Kanab Utah's first official film festival returns April 16 - 18, 2020. Kanab Film Fest will take place in scenic Kanab Utah, known for its beauty and proximity to Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park, & the Grand Canyon. The 2020 Kanab film fest is the second year and is the first film festival of its type in Kanab Utah, despite Kanab having a long and storied history of filmmaking going back to the 1930’s. Between 1930 and the 1990’s over 300 films were made in Kanab, and a handful more since including HBO'S Westworld. Kanab Film Fest celebrates this rich movie-making history and brings it into the current day.
Submissions to Kanab Film Fest are expected to come from all over the world, and judging and screening will be done in “Student”, “Utah Filmmakers”, “Comedy”, "Animation/VFX", "Feature Film", and "Short Film" categories.
Please submit your film in the appropriate category. Kanab Film Fest organizers- Jeff and Britt Roth- can be reached through kanabfilm.com or by email to email@example.com. Look forward to seeing your work!
5 REASONS TO SUBMIT TO KANAB FILM FESTIVAL:
1. THE CITY: Kanab is located in Southern Utah, nestled within red rock canyons, surrounded by abundant magically unspoiled natural beauty. The locals are amazing and friendly, and the community is open and supportive.
2. THE SELECTION PROCESS: We take to heart the amount of work put into each film. Therefore, we are careful to ensure that each movie is reviewed at least twice. We like to be transparent in our process and judge the story over the production value.
3. THE HISTORY: Kanab has a rich film history going back to the 1930’s. Lining the main street are plaques composed of historical information about the actors that appeared in Westerns filmed in our area.
4. THE FOOD: Despite being a rural town, we have some of the best restaurants in the state. On tripadvisor.com all of our restaurants have between a 4 to 5 star rating and we will not disappoint at the festival.
5. THE KFF HUB: Millions of visitors from all over the world visit Kanab to enjoy 6 National Parks all within an hour and a half drive. The international presence of tourists gives Kanab a vibrant culture rarely found in such remote towns. We also have the nation’s largest Animal Sanctuary located 5 minutes from downtown Kanab. Fear not, getting to Kanab is easy. We’re 3 hours from the Las Vegas Airport or an hour from the St. George Airport.
Bottom Line: At Kanab Film Festival, we pride ourselves on building a unique experience for tourists and filmmakers alike. April is one of the best months to visit Kanab because of the perfect weather and local hospitality. Beyond natural beauty, production value, budget, and stars, we value the power of a well-told story. We can’t wait for you to tell us yours.
Best in Show
Best Student Film
Best Utah Film
Best Comedy Film
Best Animation/VFX Film
Best Feature Film
Best Short Film
2020 KANAB FILM FESTIVAL FILM COMPETITION RULES
The following rules govern all film submissions to the Kanab Film Festival (“KFF” or the “Festival”)
1. Submissions must be accompanied by the applicable submission fee PER ENTRY and a completed online entry form.
2. All films must be in English or have English subtitles at the time submitted.
3. In the event of a password change or link change after submitting, you must email the Festival at hello@Kanabfilm.com immediately with that change so we may update your record. If the Festival is not notified of the change and the link is found to be inactive or the password to be incorrect, the submission may be deemed ineligible, without a refund.
4. KFF screens films as digital files during the Festival and does NOT screen films on Blu-Ray, HD-CAM, or DCP. If you are unable or unwilling to provide us your film as a digital file for exhibition, DO NOT SUBMIT your film.
**Please submit films in 1920x1080 29.97 fps H.264 format.**
5. Films must have been completed after January 1, 2016. Films must be available for screening during the Kanab Film Festival, April 16 - 20, 2020.
6. Films that have been submitted to KFF in previous years are eligible to be resubmitted, provided they are eligible according to all of KFF’s current rules.
7. Films with US distribution (obtained prior to being selected for KFF screening) or films produced, financed or initiated by a major film studio or television network are ineligible for competition, but may be considered for a special screening. Selection for screening will be determined no later than one month prior to the festival. Films that have screened on US network or cable television or distributed to theaters prior to the festival dates are also ineligible for competition. This excludes single screenings in a local Utah theater
8. Short Films that have played in Kanab in a theatrical setting to a public audience prior to April 2020 are not eligible to compete at Kanab Film Festival. This includes Shorts Night or other festivals. The ONLY exception is that a short may play as part of a class screening for an accredited university’s film program. We prefer that shorts be Utah premieres.
9. Short films that are publicly available online prior to the Festival may be considered for exhibition during the Festival, but will be ineligible for Jury Awards. We prefer that shorts not be publicly available online.
10. Feature films must be at least a Utah premiere, barring student films. KFF will not screen features in competition that have played at other Utah festivals. We prefer World, North American, and US premieres and all things being equal, will often opt to program the film that has not yet had a release over one that has played at several festivals.
11. Private invite-only screenings (for instance for cast and crew or donors) do not KFFect a film’s eligibility.
12. KFF reserves the right in its sole discretion to reject or disqualify any ineligible entries, without a refund.
13. Films that are selected to screen at the Festival may not necessarily be selected to be “in competition” for awards purposes. Notifications regarding potential selection for competition status possibly may occur subsequent to notifications of acceptance for exhibition.
14. Kanab Film Fest reserves the right to show any portion of your officially selected film in our promotional material.
Originality and Permissions; INDEMNITY
1. Films must be the original work of the applicants. If a film is based upon another person’s life or upon a book or other underlying work, applicant(s) must secure any necessary rights to make such adaptations. However, it is not necessary to submit the adaptation rights agreements to the Festival. Neither the Festival nor its jurists investigates or attests to the authenticity of an applicant’s statement of authorship or rights secured. By entering the competition, you represent that you have secured all necessary rights.
2. Applicants are solely responsible for obtaining all necessary rights and permissions for third-party materials included in their films, including but not limited to music, trademarks, logos, copyrights, and other intellectual property rights. KFF expressly disclaims all liability or responsibility for any violations of the foregoing.
1. We strongly encourage filmmakers to submit their film only after it is fully finished and will judge each submission as a completed work, whether it is or not. Once a film is entered, we will not update the submission with a more recent cut. That said, because KFF’s focus is on story, minor technical changes will not affect the final decision of any film. Should the film be accepted to play during the Festival, the filmmaker will have the opportunity to supply the Festival with their most recent version.
2. Kanab Film Festival reserves the right to switch the entry category or otherwise assign a category to fit programming needs and interests, and films will not be penalized for the original submission selection.
3. Once an entry payment has been received we cannot provide a refund. If a payment is disputed by an entrant for any reason, the entrant may be subject to any transaction fees or similar amounts incurred by KFF in connection with the dispute.
4. You MUST include your physical address either in your entry or in your cover letter. Please do not submit a film without giving us your address, which we need for our records.
5. Payments made with a check are subject to our Bounced Check Policy: If we receive a returned check from our bank for a payment you made, you will be invoiced for the original amount of the check plus a $25 bounced check fee. The payment of the invoiced amount will be due within 30 days of invoice date. We will not re-submit the original check, nor will we accept another check for repayment. Repayment must be made by money order or cashier’s check.
6. Please include in your cover letter if your film was SHOT IN UTAH (include locations) or made by UTAH FILMMAKERS. We don't want to miss your film!
The Kanab Film Festival does NOT waive entry fees. KFF believes waiving entry fees hurts the integrity of the competition. The same rules and entry fees should apply to all applicants so no one film is favored over another. In a similar respect KFF does NOT invite films to be in competition. ONLY films submitted will be considered for competition.
We understand the financial constraint of filmmaking and costs of submitting to festivals and we still hope you can find it in your budget to submit your film.
Selected Films and Winners
1. KFF has no obligation (other than as stated in these rules or on our website) to disclose any of the following information: i) identities of screeners or judges; ii) notes, feedback, or information relating to the submitted project; and/or iii) details regarding the submission review or selection process.
2. KFF explicitly disclaims any liability or responsibility for any comments, notes, or opinions expressed about a submission, whether by KFF or by its volunteers.
3. Winners will be announced on April 13, 2019. The judges’ decision is final.
4. Winners receiving cash prizes are solely responsible for payment of all applicable local, state, and federal taxes.
RETURNS & ACKNOWLEDGMENTS:
DVDs and press materials will not be returned under any circumstances. Include a self-addressed, stamped postcard for each submission if you wish acknowledgment of the receipt of your entry.
COMPETITION IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
I/We have read all of the rules, understand, and have complied with these rules.
I/We warrant the submission of my/our original work and that there are no disputes regarding the ownership of the submission.
I/We also warrant the submitted material does not defame or invade the rights of any person living or dead.
To the best of my/our knowledge, all the statements herein are true and correct.
I/We understand that failure to adhere to the competition rules and regulations will result in disqualification and forfeiture of entry fee.
I/We acknowledge that once an entry payment has been processed, KFF will not provide a refund.
No revisions of materials will be accepted once entry has been submitted.
BY SUBMITTING THE MATERIAL, I/WE HEREBY AGREES TO INDEMNIFY, HOLD HARMLESS, AND DEFEND THE FESTIVAL, ITS EMPLOYEES, DIRECTORS, REPRESENTATIVES, AND AFFILIATES FROM ALL LIABILITY, CLAIMS, AND DAMAGES IN CONNECTION WITH THE SUBMISSION AND FROM ANY FEES AND EXPENSES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO REASONABLE ATTORNEYS’ FEES, THAT ANY OF THEM MAY INCUR IN CONNECTION THEREWITH.