In its fifth year, Animal Film Festival (AFF) is the only global fest of its kind, seeking specifically animal-themed films in every category. AFF is held at a beautiful and state of the art theater in the heart of the Sierra Nevada foothills in Grass Valley, California. AFF kicks off with an invitation only party the night before the fest - serving delicious catered vegan food and beverages. Filmmakers are provided with free lodging (as available) and VIP treatment throughout the fest. Audience discussion follows films where the filmmakers are present. Each filmmaker receives a gift bag loaded with animal friendly products. Best of all, the films screened at Animal Film Festival go far in changing people's minds and treatment of animals. This is a win win for our audience and animals.
AFF seeks films that bring awareness about the realities animals face in the world today. The stories showcased in documentary, scripted, feature and short films are engaging, funny, edgy, beautiful and inspirational. The festival seeks to explore topics about companion animals, wildlife, animals used in entertainment, farming, and laboratories. We are looking for films that highlight ways our society celebrates our relationships with non humans, as well as films showing the ways we mistreat them. Animal Film Festival aims to not only entertain audiences but to propel people into action to change their own lives as well as the animals affected. AFF is presented by the non-profit animal advocacy organization Center for Animal Protection & Education (CAPE), founded in 1992.
A total of $10,000 in awards will be presented to filmmakers in the categories of Feature, Short, Student and Teen. Winning filmmakers will also receive a framed certificate listing the filmmaker(s) and the title of their film/category. Each filmmaker also receives a gift bag filled with animal-friendly products.
TARSHIS AWARDS FOR FILMS :30 - :90 SECONDS IN LENGTH
Prizes may range from $1000 - $10,000. Visit the Tarshis Award page at www.animalfilmfestival.org to learn about this wonderful opportunity for all filmmakers. Submit your film(s) using the FilmFreeway portal located in the right-hand column.
* All submitted films must be accompanied by a paragraph describing how the film connects the audience to animals or an issue about animals.
• Feature films are more than fifty five (55) minutes. We select ONLY one to two features AT THE MOST.
• Short films must be fifty five (55) minutes or less, including all credits. WE STRONGLY ENCOURAGE filmmakers to enter their short films.
• If the film is in a language other than English, it must be subtitled or dubbed in English.
* All entries must be available for screening during the festival, which will be February 24, 2018.
* We welcome and celebrate short films. We only screen at the most two full-length features.
* All entries must conform to the rating standards of PG-13 or lower.
* You may submit as many entries as you like. Each entry requires its own entry fee. AFF does not pay screening fees for films.
* Finalists will be selected based on excellence in conformity to content guidelines (e.g., the PG-13 rating limit), judging criteria, and festival philosophy.
* We accept online screeners only. If you are chosen to show at the festival you may send a full quality .mov file on a DVD or via the internet no later than 3 weeks prior to the festival screening.
* We will NOT return either preview or final exhibition materials, so plan accordingly.
* All awards are based on the overall merit of the entry. Decisions by the judges are final.
* Finalists will be notified before or by February 14, 2018, if their entry will be screened at the 2018 AFF and considered with the other finalists for the top awards.
* All finalists will have their entries screened at the 2018 AFF, and will be featured in the festival program.
* Entrant must hold all copyrights or have proof of permission for all content used in their film(s).
* AFF Channel on ROKU - Please be advised that all directors of selected films will be offered a non-exclusive licensing agreement for the inclusion of their film on the AFF Channel on ROKU.
* AFF on Tour - All films selected for the AFF will be in consideration to be screened during AFF on Tour events. Filmmmakers will be advised if their films are selected for the on tour events.