Filem'on is an international filmfestival for children and youth from 2 to 15 years old in 7 different venues in Brussels and Ghent, Belgium, during 11 days in Autumn. Yearly, Filem'on selects about 130 films from all over the world, based on the festival's mission to offer its young audience films that cannot be found in mainstream cinemas. To inspire and connect professionals in the childrenfilm industry, Filem'On organizes an international Exchange conference during the festival.
Filem'On is member of ECFA, CIFEJ and participates at EFA YAA.
Filem'On works with a national and international children's jury, composed of teenagers from divers backgrounds. The jury rewards the winning films with a Bella Brussella price.
The ECFA Award price is distributed by professionals, all members of ECFA Association. There are roughly 20 features and 50 short films in competition.
These are the awards :
- The best of features for Teens (13+) - Filem'On Award
Awarded by a national and international teenage jury
- The best of features for Kids - Filem'On Award
Awarded by a national kids jury
- The best of world cinema and Mundi/CIFEJ Award
Awarded by an international professional jury
- The best of TV series (Shorts)
Awarded by an international professional jury.
- The best of European shorts for kids and teens - ECFA Short Film Award
Awarded by a European professional jury
- The best of European docs for kids and teens - ECFA DOCUMENTARY Award
Awarded by a European professional jury
- The best of Belgian shorts
Awarded by a national professional jury
Guidelines for the selection process
- All submitted must be accessible for a young audience between 2 and 16 years old.
- Films in competition must be from June 2022 until June 2023
- All submitted films must be available for the festival from 25.10 until 05.11.2023.
- All submitted films must have English subtitles.
- To take part in the competition, your film has to have its Belgian premiere.
Exception - For competition categories such as Press Award and Belgian Short Film Award, a première in Brussels is enough.
Notice that entries are free for Belgian student films!
To support the artists in these difficult times, Filem'On offers free submissions for Belgian short films and free early bird submission for European short films.
Screening fees and invitations of the talents
- The filmmaker, producer or distribution company receives no screenings fee from Filem'On for films selected for competition.
- Feature films in competition with a Belgian premiere: One representative (from Europe) will be offered three nights accommodation and free accreditation for all screenings, conferences and masterclasses. Travel costs of European guests are also covered by the organization. Travels from outside Europe will be covered by a max of 350 euro.
- Films are subtitled in two languages : Dutch and French. Translations/subtitles into Dutch and/or French will be delivered in exchange if no European representative of the film exist."
- Short films, other then Belgian, in competition: One representative will be offered 2 nights of accommodation and free accreditation for all screenings. Travel costs are not covered unless extra funding from Embassy is provided.
Some films will be selected within the frame on Filem'On on Tour and screened
Ghent, Brussels, Antwerp, Kortrijk, Leuven...
- Guests who want to attend the festival need to confirm before 15 september 2022
through an online document. For question concerning your stay, guest office is open from 15.10 2021 until 15.11.2021 with contact: email@example.com
- All cost of inbound and outbound physical shipping of the DCP are covered by us, unless it goes to another Festival; in such case we pay one way.
Our fed ex account is used . Digital shipping must be free of charges.
- Short film files need to be sent digitally in high quality H264 or mp4 format via
Our FTP server in two ways, one with clear feed and another with English subtitles.
- Feature films can be admitted in DCP format, as Apple ProRes (422 HQ) file or as a Blu Ray disc. To deliver your film, you can use our FedEx Shipment service or FTP server.
Guidelines for delivery process
- All detailed information about the film has to be available on FilmFreeway.
- A synopsis has to be provided in English: For feature films 400 signs.
For short films 120 signs.
- A high quality still of the film has to be provided: JPEG 300dpi.
- All films need to be provided with English subtitles and a separate srt-timecode file.
- A trailer of the film in mp4 format is a plus.