The Ithaca Experimental Film Festival's mission is to provide a platform for local and regional filmmakers to screen their work and discuss it among a community of DIY independent filmmakers.
Our intent is to give a platform to unique creative voices and cinematic aesthetics that are often ignored in larger spaces and festivals, ranging from documentary, to animation, to non-traditional narrative films.
Best in Show
ITHACA EXPERIMENTAL FILM FESTIVAL'S RULES & REGULATIONS 2023:
We are looking for experimental films of any kind, ranging from documentary, non-traditional narrative, animation, and everything in between. By submitting your film for consideration to the Ithaca Experimental Film Festival you agree to the following Festival Rules, Terms, and Conditions as well as being contacted by Ithaca Experimental Film Festival in relation to its current and future festival competition:
1. I have read all of the Ithaca Experimental Film Festival rules. I understand and agree with the rules.
2. I warrant the submission of my original work, and there are no disputes regarding the ownership or distribution, or exhibition rights of the submission in part or in entirety. I also warrant the submitted material does not defame or invade the rights of any person living or dead and I fully indemnify the Ithaca Experimental Film Festival against any claim made for such violations of law.
3. To the best of my knowledge, the statements herein are true and correct. I understand that failure to adhere to festival rules will result in disqualification from screening and forfeiture of the entry fee.
4. The festival reserves the right to use a clip, and or clips or photos from accepted entries for up to three minutes in length for promotional purposes. The festival reserves the right to screen accepted entries as part of the Ithaca Experimental Film Festival.
5. I agree and hold the Ithaca Experimental Film Festival, Inc. harmless from and defend them from all claims, demands, losses, damages, judgments, liabilities, and expenses (including attorneys' fees) arising out of or in connection with any and all claims of third parties, whether groundless or not, based on any film submitted to the festival.
6. Ithaca Experimental Film Festival reserves the right to cancel and modify the schedule with any entry or entry fee and can do so at its discretion.
7. Ithaca Experimental Film Festival has a zero-tolerance policy on abuse and harassment. Any communication deemed aggressive, threatening, abusive, or defaming from any team members will result in immediate disqualification.
8. Third parties submitting films on behalf of their clients must include the filmmaker's contact information within the submission. If selected, the festival will contact the filmmaker directly.
9. It is the responsibility of the submitter to provide a link and a password that works. Otherwise, the project will be disqualified and not selected.
Films may not be longer than 20 min.
Premiere status is not required, and all films are qualified to submit. Entry fees are non-refundable.
Students based in Upstate NY are given a discounted fee waiver, but MUST UPLOAD A STUDENT ID TO THEIR PROFILE.
**At present our event is scheduled for mid October however if natural disasters or isolation laws with COVID-19 prevent the running of our event the festival will be postponed or run online only.
All film submissions must be uploaded by the particular discount deadline, ie. for student films entering their film on FilmFreeway before August 1st. Online screeners MUST be uploaded ON or BEFORE the deadline, or the entry will be disqualified and required to submit with the proper submission fees.
Regardless of original format, all competition films screen on DCP for festival presentation. DCPs with subtitles must have the subtitles embedded in the film file. Filmmakers are responsible for providing their own DCP to the festival by uploading the file to our secure server. DCP is the only accepted format. No other formats will be considered.
Selected films will be judged by professional filmmakers and professors based in Upstate NY.
ALL FILMMAKERS will be notified on or around September 15, 2023. This is subject to change, we ask for your patience.