WIN £1,000 IN PRODUCTION SUPPORT FOR YOUR NEXT SHORT FILM!
Tired of film festivals taking your cash and giving you nothing in return, making you wonder if they even watched your film? So are we! That’s why we decided to start “The People’s Film Festival”, RUN BY FILMMAKERS FOR FILMMAKERS! We’re committed to giving each and every filmmaker that submits to our festival 100% feedback! And to keep the competition fair, our categories are based on Production Budget rather than genre.
“The People’s Film Festival” provides independent short filmmakers with an unprecedented positive film festival experience while giving audiences access to artistic labours of love. It’s our aim to facilitate the marriage of underground, counter-culture and independent artistic voices with audiences hungry for new ideas. We’re here to support and reward passionate filmmakers who put it all on the line to share with us their stories. We’re here for the love of film.
Kino London runs monthly short film competitions. The winners of the monthly competitions form the Official Selections for The People's Film Festival. All Official Selections are screened during our gala November 2019. Annual winners will be eligible to apply for up to £1,000 in production support for their next short film project.
Kino London is a unique platform that supports all levels of filmmaking, from absolute beginners through to career professionals. There are over a thousand filmmakers in our London Meetup group, and our mission is to help all filmmakers ‘write it, shoot it, and screen it!’ The Kino International Filmmaking Movement is an initiative explained succinctly by the motto “Do well with nothing, do better with little, and do it now!” Various cells across the globe are embracing this motto to run independently organized filmmaking events with a heavy focus on truly independent cinema, and Kino London is one such cell that has been running filmmaking events since 2009.
MONTHLY SEMI-FINALISTS & FINALISTS in each of our 3 categories will receive appropriate laurels and qualify for additional "Awards of Excellence" based on merit in certain categories, ie. Award of Excellence in Cinematography, Award of Excellence in Editing, etc.
MONTHLY WINNERS will become OFFICAL SELECTIONS and receive TWO SCREENINGS! The first at one of our monthly Short Film Screenings at the Candid Arts Trust in London and the second at the annual People's Film Festival in November where all films will be eligible for awards in the following categories:
Best Short Film
Best Micro-Budget Short
Best Low Budget Short
Best Sponsored Short
Best Short Drama
Best Short Comedy
Best Experimental Short Film
Best Short SciFi
Best Short Horror (Award Sponsored by Fun Size Horror)
Best Short Documentary
Best Short Animation
Best Web Series
Best Music Video
Best Student Short
Best Under 18 Short
Best Actor in a Drama (Sub-genres can qualify based on the tone of the performance)
Best Actor in a Comedy (Sub-genres can qualify based on the tone of the performance)
Best Ensemble Cast
Best Original Screenplay
Best Original Score
Best First Time Filmmaker
Best Production Design
Best Costume Design
Best Sound Design
Best LGBTQ Short
Best Foreign Language Short
All Award Winners will receive Laurel, Statuette & Certificate.
All filmmakers who win in one of the above categories are eligible to apply for the Kino London Film Fund. The winner is selected by Festival Jury on the merits of filmmakers previous work combined with their vision for a future project. Up to £1,000 will be awarded to fund one project, with production support for that project through Kino London.
• Submissions are open to anyone.
• All film must be 15 minutes or under.
• All genres accepted.
• No premiere status is required.
• All submissions must include production budget.
• Films depicting real-life illegal or exploitive acts will be rejected.
• All films, not in the English language, are required to have subtitles.
• Films must have completed post-production after January 2017.
• The payment of an entrance fee is required.
• Entry fees are non-refundable.
• By submitting your film to The People’s Film Festival you confirm to own the rights of the film.
• The People’s Film Festival will not be held responsible for any copyright issues or infringements.
• By submitting your film you acknowledge that The People’s Film Festival reserves the right to promote your film on our website and social media. (we will not publish your film/trailer if you don't want us to!)
• The internal jury of The People’s Film Festival will select the finalists and winning films and special awards.
• The films are judged on the quality of the project as compared to their production budget.
• Entry does not guarantee acceptance into the festival.
• Monthly Winners will be automatically eligible for special awards.
• Finalists and Winners will receive Festival Laurels and Digital Certificates.
• The People’s Film Festival does not make your film available online to the public.
• By Submitting to The People’s Film Festival you agree to be put on our mailing list.
• The People’s Film Festival director has the right to make decisions about matters not provided by these rules.
• Rules and terms and conditions are subject to change at the discretion of The People’s Film Festival.
• By submitting you declare that you have understood, and agreed to the rules and terms of The People’s Film Festival.