CineYouth is the Chicago International Film Festival’s yearly film festival that showcases short films made by filmmakers 22 years old and younger from around the world. CineYouth encourages the talent of young filmmakers and supports diverse youth voices by providing opportunities to have their work showcased, to learn about filmmaking from industry experts, and network with their peers. CineYouth 2022 will offer free film screenings, filmmaking workshops, live Q&A’s, and more!
Select award-winning CineYouth films will be screened at the 58th Chicago International Film Festival at the CineYouth "Best of the Fest" screening (October 2022).
As a step towards a more inclusive and accessible festival that addresses the systemic inequity and underrepresentation in film, CineYouth is offering a 50% discount to all films submitted by BIPOC filmmakers, as well as filmmakers with disabilities and/or films featuring performers with disabilities using the following codes:
Additional discount and waiver requests are considered by CineYouth on a case-by-case basis. To make a request, please fill out this short form: https://biturl.top/VbUVJv
One winning film in each category, which include Drama, Women Filmmakers, LGBTQ+, Chicago-made films, Horror and more! Select award winners will be screened as part of the "Best of the Fest" at the 58th Chicago International Film Festival.
CineYouth is the Chicago International Film Festival's yearly film festival that showcases short films made by filmmakers 22 years old and younger from around the world. CineYouth encourages the talent of young filmmakers and supports diverse youth voices by providing opportunities to have their work showcased, to learn about filmmaking from industry experts, and network with peers.
*Please only submit to one category*
Entries accepted December 15th, 2021 through March 4th, 2022
- The film's director(s) must have been 22 years old or younger at the time of the film's completion. (Can currently be 23 if the film was finished while 22.)
- All films must be in English or subtitled in English
- All music and other copyrighted material used must be properly licensed
- The length of all submissions must be 15 minutes or less, including
- Past submissions to CineYouth may not be resubmitted
- You must provide your age at the time of film completion in the synopsis.
- Please include your age at time of film completion in the Synopsis.
- You may submit as many films as you like, but a completed entry
form/FilmFreeway submission must accompany EACH entry.
- Programming decisions are sent via email in March, 2022.
- Because of the high volume of submissions, we are unable to provide feedback on why your film was/was not selected.
- If your film is accepted, you will be asked to provide an electronic film still (not poster image) that is a minimum 300dpi, 4×6 and high quality.