With Women X, our goal is to help break down the barriers that underrepresented voices face in the industry. Not only does our weekend-long festival showcase an amazing array of short films from women and non-binary filmmakers, it also brings together people from all across the globe to revel in their love of cinema and support each other in a safe and inclusive space. After the success of 2020, we’ll be bringing back a great variety of workshops, panels, networking opportunities and self-care spaces to supplement our official film selection and ensure that Women X’s culture remains intrinsically connected to community and the championing of one another.
In 2020, for our first ever edition of Women X, moving to a fully digital platform brought with it more positives than we could have ever imagined. Not only were we able to create such a communicative and collaborative space full of amazing creatives from all around the world, but we were also able to make the first installment of Women X festival as inclusive and accessible as possible. We were able to welcome an incredible 180 people from across the globe to our festival! Our current plans are to hold our event both physically in the North East of England and virtually for our digital delegates to continue to be an accessible festival.
All winners will receive a physical award.
Best International Film
Best British Film
North East Award
Best Horror (Dependent on the number of submissions in this genre)
Best Sci-Fi (Dependent on the number of submissions in this genre)
Best LGBTQ (Dependent on number of submissions in this genre)
Best Costume Design
Best Production Design
1. All films must be directed, written, or produced by a woman, female-identifying or non-binary filmmaker. Short films by men are accepted if at least one of the three roles above (director, writer, producer) identifies as female or non-binary.
2. Films must be less than 20 minutes in length
3. All rights to the film must be owned by the filmmakers or cleared (Please check your music).
4. If your film is not in the English language, English subtitles will be required.
5. As a festival striving for equality and accessibility in the film industry, we ask that you kindly provide CC on all films to accommodate to disabled or D/deaf audience members.
You can submit your film without CC, but we ask that if you are selected, they are added before the screening.
6. Films must have been completed after January 2016.
7. Films that do not fall into the above criteria will not be watched or considered, so please ensure that you adhere to the guidelines before submitting.