Carnival of Darkness: The Haunted Pamlico Film Festival was founded by independent horror filmmakers for independent horror filmmakers and their fans. This year our special drive-in event runs on Oct. 8, 2020, at Raised in a Barn Farm, 2100 N.C. Highway 33, Chocowinity, N.C. Admission for the general public is $10 per ticket, payable at the gate, though we encourage advance ticket purchases on FilmFreeway. We will accept exact change only during on-site ticket sales. We're selling tickets on a per-vehicle basis, so each ticket allows entry to everyone in your vehicle. The festival organizers wish to honor the most artful short horror films and the people who make them. Our festival is sponsored by Haunted Pamlico/Alternative Stage, a developing nonprofit based in Washington, N.C.; Nights of Fright, a haunted attraction in Chocowinity; and Raised in a Barn Farm, the property on which Nights of Fright is located. Other sponsors include Joy Tyson; LLS Accounting Solutions, LLC; and Shoot Me Jane Photography. The Haunted Pamlico team behind this event has made dozens of short films, some of which have enjoyed viral success online and have been featured at festivals from Canada to North Carolina. Our panel of judges includes artists with skills in sound design, special effects, cinematography, screenwriting, film and stage direction and many more areas of interest. For more information, email email@example.com or see our festival page at hauntedpamlico.com. Be sure to look for us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
• Monument Award
• Most Murderous Feature-Length
• Bloodiest Good Short
• Best Kill
• Best Effects
• N.C. Horror
• The Haunted Attraction Award
Awards will be presented in the form of certificates, one per filmmaking team. The makers of winning entries, finalist films and official selections will be granted permission to include our 2020 festival logo on promotional materials for their selected films.
1. All entries will be submitted via FilmFreeway.com. DVDs or films in formats other than those accepted by FilmFreeway will not be considered. You must provide a digital copy of your film poster for use in publicity for the festival.
2. We will accept submissions from midnight May 1 until midnight Aug. 1.
3. Awards will be publicly announced during the main festival in October 2020 at Raised in a Barn Farm in Chocowinity, N.C. Winners will be informed of their awards via email from Sept. 1, 2020 through Sept. 6, 2020. Our email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Each category will have two finalists, and we will announce these finalists in advance. You may submit films in more than one applicable category, but be advised there is a fee for each submission beyond the early bird period of May 1 through May 7.
4. While filmmakers whose work receives finalist or featured-selection status may publicize that fact prior to the festival, information about winning entries is embargoed until the announcement is made during the awards ceremony on the day of the festival. We will inform winning filmmakers and those whose work achieves featured-selection status during the first week of September to allow time for travel plans. Winning filmmakers may inform cast, crew, friends and family about their award(s), but public announcements of the awards are prohibited before the awards ceremony. Any advance public announcement of awards could result in disqualification. After the festival, we will post news about the winning entries on our website and social-media platforms. Winners may publicize their awards immediately after the ceremony. You needn't be present during the ceremony to receive your award. Please provide us with your email address, phone number and mailing address through FilmFreeway and/or via email, email@example.com.
5. By submitting your film to us, you give us the right to screen your film during the festival at Raised in a Barn Farm in Chocowinity, N.C. If your film is named a finalist and/or an official selection of the festival, but does not receive an award, it will be shown during the festival barring any unforeseen acts of God, time constraints or technical difficulties. By submitting your film to this festival, you grant us permission to show your film during regular festival hours and/or as part of the pre-show entertainment for Nights of Fright. In either case, your film has the potential to reach hundreds of people through this event. We will notify filmmakers of the times during which we expect their selected films to run. This notification will go out with private emails regarding awards and/or featured-selection status.
6. We only accept submissions from filmmakers, individuals or production companies holding full legal rights to their work and all of its aspects, including music, stock footage or other elements. We do not accept responsibility for copyright violations that may arise from the fraudulent submission of work to which the entrant doesn't hold the rights.
7. We accept independent films only.
8. We won't consider films made more than three years prior to the beginning of the submission period, May 1, 2020.
9. Films previously screened online or at other venues are eligible for submission, but we encourage submissions from filmmakers who wish to premiere their work during our festival.
10. We discourage submission of films scheduled for public screening in Pitt, Hyde, Martin, Craven, Beaufort or Washington counties in North Carolina during October 2020. The discovery of scheduled screenings at venues in any of these counties during the month of October 2020 may be grounds for disqualification.
11. Designation of your film as a featured selection doesn't guarantee award status. Not all entries will be selected for screening. Only official selections will be screened during the festival.
12. Filmmakers whose work is chosen for featured or award-winning status are entitled to two free tickets. All other attendees will be charged $10 per ticket. We will reserve your two tickets, and will release them to you at the door. To receive your reserved tickets, you or someone you have designated to represent you must provide identification in the form of a drivers license or other generally accepted ID. Please provide us with the names of your designated attendees in advance by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
13. Judging will be conducted by a panel selected by the organizers. Films the judges had a hand in creating will not be featured in competition. The judges will not be publicly identified.