The 2020 American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase will be the twelfth Juried competition held in The American Pavilion at the Cannes Film Festival. The competition will provide an opportunity for filmmakers to connect with the Cannes Film Festival and Marketplace attendees. Prizes will be awarded to the winning filmmakers. We accept short films and documentaries that are 25 minutes or less. Since 1989, The American Pavilion has offered opportunities in Cannes to film students and emerging filmmakers from around the world, including screenings and showcases for emerging filmmakers in attendance.
Certificate and prizes from various prize award sponsors. One winning competition film will have an opportunity to have their short film broadcast and featured in the KCET Fine Cut Series. We have five jury award categories:
- Best Emerging Filmmaker Short Film
- Best Emerging Filmmaker Short Documentary
- Best Emerging Filmmaker LGBTQ Short Film or Short Documentary
- Best Emerging Filmmaker Student Short Film
- Best Emerging Filmmaker Student Short Documentary
1. Films accepted for the American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase at Cannes will be projected via a digital link off an external hard-drive at the American Pavilion.
2. Non-English language films must have English subtitles or be dubbed in English.
3. The number of screenings, date, time and location of the screenings of the film are at the discretion of the American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase at Cannes.
4. The American Pavilion retains submissions in its film library. If you wish your exhibition hard-drive or thumb drive returned, you must send a self-addressed stamped envelope.
5. The American Pavilion reserves the right to complete any information not supplied by the filmmaker from whatever source available and will not be responsible if incorrect information is entered. Make sure you include your film synopsis and indicate your film school if your film is a student film.
6. Participation in the American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase at Cannes implies understanding and acceptance of all terms included in this application.
7. Attach a photocopy of Student Identification for Student Films and make sure your film school is noted in the cover letter or one of the sections.
8. We accept films that are 25 minutes or less.
9. Copyright 2020, 2019 and 2018.