Founded in 2008, the Houston Comedy Film Festival is a live theatrical screening event on the Film Festival Circuit for international independent comedy films, series and screenplays in the largest city in Texas. The first event was held in 2009 and has been ranked in the FilmFreeway Top 100. This event was founded by author and retired filmmaker Mikel Fair who worked on location in the Film and Television industry from 1999-2015 while based in Houston, Texas. The HCFF screens a program of short comedy films in a "back to back" format. All types of comedy submissions are selected and screened including Funny Music Video, Web Series Episodes, Dark Comedy, Romantic Comedy, Mockumentary, TV Pilots, Commercials, Micro Films, Animated Comedy, Horror Comedy, Stand-up Comedy, Sketch Comedy, and any other type of Comedy that you can think of. The judges are looking for films that generate laughter in a fun, fast paced program at a great venue.
Please note, this is a seasonal event with 4 different screenings this year.
Spring 2022 = April 16, 2022 - Selections are complete
Summer 2022 = August 16, 2022 - Submissions are now open
Fall 2022 = TBA
Winter 2022 = TBA
Our panel of 12 judges will give out 30 different award winners:
01) Best Actor Award Nominations
02) Best Actress Award Nominations
03) Best Animated Comedy Film Award Nominations
04) Best Cinematography Award Nominations
05) Best Comedy Feature Film Screenplay Award Nominations
06) Best Comedy Micro Short Film Award Nominations
07) Best Comedy Film Award Nominations
08) Best Comedy Short Film Screenplay Award Nominations
09) Best Dark Comedy Feature Screenplay Award Nominations
10) Best Dark Comedy Film Award Nominations
11) Best Dark Comedy Short Screenplay Award Nominations
12) Best Director Award Nominations
13) Best Editing Award Nominations
14) Best Ensemble Cast Award Nominations
15) Best International Director Award Nominations
16) Best International Film Award Nominations
17) Best International Feature Screenplay Award Nominations
18) Best International Short Screenplay Award Nominations
19) Best Mockumentary Film Award Nominations
20) Best Romantic Comedy Feature Screenplay Award Nominations
21) Best Romantic Comedy Film Award Nominations
22) Best Romantic Comedy Short Screenplay Award Nominations
23) Best Short Sitcom Screenplay Award Nominations
24) Best Sitcom Screenplay Award Nominations
25) Best Texas Comedy Film Award Nominations
26) Best Texas Feature Screenplay Award Nominations
27) Best Texas Short Screenplay Award Nominations
28) Best Web Series Episode Award Nominations
29) Funniest Music Video Award Nominations
30) Most Original Concept Award Nominations
All films are eligible, regardless if they have distribution or not. All films are eligible even if they have been accepted to other film festivals. All films and videos are eligible, regardless of when or where they were produced. Even if your film or documentary series is publicly available on YouTube or Vimeo, it is still eligible for submission. For exhibition purposes. all films are expected to provide a download link, so that we can compile and project them in HD 1080p. 23.976, 24, 25 or 30 frame rates are accepted for projection. Please do not submit 720p or Standard Definition films to this festival.
The submission fee does not include an event ticket fee if selected. Submission fees and event ticket fees are separate. The cost of attending this event is $25 for the entire day. Every attendee must have a ticket. There are no filmmaker passes.
The judges read and rate scripts for this specific competition only. Submitting to this film festival does not affect the ownership or copyright your screenplay or teleplay.