SUBMISSIONS OPEN OCTOBER 12, 2021
The Canadian Film Fest is dedicated to supporting Canadian independent films and cultivating emerging and established filmmaking talent. Film-loving audiences come to enjoy a diverse selection of 100% Canadian film screenings (feature & shorts), and filmmakers flock to the CFF’s various industry events to take advantage of essential networking and learning opportunities.
Held annually in downtown Toronto the CFF showcases short and feature films and also includes opening and closing galas, an amazing Industry Series, parties and other networking opportunities.
Canadian Film Fest was the first festival to transition to virtual experience in 2020. For the 2021 festival, the format will be a hybrid of virtual and in-person screenings. All government protocols to be strictly observed.
Filmmakers may be offered a broadcast deal should their film be invited to screen at the Canadian Film Fest.
The CFF is a qualifying festival by the Academy of Canadian Cinema & Television.
The Canadian Film Fest offers awards for:
People's Pick for Best Flick
Reel Canadian Indie Award sponsored by William F. White International
And other jury prizes
CFF Screenwriting Contest (cash & development prize to first place)
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
- FILMS BY CANADIANS
- For 2021, the Canadian Film Fest is waiving the Toronto premiere status for BIPOC filmmakers (Directors & Producers). If a film (short or feature) has screened at a Toronto festival in the past two years, it will now be eligible for the CFF.
- 100% of all films we show are TORONTO PREMIERES (so no problem if you've screened elsewhere in Canada or internationally)
- If you've already screened in Toronto or have a film is available online, we will not show your movie, even if it stars that delightful Ryan Reynolds
- We screen and are looking for ALL GENRES as long as there is a narrative, a story to follow. We're looking for great stories!
- $25 for shorts and $45 for features for regular deadline
- $35 for shorts and $55 for features for extended deadline
- Entry fees are non refundable
- We charge in AMERICAN DOLLARS only because that is what FilmFreeway is set up for. FilmFreeway is a Canadian company. WE DON'T UNDERSTAND either so please don't write us grumpy emails.
- We do not give waivers except to high school students. Everyone pays and all our programming is done from our submissions
RULES AND REGULATIONS
1. Films must be Toronto premieres. Toronto screenings whether private or at school will disqualify your film. In 2021, the CFF is waiving the Toronto premiere status for BIPOC filmmakers. If a film has screened in Toronto in the past two years, it will be eligible for the 2021 Canadian Film Fest.
2. Short films must not exceed 25 minutes in length— including credits.
3. Feature films must be at least 70 minutes in length.
4. All non-English language films must have English subtitles.
5. Films must be available for Festival screening in DCP format. Should you be chosen you'll receive this info in detail.
6. Submissions may not be withdrawn from the Festival once they have been accepted and you have confirmed, except at the sole discretion of the Festival.
7. All selected films may be excerpted for publicity purposes.
8. A separate entry form and additional entry fee must be submitted for each film.
9. If your film is invited to screen at the Canadian Film Fest, filmmakers may be offered a broadcast offer.