The 2022 American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase will be the fourteenth juried Competition for The American Pavilion. Since 1989, The American Pavilion has offered unparalleled experiences in Cannes to film students and emerging filmmakers from around the world. The Emerging Filmmaker Showcase provides an opportunity for filmmakers to have their works seen by Cannes Festival and Film Market attendees. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2020 and 2021 Finalist Films will screen during the 2022 Emerging Filmmaker Showcase, and we will virtually showcase each film category from September to January leading up to the 2022 official selection showcase.
We accept short films and documentaries that are 25 minutes or less. 25 to 35 short films and documentaries from around the world are chosen for competition. A panel of industry judges selects winners in each category (Emerging Filmmaker Showcase, Emerging Student Showcase, LGBTQ Showcase and High School Films Showcase). For the 2021-2022 season, the official selections will be screened in a final competition in May at The American Pavilion during the 2022 Cannes Film Festival. Awards are given in Narrative, Documentary, High School and LGBTQ categories.
Certificate and prizes from various prize award sponsors. We have six jury award categories:
- Best Emerging Filmmaker Short Film
- Best Emerging Filmmaker Short Documentary
- Best Emerging Filmmaker LGBTQ Short Film or Short Documentary
- Best Emerging Filmmaker Student Short Film
- Best Emerging Filmmaker Student Short Documentary
- Best Emerging Filmmaker High School Film
1. Films accepted for the American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase will be projected via a digital link or off an external hard-drive.
2. Non-English language films must have English subtitles or be dubbed in English.
3. The number of screenings, date, time and location of the screenings of the film are at the discretion of the American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase.
4. If you wish your exhibition hard-drive or thumb drive returned, you must send a self-addressed stamped envelope.
5. The American Pavilion reserves the right to complete any information not supplied by the filmmaker from whatever source available and will not be responsible if incorrect information is entered.
6. Make sure you include your film synopsis.
7. Attach a photocopy of Student Identification for Student and High School Films or make sure your film school is noted in the cover letter or one of the sections.
8. We accept films that are 25 minutes or less.
9. Copyright 2022, 2021 and 2020.
10. Submission fees are non-refundable.
11. Entrant(s) confirms and warrants required legal authority to submit the entry into the Showcase and to use all music, images and content in the entry.
12. Filmmaker(s) accepts responsibility for obtaining any and all clearances necessary to exhibit your film at The American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase in-person or online; (II) warrant that you have the rights necessary to exhibit your film at The American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase in-person or online; (III) indemnify and hold harmless The American Pavilion, all sponsors, affiliates, and subsidiaries and any of their respective directors, officers, employees, staff, volunteers, and representatives against any claim, including attorney's fees, arising out of exhibition, or non-exhibition of your film at The American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase, and (IV) you warrant the submission of your original work and warrant that there are no disputes regarding the ownership of the submission in question.
13. Participation in the American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase implies understanding and acceptance of all terms included in this application.