The People's Film Festival celebrates the Voice of the People - showcasing films from across the globe.
The festival will take place June 2 - June 4, 2022 and we are pleased to announce that will be back at the AMC Magic Johnson Theater and Maysles Cinema for our 11th edition. We will be operating at full capacity—following New York City COVID rules i.e. vaccination, social distancing & mask requirements. It is our goal to continue the work that needs to be done—essentially providing platforms for creatives to showcase their work.
Rooted in the belief of freedom of speech and media access to all—The People’s Film Festival (TPFF) was founded in 2012 with the goal to provide venues, resources, and information for independent filmmakers, producers and creatives.
Over the last 10 years TPFF has become to be known as the “The Voice of ‘The People”—essentially the place to tell your story your way and have a true impact on that audience. TPFF’s mission is to inspire future creatives and innovators, while exposing audiences of all ages to new tools in technology for storytelling. Many of the filmmakers who screened at TPFF have broaden the outreach for their films to screen at other festivals and venues including, HBO, NetFlix, FOST, PBS- Public Broadcasting Service, Revolt TV and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Library and Archives.
The People’s Film Festival is an initiative of The People’s Media, Music & Arts Foundation (TPMMAF)—which is a 501(c)3 non-profit corporation whose purpose is to promote awareness in independent film, technology, media, music, and art across the globe while encouraging those—particularly in the Harlem New York area, to develop a greater appreciation and understanding for cultural diversity in media.
The People’s Film Festival is held in Harlem, NY, which is not only known for its rich vibrant culture, historic landmarks great music, literature, arts and entertainment—also collectively known as The Harlem Renaissance, but the synergistic atmosphere in which filmmakers and filmgoers alike come comeback each year after year to actively share information, break bread and build relationships.
We are looking for films in all categories and genres i.e—Features, shorts, narratives, webisodes documentaries & Music. This event is open to everyone.
This event is open to everyone.
The Peoples Film Festival recognizes filmmakers for their work and present a “People’s Awards” to winners selected in each category.
Category Winners—A unique custom-designed Award will be presented to the winners of the best films in each category in competition.
Best Documentary Feature
Best Documentary Short
Best Music Video
Best Animation and Experimental.
Special Festival Awards
The "CHANCE" Award
Best "Harlem Filmmaker" Award Films directed by Harlem Filmmaker.
The "Power Of SHE" Films directed by or for women
The "Spirit of The PEOPLE" Award- Recognizing dynamic people whose activism and courage impacts the lives of many.
The People’s Film Festival accepts no responsibility for loss or damage of entries.
If accepted, we will notify filmmakers by email. Programming decisions are made by the festival programmers and our selection committee. Films selected for screening in all categories will be notified on or about April 1, 2022. After acceptance, the final presentational format including electronic press kit materials if available, must be received upon acceptance. Any films not submitted by that date can be disqualified.
All films must be in English or with English subtitles. Foreign films must be dubbed in English or presented in their original language with English language subtitles.
• To be eligible, films MUST NOT HAVE EXHIBITED PUBLICLY IN HARLEM, NY prior to The People’s Film Festival. Priority is given to World Premieres for features & shorts.
• All films must be in English or with English subtitles. Foreign language films must be dubbed in English or presented in their original language with English subtitles.
• Promotional, instructional or industrial films, and raw documentation of performances are not eligible.
• Films must not have been broadcast on US television or online before the festival or commercially released on DVD/Blu-ray, VOD, or for download to the public.
• These rules will be strictly monitored.
• We will accept online payment by credit card, (American Express, Discover, Master Card, and Visa). Please do not send checks, money orders. The nonrefundable Entry fees are in U.S. Dollars, are per film and must be payable in US dollars to The People’s Media Music & Arts Foundation Inc. When submitting to the festival you are agreeing that, if selected and the invitation accepted, to screen the submitted film during the dates of the festival.
• The Festival reserves the right to disqualify a submission, without refund of any kind, if eligibility requirements are not met including if eligibility status changes post-submission. Incomplete entries without proper fees will be rejected.
• TPFF does not pay any screening fees for presentation of the film during the festival.
• ALL SUBMISSIONS SHOULD BE SENT TO US AS SECURE ONLINE SCREENERS. TPFF no longer accepts DVD/BluRay screeners as standard submissions.
• You can submit via FilmFreeway or a password protected streaming link. Our preference is Vimeo, however, TPFF will accept links to other streaming sites that is unlisted i.e. private YouTube that is not linked to the public or by filling out our online entry forms.
• Filmmakers may submit more than one film however, each film must have its own Entry Form and Entry Fee.
• Premiere Status - We accept all films, however, priority will be given to World Premiere and Harlem related stories.
• Completion Date - There is no mandatory completion date for your film submission.
• Prior Screenings - Entries must not have been broadcast (televised) on US television or online before the festival.
• Prior Submission - Films previously submitted to TPFF will only be considered if they reapply as a new submission with 60% changes to your film, including all applicable entry fees.
• Completed & Signed Entry Form POSTMARKED by the deadline.
Submission of your work confirms that The People’s Film Festival is hereby granted the right to utilize any film including promotional stills and information submitted and accepted during the Festival and/or at any other Festival event for promotional purposes in The People’s Film Festival - MUSIC EDITION 2021. The individual or corporation submitting the film hereby warrants that it is authorized to commit the film for screening, and understands and accepts these requirements and regulations for participation in The People’s Film Festival. The individual or corporation also warrants there are no disputes regarding the ownership of the submission and this film is not subject to any litigation nor is any litigation threatened. The individual or corporation also warrant the submitted material does not defame or invade the rights of any person living or dead and will indemnify and hold harmless The People’s Film Festival, The People’s Public Media Awards of Excellence, The People’s Media, Music & Arts Foundation, Record Drop, its directors, management, staff, and sponsors, and defend them against all claims, demands, losses damages, judgments, liabilities and expenses (including attorney's fees) which may be incurred by reason of any claim involving copyright, trademark, credits, publicity, screening, and loss of or damage to the screening videos screened or entered arising out of TPFF’s exhibition and promotion of said film- should such film be programmed as part of the 2022 People’s Film Festival.
FOR A COMPLETE LIST OF SUBMISSION RULES & ENTRY INFO go to