Anomaly is a scrappy-yet-lovable genre film festival straight from the birthplace of film, celebrating the latest and best independent genre movies from around the world!
Join us November 8-12, 2023 at The Little Theatre in downtown Rochester, for our fifth annual festival celebrating the best in modern independent horror, science fiction, fantasy, action, dark comedy, and truly indescribable films -- shorts and features -- as well as discussions and events!
Run by a crew of enthusiastic, film-obsessed weirdos, Anomaly was founded to keep alive the spirit of genre movies, and to celebrate and foster an exciting and unique filmgoing experience for all who attend our film screenings throughout the year, and our annual November festival. Anomaly is dedicated to discovering and showcasing the most compelling movies from all over the world and the diverse filmmakers who create them.
In past festivals, Anomaly has hosted the U.S. Premieres of both Kyle Edward Ball's "Skinamarink" and the international holiday-horror anthology "Deathcember"; regional premieres of Jane Schoenbrun's "We're All Going to the World's Fair," Michelle Garza Cervera's "Huesera: The Bone Woman," Martika Ramirez Escobar's "Leonor Will Never Die," and many more. Films that have won our Audience Awards have hailed from India, the UK, the Netherlands, Germany, Japan, the United States, and beyond!
- Best Feature
- Best Short
- Preview screening format is an online screener ONLY - No DVD screeners.
- Films with a running time of 30 minutes and under qualify as shorts. In an effort to program more films, we prioritize shorts with a running time of 15 minutes or less.
- If submitting more than one film, a separate completed entry is required for each title.
- Submission fees are not refundable.
- A screening committee determines which films shall be exhibited; submissions are not guaranteed to be shown. All decisions of the committee are final.
- Foreign-language films are welcome and encouraged to apply, but must include English subtitles. (Subtitles must be "burned-in" as part of the on-screen image, not a separate SRT file.)
- Selected films must be made available as a downloadable Quicktime file. DCP plus a Quicktime backup is preferred.
- Anomaly reserves the right to use film stills, posters, and/or excerpts of accepted films for promotional purposes.
- Films are scheduled at the discretion of Anomaly, which retains the right to make changes to the published schedule at any time and for any reason.
LEGAL / RIGHTS / CLEARANCES
It is the responsibility of the filmmaker to clear all rights before your film screens at the festival. By submitting a film, the filmmaker acknowledges that they have secured all applicable licenses and waivers of copyrights, moral rights, trademarks and any intellectual property rights.
The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations.
The submitter shall indemnify and hold harmless Anomaly - The Rochester Genre Film Festival from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages and expenses (including but not limited to attorney's fees and costs of the court) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos entered.