HAINAN ISLAND INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL (HIIFF) is co-hosted by China Media Group and the People’s Government of Hainan Province, under the guidance of the China Film Administration.
It is held annually in the city of Sanya, China.
HIIFF aims to promote international culture exchanges and collaborations, enhancing innovative development in the film industry, and fostering creativity in filmmaking.
HIIFF is divided into the following sections and a mutable number of special presentations: Competition, Film Panorama, Film Forum, Film Market, Interactive Activities.
The previous editions of the festival have been hugely successful and have led to HIIFF becoming a point of reference in the Asian film festivals circuit.
The films in Competition are eligible for the following Golden Coconut Awards:
Feature-lenght Fiction Films: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Screenwriter, Best Artistic Contribution, Best Children's Film, Special Jury Prize
Documentary Films: Best Documentary Film
Short Films: Best Short Film
In order to apply for the Competition Section of the 5th Hainan Island International Film Festival (hereinafter referred to as HIIFF or
The Festival), the submissions must comply with the following regulations.
Adhering to the concept of ‘year-round screening, island-wide screening, film viewing for all people, and the whole industry chain development model’ the 5th Hainan Island International Film Festival aims to present a brilliant business card and create a great opportunity to focus on Hainan Island's features and showcase Chinese culture.
The 5th HIIFF will be held in Sanya, Hainan, China from 16th to 22nd December 2023.
1. The Competition Section includes feature-length fiction films, documentary films and short films.
2. The Festival will award the following prizes in accordance with the decision of the International Jury:
-For Feature-length Fiction Films: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Screenwriter, Best Artistic Contribution,
Best Children's Film, Special Jury Prize.
Best Artistic Contribution shall honor persons contributing to the artistic merit of a film, categories include but are not limited to costume, make-up, cinematography, special effects, sound, etc. Best Children's Film shall honor the films about the children.
-For Documentary Films: Best Documentary Film
-For Short Films: Best Short Film
3. Juries will be invited by HIIFF. Persons associated with the production or distribution of films in competition may not serve as jurors.
4. Nominated films shall receive one certificate per film. The prize amount is subject to the tax regulations of the People’s Republic of China.
5. In the event that more than one winner is Awarded in a single category, the prize amount will be divided proportionately.
1.Only films that meet the following conditions are eligible for selection:
- Feature-length fiction films and documentary films must be more than 70 minutes long.
- Short films should have a minimum duration of 12 minutes.
- Films made after 15th August, 2022 that have not been entered in any version of this competition.
- Feature-length fiction films and documentary films: should the film be selected it must be available in DCP (Digital Cinema Package) which is the standard for commercial cinema screenings.
1.Films submitting to the competition must register on the festival's official website within the specified time from the opening of the registration window, filling in the mandatory information of the films submitted to the competition one by one and providing a link to download the demo video.
2.Please complete the entry form in its entirety; any errors or omissions are the responsibility of the entrant. The festival reserves the right to disqualify any film that does not complete the form completely and accurately.
3. In order to be eligible for the selection, the submitters must, no later than 30th October 2023, 24:00 (UTC+8)
-Submit the film on the Festival's website http://www.hiiff.net/ or on FilmFreeway https://filmfreeway.com/HIIFF or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Mobile: +86 131 1615 1097
The festival only accepts online demo video download links that match the following requirements:
- Video files are limited to MOV or MP4 format with a minimum resolution of 1920*1080;
- The file size does not exceed 5GB;
- Watermark can be added;
- Films in any language other than English must be provided with English subtitles;
- The submitted version of the dailies must be the same as the actual film. The festival reserves the right to exclude any film whose dailies differ from the actual film.
4. Entries submitted after the closing date for entries will not be eligible to participate in the competition and will not be eligible for withdrawal.
5. By submitting a film to the competition, the entrant certifies that he/she has obtained the consent of the copyright owner, creator, or other authorized representative of the film and has read, understood, and agreed to the terms and conditions. Hainan Island International Film Festival will not be responsible for any disputes arising from any violation of these terms and conditions.
6. The Festival has the right to reject any film that does not meet all or part of the above requirements, as well as any film that does not meet China’s laws or related cultural policies.
7.Selected films shall authorize the Festival to use the entry form information and promotional materials for the Festival’s promotion purpose, including, but not limited to the brochure, website, closing ceremony and press.
8. Hainan Island International Film Festival reserves the right to final interpretation of the terms and conditions of these articles and any matters not covered herein.
1. Participation in the Festival automatically entails observance of the present Regulations.
2. The Submitters (including but not limited to producers, distributors, sales or other parties) who submit films to the Festival must guarantee that they are authorized by the production companies and have already received consent from the third parties involved in the film production.
* The Festival reserves the right of final interpretation.