KC FilmFest International (formally known as Kansas City FilmFest) is celebrating it’s 24th year of bringing independent film to Kansas City audiences. Please join us!
• Five days of independent films from around the country and the world!
• 120 + narrative and documentary shorts and features
• All topics, and in addition, film tracks on CinemaJazz, Women Directed Films, Latin Cinema, Black Voices Matter, Alternate Stories, World Cinema, Every Game Has a Story and more
• Filmmaker panels, seminars, opening receptions and nightly after-parties
• Audience Choice award & nine juried awards selected by film professionals from across the U.S.
• Engaged, enthusisastic, arts-oriented audiences
•Visiting Filmmakers are treated to a complimentary tour of the American Jazz Museum, Negro Leagues Baseball Museum and a KC BBQ lunch!
Each year the festival builds on its tradition of bringing inspiring, thought-provoking, and entertaining films to Kansas City audiences and offers opportunities for artists and filmmakers to network, and develop their craft and art. KCFFI encourages filmmakers to attend the festival so they can have the opportunity to interact and engage with our great Kansas City audiences!
Over the years, our visiting filmmakers let us know how much they've enjoyed screening for, and interacting with, our engaged and enthusiastic audiences! Filmmakers planning on attending should notify Kansas City FilmFest International as soon as possible, so their names may be listed in the scheduled program with their film to be in attendance.
Final jurors for Kansas City FilmFest International 2020 will come from a selection of industry professionals in filmmaking, distribution, film media, and festival programmers.
Kansas City FilmFest International is the longest running and largest film festival in the Kansas City Metro Area. It's presented and governed by the Kansas City Filmmakers Jubilee, a nonprofit arts organization, which debuted its first film festival in April 1997.
-Narrative Short ($250 prize)
-Narrative Feature ($500 prize)
-Documentary Feature ($500 prize)
-Documentary Short ($250 prize)
-Heartland College Student Short($150)
-Heartland Highschool Student Short ($150)
-Rick Cowan Award for Best Cinematic Heartland Film Locations ($500) Films must have been at least partially shot in Missouri or Kansas to qualify. Included location details in submission form.
-Best Actor in a Narrative Feature Film
-Audience Choice Award for Narrative Feature (is voted on during the festival by audiences)
-Audience Choice Award for Documentary Feature (is voted on during the festival by audiences)
-Fred Andrews Emerging Filmmaker Award
-Heartland Filmmaker Award- May be awarded by Programming for an outstanding feature if the filmmaker currently resides in Missouri or Kansas, was born in Missouri or Kansas, or the film was shot in Missouri or Kansas.
KCWIFT & KCFFI Short Screenplay Contest
• BEST SHORT SCREENPLAY by a female writer or an all-female co-writing team: $1,000 Grand Prize
• BEST FEMALE PROTAGONIST (female and male writers and writing teams are eligible): $500 Cash Prize
• BEST HEARTLAND SHORT SCREENPLAY (Best Short Screenplay and Best Female Protagonist entrants who currently live in Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska and Iowa are eligible): $250 Cash Prize
• AUDIENCE CHOICE AWARD (all finalists are eligible): $100 Cash Prize
• FINALISTS: A festival pass to the 2020 Kansas City FilmFest International and a staged reading of finalists’ screenplays in selected categories during the festival.
Fiction, experimental and/or animation films may be original or adapted from a previously published source. All footage must be original. Documentaries may include footage from other sources. In ALL genres the music may be original or an interpretation but you must certify receipt of any and all releases &/or permissions. To be considered for competition, no public screening should have been held in the Kansas City Metro Area past December 1, 2019.
Submission implies acceptance of the Rules and Regulations by all producers, directors and/or their agents submitting material.
• NO ENTRY FEE WAIVERS.
• Works in progress will NOT be considered for competition or screened at 2020 Kansas City FilmFest International
• All work must be entered no later than the final deadline date (January 8, 2020)
• Entries must have been completed either on or after August 1, 2018.
• All films must be in English or subtitled in English.
• The filmmaker(s) must secure all rights, licenses, clearances and releases necessary for exhibition. A completed entry through FilmFreeway will be accepted as acknowledgment of the entrant having done so.
• All entry materials become the property of the 2020 Kansas City FilmFest International
• All work must be completed and submitted no later than the deadline date. No refunds. By submitting this material you acknowledge the Jubilee's right to copy any submitted material for KCFFI's non-commercial use only.
• All determinations will be made and clarified by Kansas City FilmFest International programmers and jurors. Their decisions are final. Kansas City FilmFest International reserves the right to determine the eligibility of any project and to rule on cases not foreseen by these guidelines. Work will be classified as a competitive or non-competitive entry at the sole discretion of Kansas City FilmFest International .
NOTIFICATION DATE: Filmmakers will receive notification about their film, if acceptanced or not accepted, March 4th, 2020.
ACCEPTED FILMS: Should your film be accepted in the 2020 Kansas City FilmFest International , you grant KCFFI the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Kansas City FilmFest International for promotional purposes.
Agreements: If your film or video is accepted for screening in the 2020 Kansas City FilmFest International , you agree to and understand the following:
• FORMAT: You agree to provide the festival a digital upload for exhibition or DCP. DCP must be approved by the Content Manager. Feature and short films may send DCP. Films must be received no later than March 21, 2020 so we can build the program reels.
• SHIPPING: If you are mailing an exhibition copy, you are responsible for the arrangements and cost of shipping the exhibition copy to Kansas City FilmFest International .
• PUBLICITY: Upon acceptance, you will be requested to submit to Kansas City FilmFest International with digital stills and other digital and printed press materials. You are required to work with Kansas City FilmFest International 's PR department for any press outreach.
• LOSS & DAMAGE: Every precaution will be taken to safeguard films, videos and publicity materials while they are in the possession of the Kansas City FilmFest International/Jubilee. However, if loss or damage occurs, Kansas City FilmFest International/Jubilee cannot accept or assume responsibility.
Kansas City FilmFest International/Jubilee has the right to cancel festival or events associated with the festival in the event of unforeseen circumstances which reasonably require cancellation, and will advise the entrants.
KCWIFT & KCFFI Short Screenplay Contest- Please go to this link to enter : https://filmfreeway.com/KCWIFT_KCFilmFestInternationalShortScreenplayContest