*COVID-19 Update* October 2021. Because of the changes in our street festival we will not be hosting the film festival this year. We hope to be in full force for the 2022 festival but we are taking it day by day. Look for updates next spring for the 2022 dates.The spirit of Day of the Dead is about community, and whether we are in person or together virtually, we want to make the most of coming together and celebrating each other and our loved ones who are no longer with us. Thank you for all of the support through the past few years.
We started Cine de los Muertos as part of the Florida Day of the Dead Celebration. Our goal is to showcase films and videos that celebrate the ideology of Dia de los Muertos / Day of the Dead.
Dia de los Muertos / Day of the Dead is a Mexican holiday to celebrate loved ones who have died. Our ancestors believed that on every Day of the Dead, the gateway between Mictlan, the ancient Aztec Land of the Dead, and our world opens so we may celebrate with our lost loved ones for one special time of year. The prayers and rituals during Day of the Dead help our loved ones during their spiritual journeys. It is a day of memorial for the dead, but a day of joy and love that celebrates the lives of our ancestors.
Film themes should center around the cultures and traditions of the Dia de los Muertos / Day of the Dead holiday. The interpretation of the theme can be literal, including aspects of the holiday and rituals like the memorial for a loved one, building of ofrendas, or documenting a festival. Themes can also be conceptual. Themes may include (but are not limited to); death, grief, loss, memorial, heritage, family traditions, death rituals, afterlife/soul, While Dia de los Muertos / Day of the Dead is traditionally a latino holiday, all people deal with death and loss, and all people from all cultures are encouraged to submit their own interpretations related to the Day of the Dead holiday.
*Please note this is a celebration of life and memory - horror films will not be considered. If you are unsure of content appropriateness, you can send a brief description of your film to firstname.lastname@example.org to determine if your film is suitable for this showcase.
This festival is managed by Florida Day of the Dead, Inc; Ecke Studios, Inc; and Puppet Network, Inc
All entrants agree to adhere to the following rules, terms, and conditions:
1) Duration: All films must be 20 minutes or under. No exceptions. Total running time includes all opening and closing end credits.
2) Language: All languages are accepted. English subtitles are required for submissions with languages other than English.
3) Only submissions through FilmFreeway will be accepted. No DVD/BD screeners. All selected films must be available for a high quality digital download.
4) All films and videos must be completed on or after January 1, 2016.
5) Refunds will not be issued under any circumstances.
1) For films to qualify, the submission must relate to the theme of the day of the dead. The panel of judges will determine appropriateness all decisions are final.
2) You must have exclusive rights to your film as well as any pertinent releases, including but not limited to actors images, location image, trademarked or copyrighted image and music.
3) By submitting your film, you agree to allow Florida Day of the Dead Celebration to exhibit your film in venues during its 2019 festival. You further agree to allow usage of clips from the film and all related publicity material submitted for promotional use on television, radio, in print, web and at live festival events.
4) You authorize the use, without additional compensation, of your name, likeness, and/or voice and photograph for promotion and/or advertising purposes in any manner and in any medium now known or developed in the future throughout the world as Florida Day of the dead Celebration deems appropriate.
1)All notifications will be emailed by October 19th