* All Nominees receive a tailored film review/star rating and the opportunity to screen at the UK's oldest cinema *
Now in our 3rd year, APEX was made by filmmakers for filmmakers to showcase the immense talent from around the world. Our experience within the film industry and on the festival circuit gave us the idea to run our own festival that's specifically aimed at supporting independent films and the filmmakers behind them.
Over the years, we found that many film festivals didn't deliver a positive service and experience from the filmmakers perspective. Lack of communication, missed notification dates and overall effort from a festival can have a detrimental effect on a films festival run. Our goal is to discover talented filmmakers and powerful films that we can celebrate. By entering, you will be amongst the countless multi-award winning films and filmmakers that have submitted their work to us.
The APEX Film Awards is separated into 4 seasons, giving filmmakers the chance to submit throughout the year and take advantage of early bird submission fees. Submitting during a specific season will put your film in competition with every other film submitted during that respective season, resulting in nominees from each category that are then put forward for our live screening and award trophies. Every nominee will receive a tailored film review and star rating which is featured directly on the APEX website. Custom certificates will also be sent out to each filmmaker which can then be printed. Official Selections will not be screened at our live event as it is reserved for award winners but will receive our APEX laurel to use in promotional material. We ensure status updates for each season submitters go out two to three weeks after the final closing date of the season they entered so that we have time to prepare the reviews. Our nominees film reviews will be available on our website to read in full. Award winners will then be notified one month before our live screening.
What's unique about our festival is that all our nominees receive a tailored film review and star rating. Having a detailed film review and star rating is an incredibly useful and effective promotional tool for films to use across social media and within their promotional content. We focus on the films as a whole, not just from a story perspective. We want to recognise the key aspects of the film that often get overlooked. We take time to give credit to the entire cast and crew for their efforts. Our reviews are positive and designed to celebrate the films achievements without needless criticism for the sake of it. Visit our website to take a look at the range of film reviews we've had the opportunity to write. Our award winners seem to love them!
Film Review Submissions:
We’re happy to offer our film reviews as a separate service without the need to submit to our festival. This way you can cut through the need to wait for a decision on if your film won an award or not. Please be aware that while we hope each and every film we receive is of a high standard which we provide a stellar review for, this is not always the case and does not guarantee one for your film. All reviews that are featured through APEX will not be removed simply because you are unhappy with the outcome. Our goal is to support indy filmmakers and give them honest feedback to help promote their films and themselves.
Live Screening Event:
Our live screening event will take place at the UK's oldest operating cinema 'The Dome Cinema' situated in Worthing, West Sussex. The Dome first opened on April 15, 1911 and is known for its history of film and has kept its stunning Victorian design. The event will start with screenings of our award winning films followed by drinks in their themed 'Projectionist' bar. This is an incredible opportunity for filmmakers to see their films screened in a one of a kind venue.
Official Selections: All official selections will be featured through our popular website including full details on the films and filmmakers.
Nominees: All nominees will receive a tailored film review/star rating and be put forward for consideration in our live screening event.
Award Winners: All award winners will screen at our live event at the end of the year and receive an award trophy.
• Best Drama
• Best Comedy
• Best Animation
• Best Sci-Fi
• Best Thriller
• Best Horror
• Best Fantasy
• Best Experimental
• Best Music Video
• Best Documentary
- Short films under 40 minutes
- Music Videos of any length
- Films made from any year
By submitting your film, take note that:
- You agree to use parts of your film (including trailer/teaser/film poster/stills) for promotional purpose by us
- Entry fees are non-refundable
- Multiple entries are allowed for each filmmaker
- The films must include English subtitles (unless the spoken language is English)
- Your film will NOT be uploaded online to any platform
- All reviews are written in English ONLY
- During a given season, we hold the right to not nominate a film within each category if the quality standard is not high enough or due to lack of submissions to consider.
- Official Selections will be featured through our website and not be screened at our live event. This is reserved for award winners only.
- We cannot provide feedback for individual films on their selection status.
We do not accept:
- Extremist or propaganda content from religious or political organizations
- Films including excessively violent or sexually inappropriate content
- Films with a poor production quality or lack of ENGLISH subtitles
We DO NOT offer fee waivers and will not reply to emails requesting one.