TRICKY WOMEN/TRICKY REALITIES IS AN ANIMATION FILM FESTIVAL!!!!!!!!! WE ONLY ACCEPT ANIMATED FILMS (at least 50% animated! women and/or genderqueer artists have to be in the directing position- at least 50 %)
The festival focuses on animated films made by women and/or genderqueer artists and therefore fills a unique position within the international festival landscape. Besides the competition the festival shows themed programs and retrospectives to present an exciting overview of the animated cinematic art of female and/or genderqueer artists from around the world and Austrian filmmakers as well.
From gender equality to digitalization, from human rights to the working world to social, economic and ecological questions – for 24 years, Tricky Women/Tricky Realities has been exploring social and political issues from a feminist and artistic perspective and offering new ways of highlighting social inequalities.
Taking place around International Women’s Day, it has become a staple on the festival calendar for many as both a safe space and a place of exchange and networking.
NEW category: VR and AR works
- Maria Lassnig Golden Film Reel, worth 10,000 Euro, donated by Maria Lassnig Foundation
- TRICKY WOMEN/TRICKY REALITIES Award, worth 4,000 Euro, donated by VdFS
- 3-month scholarship to live and work at Q21/MQ under the Artist-in-Residence Program, worth 3,900 Euro
- The Grand Post Award, Post Production Voucher worth 2000 Euro
- Sabine & Nicolai Sawczynski Audience Award International Competition, worth €1 000
- Hubert Sielecki Award for an Austrian Animation worth 500 Euro
- Lumine Award for best VR/AR, worth 500 Euro
- Up & Coming TRICKY WOMEN/TRICKY REALITIES Award
- Audience Award Up&Coming and Austrian Panorama
Our parameters are that at least 50% of the artwork is animated and at least 50% of the directresses are female and/or genderqueer artists.
The preliminary selection committee decides on the details of competition programming. The directing artist/contact person will be informed of the preliminary selection committee’s decision before the start of the festival.
Applicants grant the festival the right to show parts of their production (to a maximum of 3 minutes, in shorter films approximately 10%) on television and/or internet broadcaster.
Preview video files remain with Tricky Women/Tricky Realities for the non-commercial use within the framework of our archive.
By submitting a film, the makers consent to include it in the competition programme or the other non-competitive programs.