Cinéfest Sudbury’s programming initiatives continue to fulfill and redefine the organization’s mandate, objectives and vision, which are built upon the Festival’s ability to attract audiences for the best in Canadian and international cinema. Cinéfest Sudbury is continually searching for films that challenge and inspire the Festival’s audience and is constantly working to introduce up-and-coming film artists to receptive and critical film enthusiasts. Programming highlights from the 2018 edition of the Festival included The Grizzlies, What They Had, The Sisters Brothers, Sharkwater: Extinction, Through Black Spruce, Le grand bain, and Dogman. In 2018, Cinéfest screened 119 films to an audience that exceeded 34,000.
Northern Ontario boasts a booming film industry that has attracted major film and television productions in recent years and Cinéfest has been thrilled to lead promotion of the efforts of its region’s crew and industry stakeholders. These promotional efforts extend to informing Canadian and international filmmakers about the incentives and infrastructure available for their future production efforts. New resources (full service film studios) and infrastructure (equipment houses), along with training opportunities and tax credits are making Northern Ontario an enticing shooting location for many producers. Recent films that have been shot in Northern Ontario include Remember (Atom Egoyan), Mean Dreams (Nathan Morlando), Born to Be Blue (Robert Budreau), Two Lovers and a Bear (Kim Nguyen), and Through Black Spruce (Don McKellar).
For over 30 years, Cinéfest Sudbury has presented the most exciting independent cinema from around the world to local and visiting audiences. Through partnership with the Film Circuit, an initiative that was developed by Cinéfest and is now housed by the Toronto International Film Festival Group, Cinéfest Sudbury provides filmmakers with a chance to reach a wider audience, as Film Circuit programmers attend Cinéfest to consider Festival selections and submissions to screen in their home community.
Each film submission will be pre-screened by Cinéfest Sudbury International Film Festival's screening committee to determine which films will be screened during the festival. Not all submissions will be programmed. The Festival presentation format is composite DCP (jpeg200mxf) only.
SUBMISSION FORMATS: For programming consideration, Cinéfest Sudbury accepts video links only.
ELIGIBILITY AND SELECTION:
1. Films are selected on the basis of achievement in form and content.
2. Films must have been completed in 2018 or 2019.
3. Works that have been previously submitted, but not programmed, are permitted to re-submit.
4. For submission purposes, films may be works-in-progress.
5. Submissions that have been made available widely to public over the; internet (YouTube, iTunes, Vimeo, etc), or television, or that have screened publicly within a 100 kilometer radius of the City of Greater Sudbury are not eligible. Filmmakers are encouraged to contact the festival if they are unsure of this eligibility rule applied to them.
6. The Festival presentation format is DCP (jpeg2000mxf).
7. All selected films must be made available to screen by September 1st, 2019.
8. Films must be in original language with English subtitles (if necessary).
9. Available press materials must be shipped to Cinéfest Sudbury upon notification of selection.
10. If the film was shot in part or in whole in Northern Ontario, and/or if a member of the cast and/or crew resides or is from Northern Ontario, please also provide information relating to the location and duration of the shoot, and/or the name of the person residing in or from Northern Ontario, as well as their role within the production.
SCHEDULING: Upon acceptance into the Festival, the scheduling of screening dates, times, and locations is the sole responsibility of Cinéfest Sudbury.
PRINT LIABILITY: In the instance of a lost or damaged DCP, Cinéfest Sudbury will compensate only for the cost of creating a new DCP. Cinéfest Sudbury assumes responsibility for the print from the time of delivery to the time at which a print is rendered to a shipping agent.
RELEASE: Cinéfest Sudbury is hereby granted the right to utilize an excerpt from any film submitted and accepted for exhibition at the Festival for promotional purposes.
The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening, and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations.
The undersigned shall indemnify and hold harmless Cinéfest Sudbury from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees, and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.