The Canadian Film Fest supports and showcases Canadian independent films and cultivates emerging filmmaking talent. At CFF, film-loving audiences enjoy a diverse selection of 100% Canadian film programming and, filmmakers participate in a robust industry series that includes professional development seminars and networking opportunities.
In 2023, the Canadian Film Fest is proud to partner again with Super Channel and offer hybrid screenings and events.
All submitting filmmakers must have the rights and ability to broadcast their film both on Super Channel and in-person, should your film be invited to screen at Canadian Film Fest. Films will be shown on Super Channel (behind a paid subscriber wall) only on the the day of their in-person screening.
The Canadian Film Fest is a qualifying festival by the Academy's Canadian Screen Awards.
Questions? Please contact us before submitting.
The Canadian Film Fest awards:
Reel Canadian Indie Award sponsored by William F. White International
ReTake Furniture Rental Best Set Design
DGC Ontario Best Director
Canadian Film Fest Best Producer
People's Pick for Best Flick
WHAT IS THE CANADIAN FILM FEST LOOKING FOR?
- Films by Canadians
- CFF programs films of all genres. Tell us a great story!
- Must be a Toronto premiere (if your film is available online or screened with another Toronto festival, your film is ineligible except for BIPOC filmmakers).
- The CFF is waiving the Toronto premiere status for BIPOC filmmakers (Director and Producers). If a short or feature has screened at a Toronto festival over the past two (2) years, it is now eligible for CFF.
WHAT IS THE CANADIAN FILM FEST NOT LOOKING FOR?
- Films from non-Canadian directors
- Films that are available online. Even if it stars Ryan Reynolds. We'll watch it, but we can't program it.
ENTRY DETAILS AND FEES:
- Regular deadline: $25 short films, $45 feature films
- Extended deadline: $35 short films, $55 feature films
- The CFF does not grant waivers except to Canadian BIPOC filmmakers and high school students. To claim a waiver fee, email: email@example.com
- Entry fees are non-refundable
RULES AND REGULATIONS:
- Films must be a Toronto premiere (note: exception for BIPOC filmmakers). Toronto screenings, whether private or at school, will disqualify your film. The CFF is waiving the Toronto premiere status for BIPOC filmmakers. If a film has screened in Toronto over the past two (2) years, it will be eligible for the Canadian Film Fest.
- Short films must not exceed 25 minutes in length, including credits.
- Feature films must be at a minimum of 70 minutes in length.
- All non-English language films must have English subtitles.
- Films must be available in DCP format for in-person screenings.
- All invited films will receive a list of deliverables for broadcast and theatrically.
- Submissions may not be withdrawn from the CFF once invited to screen and confirmed, except at the sole discretion of the Festival.
- All selected films may be excerpted for publicity purposes.
- A separate entry form and an additional entry fee are required for each film submitted.
- Filmmakers must have the rights and ability to screen their films on Super Channel during the festival dates.
- The Canadian Film Fest pays screening fees for short and feature films.