CineYouth is the Chicago International Film Festival’s yearly film festival that showcases short films made by filmmakers 22 years old and younger from around the world. CineYouth encourages the talent of young filmmakers and supports diverse youth voices by providing opportunities to have their work showcased, to learn about filmmaking from industry experts, and network with their peers. CineYouth 2023 will offer free film screenings, filmmaking workshops, live Q&A’s, and more!
Select award-winning CineYouth films will be screened at the 59th Chicago International Film Festival at the CineYouth "Best of the Fest" screening (October 2023).
As a step towards a more inclusive and accessible festival that addresses the systemic inequity and underrepresentation in film, CineYouth is offering a 50% discount to all films submitted by BIPOC filmmakers, as well as filmmakers with disabilities and/or films featuring performers with disabilities using the following codes:
Additional discount and waiver requests are considered by CineYouth on a case-by-case basis. To make a request, please fill out this short form: https://biturl.top/VbUVJv
One winning film in each category, which include Drama, Experimental, Animation, Chicago-made films, Horror and more! Select award winners will be screened as part of the "Best of the Fest" at the 59th Chicago International Film Festival.
CineYouth is the Chicago International Film Festival's yearly film festival that showcases short films made by filmmakers 22 years old and younger from around the world. CineYouth encourages the talent of young filmmakers and supports diverse youth voices by providing opportunities to have their work showcased, to learn about filmmaking from industry experts, and network with peers.
*Please only submit to one category*
Entries accepted December 5th, 2022 through March 6th, 2023
- The film's director(s) must have been 22 years old or younger at the time of the film's completion. (Can currently be 23 if the film was finished while 22.)
- All films must be in English or subtitled in English.
- All music and other copyrighted material used must be properly licensed.
- The film’s total running time must be 15 minutes or less, including credits.
- Past submissions to CineYouth may not be resubmitted.
- The filmmaker’s age at the time of the film’s completion must be provided in the synopsis.
- Please include your age at time of film completion in the Synopsis.
- Multiple films by an individual filmmaker or group may be submitted, but a completed FilmFreeway submission must accompany EACH entry.
- Notifications of programming decisions are sent via email in March 2023.
- If your film is selected, you will be asked to provide an electronic film still (not poster image) that is a minimum 300dpi, 4×6 and high quality.