Join us for the third annual Southeast Michigan Film Festival!
Some exciting news: If your film was created in Michigan (meaning it was shot/produced/edited in Michigan), submissions are free for the entirety of our Call For Entries!
Our mission is simple: to bring filmmaking culture to Michigan and showcase the talents of independent filmmakers.
We believe film can bring together communities through storytelling, creating common ground for people of all ages and backgrounds. We will be accepting a wide variety of genres in order to create an environment with something for everyone. We hope to have local guests to showcase “behind-the-scenes” elements of the entertainment arts for those interested in studying or working in film and theater! Submit your short or feature length film today, in hopes to see it on the big screen!
Disclaimer: Due to concerns surrounding COVID-19, there may be delays in our Notification Date and Exhibition. We will keep submitters and Official Selections updated as often as possible.
Our mission is to showcase independent filmmakers and bring the filmmaking community to Michigan.
Films must have been completed by January 1, 2018 or after. The submitting party ("the Submitter") must have the authority to submit the film to Southeast Michigan Film Festival and share/show it in the United States and Michigan.
For the third festival, we will only be accepting films or documentaries from the United States and Canada.
Films are accepted for selection in the following categories:
Short (up to 40 minutes)
Feature (41 minutes to 105 minutes)
Submitters must be 18 years of age or older to submit.
We do not accept “rough cuts”, trailers or "works in progress". Any submitted will be disqualified from the consideration and selection process.
We do not require premiere status.
The judging process will begin with a committee of previously selected individuals chosen by Sundown Pictures. Once those individuals have rated the films, Sundown Pictures will rate and choose the festival selections and award winners. The films will be viewed a minimum of two times before being finally judged. All selections are final and feedback will not be provided on any submission.
3) Accepting Submission Conditions/Screeners
We accept most genres of film, see www.filmfreeway.com for more information on what will be accepted. We accept digital copies of the screener only. If it is absolutely necessary the copy be physical, please contact us to discuss further. Incomplete entries will not be accepted. All non-English films must have English subtitles.
4) Screening Fees
We will not be charging for submission, provided the submission has come in before the “Late Deadline”. After the “Late Deadline”, we will charge $10/submission.
Open for Submissions: May 1, 2020
Regular Deadline: August 1, 2020 Feature: $0 | Short: $0 | Michigan: $0
Late Deadline: September 1, 2020 Feature: $10 | Short: $10 | Michigan: $0
Notification Date: September 30, 2020
Dates subject to change due to COVID-19 concerns.
6) Southeast Michigan Film Festival Competition
Southeast Michigan Film Festival is a competitive festival with four award categories. The festival will not entertain any requests for review nor consider any complaints. There will be no cash prize provided for any of the awards. The award will be presented in the form of a trophy.
Best Short, Best Director, Best Writer, Showcase Feature
7) Exhibition Format
Southeast Michigan Film Festival exhibits all films in mp4 format and may elect to screen using other formats including DCP. Complete details will be provided to all selected films.
8) Film Withdrawal Policy:
The film submitted may be withdrawn any time before the selection notification date, September 30th, 2020. After the film has been selected officially, it will no longer be able to be withdrawn. Sundown Pictures also has the ability to remove a submission from consideration at any point at its own discretion, as well as from having been officially selected.
9) Changes to Film Status
Southeast Michigan Film Festival, along with Sundown Pictures must be informed in writing of any changes:
- which may prevent the film from being selected or
- that may affect the legality of any such screenings or
- that affect the credibility of the film; and
- as to the person responsible for the film
Failure to do so may result in the film being withdrawn at Sundown Pictures‘s discretion.
10) Film EPK
Upon selection, all required information about the film must be provided to Southeast Michigan Film Festival, along with Sundown Pictures.
The Submitter confirms that all clearances and releases have been obtained for the film and will indemnify Southeast Michigan Film Festival, along with Sundown Pictures and the Sanctuary Detroit from any third party claims for the screening or publication of the film or any materials associated with it.
Upon selection, Southeast Michigan Film Festival, along with Sundown Pictures and the Sanctuary Detroit is authorized to use the publicity materials related to the film (i.e. press kits, posters, stills, etc.) for promotional purposes and to broadcast or screen clips up to a maximum of three minutes, as well as the film submitted for public exhibition and programming at the festival.
I, the Submitter, have the sole and exclusive ownership of all rights related to the submitted production and/or have the full authority to submit the production to Southeast Michigan Film Festival and bind all other third parties with an interest in the film (director, producer, sales agent or film distributor) to this Agreement. I also agree that:
1. I have read and agree to the Terms and Conditions above and accept the same.
2. Southeast Michigan Film Festival, along with Sundown Pictures's decision as to the selection of films into its program and the competition finalists is final and binding.
3. Upon written confirmation of selection as detailed above, I will not withdraw the film from Southeast Michigan Film Festival’s program.
4. I will provide the agreed formats noted above to Southeast Michigan Film Festival in a timely manner and this should not be any later than four weeks prior to the start of the festival program.
5. Southeast Michigan Film Festival, Sundown Pictures and/or the Sanctuary Detroit do not pay any screening fees for the film.
6. I authorize Sundown Pictures, Southeast Michigan Film Festival and the Sanctuary Detroit to program and publicly exhibit the film at its various venues.
7. If I am or become aware of any matters which may prevent the film from being selected or screened, I will immediately inform Southeast Michigan Film Festival, along with Sundown Pictures in writing via email. I accept that failure to do so may result in the film being withdrawn at Sundown Pictures’s discretion.
8. I agree that if the film is selected for screening at the Southeast Michigan Film Festival, it may utilize publicity materials related to the production (i.e. press kits, posters, stills, etc.) for promotional purposes and to broadcast or screen clips up to a maximum of three minutes.
9. For the purposes of this submission, the Parties agree that any notice will be deemed delivered to the other party at the date and time specified by mail confirmation, email receipt/delivery confirmation or confirmation of post.
10. I confirm that I have the authority to enter into this Agreement.
Sundown Pictures, Southeast Michigan Film Festival and/or The Sanctuary Detroit are in no way liable for any lawsuits or pursuance of retribution brought against the film or the filmmakers, distributors, agents, lawyers, or other entities or persons associated with the film.
Sundown Pictures, Southeast Michigan Film Festival and/or The Sanctuary Detroit are in no way liable for exhibiting the film submitted by the Submitter. When the Submitter submits the film via FilmFreeway or in any other correspondence, the Submitter agrees to the exhibition of the film (if selected or otherwise).
Sundown Pictures, Southeast Michigan Film Festival and/or The Sanctuary Detroit have no attachments to the film submitted by the Submitter, other than the ability to exhibit at this festival and this festival alone.
Sundown Pictures, Southeast Michigan Film Festival and/or The Sanctuary Detroit are in no way liable for any damage done to any physical copies of the film sent into the festival, or during the festival.
These rules and terms may be altered or modified in any way by the Southeast Michigan Film Festival directors and/or Sundown Pictures at any time at their discretion without notification.
I, The Submitter, have read the above and agree to comply accordingly. I, The Submitter, undertake that the information provided in this Entry is complete and correct. By submitting the film, I, The Submitter, understand and accept this Agreement.
Sundown Pictures is comprised of Blake Redmer, David Vileo, Sean Collins and Lauren Vileo.
For questions or concerns, please e-mail email@example.com.