roughly 120 films to screen at different events. We keep archives of all submissions, so even though we might not select your film for a current event, there is always chance that we will select it for a future screening.*
The earlier you submit the bigger chance you have to be considered for all the events. But we are constantly planning more screenings, so there will always be more to be considered for!
-Selected filmmakers will receive free entry and guest tickets to the event.
-Selected films will have the possibility of screening in other events in the future. This includes party screenings and exhibition screenings.
-Films and Directors name will be permanently listed on the GRRL HAUS CINEMA site, and in all of our social media pages.
- You will be part of the growing GRRL HAUS community, which will continue to promote women's work in the film industry.
- FILMS MUST BE DIRECTED BY WOMEN - this means that if your film has credits, their name MUST be listed in the credits as a director!
- Films should be less than 30 min long
- Worldwide submissions accepted
- Films accepted can be documentaries, animation, fiction, narratives, music videos, experimental, video art and in any language
- If film is made by a Berlin based filmmaker, please say "Berlin Local Film" in submission
- If film is made by a Massachusetts local filmmaker, please say "Boston Local Film" in submission
- If film is made by a Los Angeles local filmmaker, please say "L.A. Local Film" in submission
- Films submitted must be in digital format.
- Filmmakers must agree to the use of their film stills and clips of films being included in promotional materials and trailers for the event
-If selected and if film is not in English, films must have subtitles embedded in the file.