Dome Fest West is an immersive dome film festival and conference taking place on October 6-9, 2022. This unique event will bring together the Immersive Dome Community with Hollywood's up-and-coming content creators! What better way to share immersive experiences than within the dome space. Come and see the world's best dome media that exists today!
Dome Fest West will include Dome film screenings, technology presentations, industry panels, exclusive parties, and interactive workshops. Over 4 exciting days, immersive filmmakers from across the globe will have a chance to watch the most cutting-edge experiences and programs, learn from the best producers in the Entertainment Industry, and ultimately take immersive dome content to another level.
New for 2022, Dome Fest West is accepting entries for Best Live Experience! Entries may include theatrical shows, VJ/DJ performances, audience interactive productions, and more. Submit your live dome experience on a video that best represents the full immersive experience and submit it to the Best Live Experience category. One or more Live Experience entrants may be selected to perform at Dome Fest West!
It’s clear that Dome content isn't just for planetariums or science centers anymore! As more Dome venues come online in 2022, audiences will have a new way to watch world-class immersive content -- all without requiring a VR headset. Surround yourself with a familiar format in a brand new way, and be amazed at the technology that's helped bring new stories to life.
The Dome Fest West Film Festival recognizes filmmaking achievement through the presentation of juried and balloted awards, including:
- Best Artistic Feature Film
- Best Artistic Short Film
- Best Musical Feature Film
- Best Musical Short Film
- Best Educational Film
- Best Science Film
- Best Environmental Film
- Best Live Experience
- Best Children's Film
- Best Narrative Film
- Juror's Choice Award
- Audience Choice Award
- Sphere of Light Award
1. Submission Formats: Online screeners must be embedded in each film's FilmFreeway submission profile. DVD submissions, download links, or stand-alone links will not be accepted.
Only completed entry packets will be processed and considered for festival presentation. A complete entry packet includes:
-- An online screener (fulldome, equirectangular or planar format on Vimeo or YouTube) embedded in your FilmFreeway submission. Screeners for Live Experiences should be formatted to best represent the dome performance and may include close-up shots with wide-angle cutaways, fulldome, and/or equirectangular formats. Passwords are encouraged.
-- Completed submission online form (Dome Fest West is not responsible for incorrect wording in publications or on awards if the entry form is incorrect.)
-- Submission fee (paid through FilmFreeway)
-- Digital Press kit (2 Hi-Resolution JPEG stills from the film. No behind scenes stills please.)
-- Brief film synopsis
2. Each entry must be a separate submission. If you select more than one film category for your film you must pay the full entry fee for each category.
3. Student films must include a copy of a current student ID or proof of current enrollment. Copies of student ids can be uploaded to FilmFreeway or e-mailed to students@DomeFestWest.com.
4. Complete submission packets must be completed by the deadline dates below.
-- Super Early Deadline - March 25, 2022
-- Regular Deadline - June 10, 2022
-- Late Deadline - July 1, 2022
-- Last Call Deadline - July 22, 2022
5. Works in progress are not encouraged. Submissions will be juried in the state they are received.
6. To qualify for the 2022 Dome Fest West submissions for the Feature Dome Film, Short Dome Film, and Student Dome Film categories must have been completed after January 1, 2020. Submissions for the Live Dome Experience category must have been completed after January 1, 2012.
7. Submissions that have screened at previous Dome Fest West events are ineligible to be programmed again. That includes projects that have been completed after the January 1, 2021 qualifying deadline.
8. All official selection films selected to be in competition for the 2022 festival will not be eligible to receive screening fees.
9. All submissions to Dome Fest West will also be submitted to authorized Dome Fest West partner Dome festivals that may occur globally including the Best of Earth awards and associated promotions. Partner festivals are chosen based on past performance and industry acceptance and may include Fulldome Festival (Jena, Germany), Dome Under Festival (Melbourne, Australia), Fulldome UK (Plymouth, UK) and other reputable dome festivals. Submissions that screen at these events as part of the 2022 festival will not be eligible to receive screening fees.
10. By submitting your movie, you authorize Dome Fest West to use, distribute and share film segments, the film poster, trailer, synopsis, and stills in our social media and further promotional events tied directly to the festival and authorized partner festivals.
11. Official selection filmmakers will be required to provide one digital file of their official selection film or video of their live dome experience for festival screenings. Digital domemaster files must be 4k x 4k H.264 or H.265 file formats with fisheye/fulldome mapping (details to be provided upon selection).
12. If your film is selected as an official submission the cost of shipping hard copies of festival screeners to the Festival must be paid by the entrant. Collect or COD shipments will not be accepted. Live experience entrants may also be selected to perform at Dome Fest West by special invitation.
13. All international entries must be sent with all transportation charges, duties, and taxes prepaid by the shipper. Fees charged to Dome Fest West will be refused. Be sure to include the proper customs documentation required by your shipping service.
14. Hard copies of official selection screeners will NOT be returned unless the submission filmmaker provides a self-addressed stamped envelope. No exceptions.
15. Entrant confirms and warrants required legal authority to submit the entry into the Festival and to use all music, images, and content in the entry. Entrant will allow usage of clips from the entry for promotional use on television, radio, in print, and at live Festival events.
16. By submitting the filmmaker confirms that they are duly authorized to submit the film to Dome Fest West without the consent of any third party (or, if the consent of other parties is required, all of them are also signing this Agreement).
17. By submitting the filmmaker confirms and warrants required legal authority to submit the entry into the Festival. The film does not violate any copyright, trademark, or other intellectual property rights of any person or entity. Releases for music, images, content, and talent must be obtained by the filmmaker. Dome Fest West is not liable for copyright infringement or unauthorized use.