QueerX is a one-of-a-kind festival celebrating the world of brilliant digital content, created by and for the global queer community. QueerX brings you to the intersection of music, film and industry. Inclusive of all identities, the festival pushes boundaries the same way our community does by fostering connection and empowering queer voices. This year for the very first time QueerX is expanding the festival to include feature length projects.
Originally founded as Out Web Fest in 2016, QueerX broke the mold of other festivals by giving prominence to honest and unfiltered digital short-form storytelling. Beyond screenings, this unique festival also invites cutting edge musicians to showcase their sound through live performances including panels with top industry experts, providing ample opportunity to meet future collaborators and build professional relationships. QueerX aims to create a space where artists, industry professionals and enthusiasts alike can connect while exploring the future of queer entertainment.
Virtual screening and voting for QueerX will start September 30, 2022 and voting will end October 7, 2022. Winners will be announced on October 11, 2022 during QueerX Live!
During QueerX, our annual Powerhouse Industry Pitchfest gives creators the rare opportunity to pitch projects one-on-one to top producers and production companies.
QueerX is happy to continue our partnership with the Rio Web Fest, offering an extraordinary International Audience Award prize: one ticket for travel, accommodations and entry into Rio Web Fest in beautiful Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
Awards & Prizes
Audience Awards will be given in the following categories:
During the screening period, all submissions will play on the 24/7 live QueerX Channel, the viewing audience will have the opportunity to vote via text for most outstanding entry for each category. One vote per day, per category. The winners of the Jury Awards will be announced at QueerX Live!
1. General Rules
QueerX 2022 is seeking short-form video content intended for initial exhibition on the web and which is created by or featuring the gay, lesbian, transgender, bisexual, pansexual, and queer communities. QueerX accepts all manner of content that explores themes associated with the LGBTQ+ identity but is encouraging programming submitted as part of a larger series (i.e. web series/serials).
2. Selection of Content
Submissions are reviewed and selected under the following criteria:
• Quality of narrative and production values;
• Conformity to the Category Criteria;
• Independent nature of the production;
• LGBTQ leading character(s), storyline, or plot;
• Directed, Produced, and/or written by LGBTQ+.
3. Submission Deadlines
• Regular Submissions - March 1, 2022- March 31, 2022
• Late Submissions - April 1, 2022- April 30, 2022
• Really Late Submissions - May 1, 2022 – May 31, 2022
4. Awards & Prizes
• "Audience Awards" will be given in the following categories:
o Music Video
5. Submission Fees
• Regular Submission - $35 (USD)
• Late Submission - $45 (USD)
• Really Late Submission - $55 (USD)
• Submission Fees are non-refundable.
• Submission payment made through FilmFreeway.com.
• Payment must be completed at the time of submission.
7. Incomplete Project
Incomplete projects or those that are in a state of production or post at the time of submission are still eligible for consideration if submitted within the above noted deadlines and if a complete submission is received by March 15, 2020. If you are submitting an incomplete project please email firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Incomplete Project” identified in the subject line. In addition, supply a thorough synopsis of the project, including a description of the shortcomings (i.e. color correction, dubbing, etc.), credits (as complete as possible), a tentative date for completion, and either an example of previous work (e.g. a web series, music video, etc.) or rough footage of the submission. We will contact you if additional information is needed.
8. Instructions for Submission
Please direct all Submissions through the Official QueerX 2022 Festival Page on FilmFreeway. Be sure to read these Festival Guidelines, Official Rules, and the Submission Terms & Conditions carefully and direct any and all questions regarding submissions, along with contact information, to: email@example.com. Please indicate “QueerX Submission Inquiry” in the subject field and include the following information in the body of the email: (1) a link to your project; (2) a short synopsis; (3) credits; and, (4) your contact information so that our festival support may address your concern promptly. A Submission constitutes agreement to our Festival Guidelines, Official Rules, and the Submission Terms & Conditions below so please read carefully.
1. All material submitted for consideration (“Material(s)”) must conform to all of the requirements contained in the Festival Guidelines, these Official Rules, and the Submission Terms & Conditions.
2. All persons submitting Material (“Entrants”) must be 18 years or older.
3. Any Material that is inaccessible, incomplete, or otherwise unavailable to QueerX on the festival days, September 30, 2022- October 7, 2022 (the “Event”), shall not be eligible for screening.
4. Where the Material is a web series, you must have at least one (1) episode completed by the date of June 15, 2022 and ALL completed episodes of the season must be submitted for consideration and subject to the Terms hereof.
5. There is no limit on the length of Material submitted for consideration.
6. All email submissions must include:
1) A link to the Material (if set to private, please provide a password);
2) A short synopsis of the Material;
3) A complete list of credits;
4) Contact information of Entrant including:
1. Full Name
2. Company (if any)
4. Phone Number
5. Email Address
7. Genre Categories include:
4) Music Video
Please choose a genre that best depicts your Material - one genre per entry. Notwithstanding the foregoing, PORNOGRAPHY WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. If QueerX determines that the incorrect genre may have been chosen, we will do our best to contact the submitter regarding reclassification.
8. Once the Material is selected by QueerX (“Official Selection(s)”), and upon QueerX 's request, the Entrant must submit an information package which shall include the following (where applicable):
1) Bios of the content creators
2) A selection of electronic images or website
3) DVD (NTSC format only) for broadcast purposes.
QueerX may contact Entrant with further instructions in the future.
9. An Entrant may submit more than one work for consideration but each work must have a separate submission form and entry fee.
10. The same Material may be submitted for entry into more than one genre but a separate submission form and submission fee must be paid for each submission.
11. All non-English submissions must either be dubbed in English or have English subtitles.
12. All Material must be the intellectual property of the Entrant(s) or the Entrant(s) must have permission for use of all content rights, including music contained in the Material (e.g. a music video). The Entrant agrees to provide proof of the foregoing upon request.
13. No proxy submissions.
14. QueerX reserves the rights to use all Material including title, digital project including video clips (trailer, teaser) for presentation of awards and in the promotion and advertising of the Event and otherwise..
15. All Official Selections will be judged according to the same criteria for their respective genre.
16. All Entrants with chosen Official Selections must execute and return to QueerX a license agreement within seven (7) business days of notification of selection (“License Agreement”). QueerX will contact the selected Entrant with further instructions. Failure to abide by the foregoing will result in the removal of the Official Selection from the Event.
17. All State & Federal laws apply.
18. By entering the Material, each Entrant is bound by the Festival Guidelines, these Official Rules, and the Submission Terms & Conditions. QueerX reserves the right to amend any of the foregoing at any time.
19. Only Entrants with Official Selections will be notified by email.
20. QueerX may reject any Material for any reason whatsoever.
21. Category Criteria
1) Comedy. Comedic content with one of the following: LGBTQ+ plot, theme, character or storyline. Can be any live-action work that is not specifically drama. May include comedic horror or non-linear/non-narrative (e.g. stand-up comedy).
2) Drama. Dramatic content with one of the following: LGBTQ+ plot, theme, character or storyline. Can be any live-action, narrative-driven that is not specifically comedy. May include horror or science fiction.
3) Documentary. A documentary with one of the following: LGBTQ+ plot, theme, news story or interview. This could be a documentary non-fiction series or another work that utilized non-fiction material to construct a story, an argument, and/or a statement to generate conversation and explore real world issues. Works that strive to expand the formal content and/or storytelling boundaries, the motion picture arts, and that express passion or personal involvement with the medium.
5) Feature. Feature length content (45 minutes or more in length) with one of the following: LGBTQ+ plot, theme, character or storyline. Can be any live-action, narrative-driven.
4) Music Video. An original visual accompaniment and/or representation of a piece of original music (generally between 3-5 minutes in length). Can include unofficial music videos, parodies, fan/tributes, or underground.
22. Once you have been informed that you have submitted an Official Selection, you will be given the opportunity to submit your preference for the specific episode or unit of your material (“Unit”) you would prefer to screen. However, it is agreed and understood that, notwithstanding the foregoing, the manner in which the Material is screened, presented, or otherwise exhibited, including what Unit is selected, shall be determined by QueerX in its sole discretion.
23. Entrant with an Official Selection must also supply the following upon request:
• A video teaser of max 15 seconds of the Material;
• The official trailer of the submitted Material (max 2 minutes).
24. QueerX is not responsible for the travel or lodging of any Entrants who attend the Event.
25. In the event that QueerX requests and receives physical copies of any of the Material (DVD, SD cards, USB sticks, etc.), QueerX shall not be responsible for returning the same.
26. Submissions Close: 11:59 PM PST on May 31, 2022
SUBMISSION TERMS & CONDITIONS
The following Submission Terms & Conditions are hereby incorporated into the Official Rules and are by and between QueerX (“QueerX”) and myself (“I,” “me,” or “Entrant”). The Festival Guidelines, the Official Rules, and these Submission Terms & Conditions are hereinafter collectively referred to as the "Agreement." All capitalized terms shall have the same meaning as set forth in this Agreement.
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING TERMS AND CONDITIONS CAREFULLY.
In exchange for the opportunity for my Material to be considered for exhibition at the Event, and other good and valuable consideration – including the opportunity for publicity – the receipt and sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged, by submitting my Material to QueerX I am agreeing to all of the following:
1. OWNERSHIP. QueerX and the Entrant agree that: (a) the terms of this Agreement shall not confer in Entrant any rights of ownership in the Event or any part thereof (including, but not limited to, all rights of copyright) which shall remain exclusively in QueerX; (b) Entrant grants QueerX the right to tape, photograph, and record Entrant’s voice, conversation and sounds, including any performance of any musical composition(s), during and in connection with my appearance at or in connection with the Event and that QueerX shall be the exclusive owner of the results and proceeds of such taping, photography, and recording with the right, throughout the world, an unlimited number of times in perpetuity, to copyright, to use and to license others to use, in any manner, and in all media, now known or hereafter devised, all or any portion thereof or of a reproduction thereof in and in connection with the Event; and (c) by entering into this Agreement, Entrant is agreeing that QueerX may use and license others to use, with and in connection to the Event, Entrant’s name, voice, likeness and certain biographical material, in any and all media and in the promotion, advertising, sale, publicizing and exploitation of and in connection with the Event, throughout the world in all media, an unlimited number of times in perpetuity, without any obligation to me whatsoever regarding royalties or residuals.
2. LICENSE. Entrant hereby grants to QueerX, and its direct and indirect parents, subsidiaries and affiliates an irrevocable, royalty-free and non-exclusive license to reproduce, distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, transmit, broadcast, and/or otherwise use and exploit the Material or any portion thereof, including without limitation images and/or footage including or incorporating the Material, and the right to prepare derivatives based on the Material solely for the purpose of advertising, marketing, promoting, and otherwise exploiting the Event and QueerX in any manner and in and on any form, method, or media now known or hereinafter devised. I hereby agree to waive any right that I may have to inspect or approve QueerX's use of the Material in connection with the Event and/or the advertising, promotion and/or marketing thereof. I further waive and relinquish any right that I have or may hereafter have in any jurisdiction, to so called "moral rights" or rights of "droit moral" with respect to results and proceeds of the Material and agree, represent, and warrant that QueerX may combine, alter or modify such Material (at its option and in its sole discretion) without the consent of any third party.
3. REPRESENTATIONS & WARRANTIES. I hereby represent, warrant and covenant to the following: (a) I have read and agree to the Agreement, (b) I have the full and legal power and authority to accept the Agreement and to grant the rights outlined herein; (c) no other consents, authorizations or payments are necessary to permit QueerX full use and enjoyment of the rights granted herein; (d) I will undertake and perform all of my obligations pursuant to this Agreement in compliance with all applicable federal, state and local rules, laws and regulations; (e) QueerX's use of the Material, and the exercise of the granted rights, shall not infringe upon or violate the copyrights, trademarks, trade names, rights of privacy or publicity or any other personal or proprietary rights of any person or entity, nor constitute defamation nor otherwise result in any third party liability to QueerX or its successors, assigns or licensees; and (f) I have paid and will continue to pay in full all licenses, clearance fees, and any other obligations of any kind necessary for QueerX's full exercise of the granted rights.
4. INDEMNIFICATION. Entrant agrees to release, discharge, defend (at QueerX's election), indemnify and hold harmless QueerX, Damian Media Inc., the Judges, and each of their respective direct and indirect parents, subsidiaries, affiliated and related entities, and each of the respective principals, shareholders, officers, directors, members, employees, contractors, representatives, agents, successors, licensees and assigns of each of the foregoing (collectively, the “Indemnitees”) from and against any and all claims, liabilities, losses, damages, expenses, demands and costs based upon or related to: (a) a breach of any of Entrant's representations, warranties or agreements hereunder; (b) the negligence or willful misconduct of Entrant’s agents, contractors, employees, invitees, licensees or representatives; (c) materials appearing in the Materials or otherwise that were provided to QueerX (or any of its agents) by Entrant (including intellectual property owner by or submitted by Entrant); (d) the QueerX or the Indemnitees use of the Materials hereunder; and, (e) the Event or resulting from acceptance, possession, or use of the prize/awards. Entrant further agrees that Entrant must not assert or maintain, or consent that others assert or maintain, any claim or action of any kind whatsoever against QueerX or the Indemnitees, including without limitation on the ground that (y) anything contained in the Event or in the distribution and advertisements of the Event or (z) the use by QueerX and Indemnitees of the Materials, Entrant’s intellectual property violates or otherwise infringes any of Entrant’s rights or portrays Entrant in a defamatory, false and/or negative light.
5. ASSIGNMENTS. This Agreement may not be assigned nor delegated by Entrant without the written consent of QueerX. QueerX may freely assign its rights and obligations under this Agreement in whole or in part to any third party. This Agreement and the rights granted herein shall inure to the benefit of QueerX and its successors, assigns, licensees, and related entities.
6. NO OBLIGATION TO USE THE SUBMITTED MATERIALS. Nothing herein shall be deemed to obligate QueerX to use the Materials nor Entrant's name, voice, likeness, and biographical information in or in connection with the Event or otherwise.
7. NO GUARANTEES. I agree, on behalf of myself that QueerX has made no claims, representations or guarantees, and has provided no assurances, in relation to the internal process utilized by the QueerX with respect to selection of Material for inclusion in the Event and that the submission of the Material neither imposes nor creates any obligation or responsibility on the part of the QueerX to provide me or my or their related parties with comments, feedback or other information pertaining to the viewing or consideration of the Material by the Event for possible inclusion in the Event.
8. NON-WAIVER. No provision of this Agreement shall be deemed waived, modified or amended by either party unless such waiver, modification or amendment shall be in writing and signed by both parties hereto. A waiver of any of the terms or conditions of this Agreement in any instance shall not be deemed or construed to be a waiver of such term or condition for the future.
9. GOVERNING LAW; ARBITRATION. This Agreement is governed by and made with reference to the laws of the State of California without regard to its conflict of law rules. The parties hereby agree that any controversy, claim or dispute between the Entrant and QueerX (including the Indemnitees) relating to or arising out of this Agreement will be submitted to final, confidential and binding arbitration before a single, neutral arbitrator in Los Angeles County, California, for determination in accordance with the rules and procedures of ADR Services, Inc., (viewable at http://www.adrservices.org/rules.php), as such will be amended from time to time, as the exclusive remedy for such controversy, claim, or dispute. The arbitrator must issue a written decision stating the essential findings and conclusions on which the award is based, and will have full authority to award all remedies that would be available in court. By agreeing to this binding arbitration provision, the parties give up all rights to a trial by jury.
10. REMEDIES. In the event of breach by QueerX, Entrant waives equitable relief and its respective remedies including any right to (a) terminate this Agreement; (b) rescind or terminate QueerX's right, title and interest in and to the Materials or the Event; or (c) enjoin, restrain or otherwise impair in any manner the production, distribution, advertising or exploitation of the Material and/or the Event. Entrant understands that any remedies that Entrant may have against QueerX or the Indemnitees in connection with the Materials and/or the Event shall be limited solely to an action for damages at law.
11. FURTHER DOCUMENTS. Entrant agrees to execute, deliver, file any and all further instruments, and do any other acts as may be reasonably required by QueerX or its assignees or licensees to further evidence, effectuate, or carry out the purposes of this Agreement.
12. HEADINGS. The headings at the beginning of each of the paragraphs hereof are for reference only and shall not affect the meaning or construction of this Agreement.
13. SEVERABILITY. In the event that any term or provision of this Agreement shall be held invalid by a competent court or governmental agency, the remainder of this Agreement shall not be affected thereby, and the parties hereto shall continue to be bound by the remaining terms hereof.
14. ENTIRE UNDERSTANDING. The provisions of this Agreement constitute the entire understanding between the parties hereto with respect to the subject matter hereof. This Agreement will not be construed as creating a joint venture, partnership, agency or employment relationship between the parties hereto nor will either party have the right, power or authority to create any obligation or duty, express or implied, on behalf of the other. No other agreements, or understandings, whether oral or written, shall be deemed to apply the material produced by or on behalf of Entrant or the parties' relative rights and obligations with respect thereto.