The South Asian Film Festival of Montreal (SAFFM 2019) is presented by the Kabir Centre for Arts and Culture. www.saffm.centrekabir.com
The Festival screens an eclectic mix of films that have content related to countries of the Indian subcontinent (South Asia) and its diaspora communities around the globe. Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Tibet are included in the classification of “South Asian".
We aim to showcase work of high artistic merit, presented through the medium of short and feature films, both documentary and fiction. We also intend the festival to serve as a platform for upcoming filmmakers to share their future (in-production) work with the Montreal (Quebec/Canadian) community.
Kabir Centre’s social vision is to promote harmony among the people of South Asian diaspora living in Canada and building bridges with the larger Canadian society.
Come to enjoy these films, be stimulated and discuss them with our panelists after the screening. The panels include filmmakers, actors, academics, writers, activists, community workers, film critics and film buffs.
1. Best Short Film (Fiction or documentary)
2. Best Feature Fiction
3 Best Feature Documentary.
3. Audience Choice Awards (Fiction, Documentary and Short film)
1. The films must primarily have content related to countries of the Indian sub continent (South Asia) and/or their diaspora communities around the globe. Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Tibet are included in our classification of “South Asian” countries.
2. The films should have been produced on or after January 2017. The first public release of the film shall be considered as the 'produced on' date.
3. Copyright infringement (even if accidental) will result in disqualification of an entry. By submitting a film, the filmmaker ( and/or the person submitting the film on the filmmaker’s behalf) attests to being the copyright holder of the film and warrants that they have full legal authority to submit the film to SAFFM.
4.Films will be disqualified if they contain material that incites gender-based violence, homophobia, racism or cruelty to animals of any kind or where the content partly/wholly has material that is derogatory, humiliating, degrading or directly/indirectly attacks any social group, sexual orientation, ethnicity, nationality or religion.
5. By submitting your film to SAFFM, you hereby grant permission and a license to SAFFM to screen the entire film, without any remuneration or "screening fee", for the event. and to use the video clips/stills for promotional and/or other publicity. The use of the film shall not be prejudicial to SAFFM or the Kabir Centre and no claims shall be made against SAFFM for the use of the film.
6. Films with audio recorded in a language other than English or French are required to provide English or French sub-titles
By submitting your film for consideration, you agree to SAFFM sub-titling your film in any other language. We aim to sub-title several films in French this year and will need an editable version of your film to sub-title it.
The filmmaker should be prepared to provide subtitle files
in srt form so that English subtitles can be translated into French
subtitles and vice versa (by SAFFMontreal).
The initial submission of the film, in Apple ProRes 422 format in as high a resolution as possible, should be accompanied, among other things, by either a MSWord or an SRT. file of subtitles with timings. For films entirely in English or in French, a file of the script with timings in MSWord format is to be submitted.
7.If your film is selected for the Festival the subtitled film should be submitted as a non-returnable DVD or BluRay disc to be used as a back up to the digital file earlier received.
8. Films will be disqualified if they are publicly available on the Internet, e.g. Youtube, Vimeo etc. The film should not be available on commercial platforms like Netflix or Amazon, in Canada, before November 4 2019. Any film that has not had a theatrical release in Montreal before November 4, 2019 will be eligible for submission and final selection.
9. The submitter guarantees that all rights and releases have been legally secured, including music rights, songs, etc and the submitter releases the SAFFM and the Kabir Centre for Arts and Culture and its entire member from any legal action whatsoever.
10. All submission fees are non-refundable.
11. All selection committees' and juries' decisions are final.
12. Upon selection and notification the withdrawal of the film is not permissible.
By submitting to our Festival, submitter/filmmakers:
- indicate that they have read, understand, agree with, and will comply all of the Terms and Condition above, and accept all of the terms and conditions herein, in their entirety, without modification.
- agree to indemnify us and hold us and our employees, owners, affiliates, and partners harmless from all claims and liability associated with your participation or entry to the Festival.
For questions please contact the organizers:
T. K. Raghunathan at email@example.com ,
Dushyant Yajnik at firstname.lastname@example.org