Bonjour cinephiles !! Greetings filmmakers!!
Let us make this year live up to its name- a year of bold and clear eyed 20/20 vision. We are ready to receive films that celebrate the joys and triumphs of the people of the Indian subcontinent. But we also want films that do not flinch from an honest and compassionate look at the struggles and difficult issues faced by ordinary South Asians.
In 2019 SAFFMontreal was graced by the presence of legendary actress Shabana Azmi. In her role as a film producer, she and director Sumantra Ghosal launched our festival with a powerful and absorbing documentary on Shabana Azmi's father, Kaifi Azmi-the progressive Urdu poet, film lyricist and screenwriter. A lively discussion and Q & A followed the screening. It further elaborated Kaifi Azmi's contribution in the pre and post independence years of South Asia's cultural and political history.
The Diaspora Panel again provided an opportunity for South Asian diaspora filmmakers to showcase their films and discuss them with the audience.
The second weekend of the festival was highlighted by the screening of the searing documentary, ''Untying the knot'', in the presence of Bangladeshi-Canadian director, Zana Shammi . It tells the story of three women in abusive marriages. One of them, Rumana Monzur, is a blinded survivor of a domestic attack, who went on to a courageous and successful pursuit of a career in Canada.
So send us an eclectic mix of films that blend artistry with cinematographic merit, in a broad range of stories. Our film festival is presented by Montreal's Kabir Centre for Arts and Culture. (www.centrekabir.com) From the point of view of its social vision, the festival aims to promote harmony and intercultural understanding between the various sections of the South Asian community as well as build bridges with the larger Canadian society. While all themes relevant to the society we live in are welcome, the festival shall not encourage the screening of films which pit one country of South Asia against another.
Film-lovers, come to enjoy these films, be stimulated and discuss them with our panelists after the screening. The panels include filmmakers, actors, academics, writers, activists, community workers, film critics and film buffs.
1. Best Feature Fiction.
2. Best Feature Documentary.
3. Best Short Film -Fiction.
4. Best Short Film-Documentary.
5. Audience Choice awards in the above categories.
1. The films must primarily have content related to countries of the Indian sub continent (South Asia) and/or their diaspora communities around the globe. Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Tibet are included in our classification of “South Asian” countries.
2. The films should have been produced on or after January 2018. The first public release of the film shall be considered as the 'produced on' date.
3. Copyright infringement (even if accidental) will result in disqualification of an entry. By submitting a film, the filmmaker ( and/or the person submitting the film on the filmmaker’s behalf) attests to being the copyright holder of the film and warrants that they have full legal authority to submit the film to SAFFM.
4.Films will be disqualified if they contain material that incites gender-based violence, homophobia, racism or cruelty to animals of any kind or where the content partly/wholly has material that is derogatory, humiliating, degrading or directly/indirectly attacks any social group, sexual orientation, ethnicity, nationality or religion.
5. By submitting your film to SAFFM, you hereby grant permission and a license to SAFFM to screen the entire film, without any remuneration or "screening fee", for the event. and to use the video clips/stills for promotional and/or other publicity. The use of the film shall not be prejudicial to SAFFM or the Kabir Centre and no claims shall be made against SAFFM for the use of the film.
By submitting the film to the festival, it is understood that the film can be screened, free of charge, at its festival in Montreal and its extension at one or two other cities in the province of Quebec.
6. Films with audio recorded in a language other than English or French are required to provide English or French sub-titles
By submitting your film for consideration, you agree to SAFFM sub-titling your film in any other language. We aim to sub-title several films in French this year and will need an editable version of your film to sub-title it.
The filmmaker should be prepared to provide subtitle files
in srt form so that English subtitles can be translated into French
subtitles and vice versa (by SAFFMontreal).
The initial submission of the film, in Apple ProRes 422 format in as high a resolution as possible, should be accompanied, among other things, by either a MSWord or an SRT. file of subtitles with timings. For films entirely in English or in French, a file of the script with timings in MSWord format is to be submitted.
7.If your film is selected for the Festival the subtitled film should be submitted as a non-returnable DVD or BluRay disc to be used as a back up to the digital file earlier received.
8. Any film that has not had a commercial theatrical release in Montreal before November 4, 2020 will be eligible for submission and final selection.
Films will be disqualified if they are publicly and freely available on the Internet, e.g. Youtube, Vimeo etc. Films already available on commercial platforms like Netflix or Amazon will only be selected in exceptional cases as determined by the selection committee.
9. The submitter guarantees that all rights and releases have been legally secured, including music rights, songs, etc and the submitter releases the SAFFM and the Kabir Centre for Arts and Culture and its entire member from any legal action whatsoever.
10. All submission fees are non-refundable.
11. All selection committees' and juries' decisions are final.
12. Upon selection and notification the withdrawal of the film is not permissible.
By submitting to our Festival, submitter/filmmakers:
- indicate that they have read, understand, agree with, and will comply all of the Terms and Condition above, and accept all of the terms and conditions herein, in their entirety, without modification.
- agree to indemnify us and hold us and our employees, owners, affiliates, and partners harmless from all claims and liability associated with your participation or entry to the Festival.
For questions please contact the organizers:
Dushyant Yajnik at firstname.lastname@example.org
T. K. Raghunathan at email@example.com ,
Raja Bhattacharya at firstname.lastname@example.org