The South Asian Film Festival of Montreal (SAFFM 2018) is presented by the Kabir Centre for Arts and Culture. www.saffm.centrekabir.com
The Festival screens an eclectic mix of films from the Indian sub-continent and created by filmmakers of South Asian origin from around the world. We aim to showcase work of high artistic merit, presented through the medium of short and feature films, both documentary and fiction. We intend the festival to serve as a platform for upcoming filmmakers to share their future (in-production) work with the Montreal (Quebec/Canadian) community.
Come to enjoy these films, be stimulated and discuss them with our panelists after the screening. The panels include filmmakers, actors, academics, writers, activists, community workers, film critics and film buffs.
Kabir Centre’s mission is to promote harmony and communication among members of the South Asian diaspora and foster their continued engagement with the larger Quebecois and Canadian societies.
1. Best Short Film (Fiction or documentary)
2. Best Feature Film (Fiction or documentary)
3. Audience Choice Award (Fiction or documentary)
1. The films must primarily have content related to countries of the Indian sub continent (South Asia) and/or its diaspora around the globe.
2. The films should have been produced on or after January 2016. The first public release of the film shall be considered as the 'produced on' date.
3. Copyright infringement (even if accidental) will result in disqualification of an entry. By submitting a film, the filmmaker attests to being the copyright holder of the film and warrants that they have full legal authority to submit the film to SAFFM.
4. FILMS WILL BE DISQUALIFIED IF THEY CONTAIN MATERIAL THAT INCITES GENDER-BASED VIOLENCE, HOMOPHOBIA, RACISM OR CRUELTY TOWARDS ANIMALS OF ANY KIND OR WHERE THE CONTENT PARTLY/WHOLLY HAS MATERIAL THAT IS DEROGATORY, HUMILIATING, DEGRADING OR DIRECTLY/INDIRECTLY ATTACKS ANY SOCIAL GROUP, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, ETHNICITY, NATIONALITY OR RELIGION.
4. Films with audio recorded in a language other than English or French are required to provide English or French sub-titles.
5. By submitting your film to SAFFM, you hereby grant permission and a license to SAFFM to screen without any remuneration, use the video clips/stills for promotional and/or other publicity. The use of the film shall not be prejudicial to SAFFM or the Kabir Centre and no claims shall be made against SAFFM for the use of the film.
6. The final film screening submissions are accepted on on Blue Ray DVD, DVD (NTSC) or digital online files/links (and DCP only if no other option is available)
7. By submitting your film for consideration, you agree to facilitate SAFFM in sub-titling your film in French if your film is selected to be screened at the festival. We aim to sub-title several films in French this year and will need an editable version of your film to sub-title it. We will provide you with the sub-titled version when completed.
8. Films will be disqualified if they are publicly available on the Internet, ex: Youtube, Vimeo etc.
9. The submitters guarantee that all rights and releases have been legally secured, including music rights, songs, etc and the submitter releases the Festival and its entire member from any legal action whatsoever.
10. All submission fees are non-refundable.
11. All selection committees' and juries' decisions are final
By submitting to our Festival, submitter/filmmakers:
- indicate that they have read, understand, agree with, and will comply all of the Terms and Condition above, and accept all of the terms and conditions herein, in their entirety, without modification.
- agree to indemnify us and hold us and our employees, owners, affiliates, and partners harmless from all claims and liability associated with your participation or entry to the Festival.
For questions please contact the organizers:
Dipti Gupta: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org